Captain America: The Winter Soldier (no spoilers in OP; can't promise about the rest of the thread!)

sabrinathecat

Explorer
This should have been the first one. Really. The history of the character was covered in the story. You could have started this one with the plane diving into the ocean, the Nick Fury scene in modern NYC, and then gone into this movie, and everything would have been perfect.
As is, this is about on par with Blade, X-Men, and X-2. My date was hoping for more Bare Manly Chest scenery.

There are significant deviations from the comics I read, but I stopped reading comics in 1996, so no idea what more recent reboots have done.

The end of credits short clip is cute, but not special. Something I would have expected the characters to do. Maybe as a warm-up/tie in for CA3.

Nice mention of some of the other characters in the Marvel Universe that haven't had films yet (or not since the 70s). Fairly small too (like the mention during Blade:The series of Marc *Moon Knight* Spectre as a leading authority on lycanthropy and phases of the moon), but good touches.

Hoping the artifact weapon from the mid-credits scene gets turned into Grim Reaper's Scythe (pretty sure it won't, but would be neat if it did).

Hoping the artifact weapon from the mid-credits scene gets turned into Grim Reaper's Scythe (pretty sure it won't, but would be neat if it did).

If you mean[sblock] Loki's staff[/sblock] I'm guessing it has something to do with either Avengers 2 or GotG..more than likely Avengers 2 given the rest of that scene

hh05.jpghh04.jpghh06.png

I really liked the action scenes. They just looked and felt right. (Without knowing the comics.)

Visually what I found bothersome was that there were a few scenes where they seemed to have nothing in focus, which made it hard to watch in 3D.

I actually disliked the Hydra involvement. I liked the idea of a more or less subtle conspiracy that used the surveillance and remote weapon tech for evil. (It works better for me as the allegory to our current situation.)
The conspiracy could have been Hydra, but I found it hard to swallow that it were so many Shield agents that were part of it. You would have needed to setup some things differently (so you don't need to fill 3 carriers worth of spies), but it would have been doable on a different scale. I guess it's a comic book action movie neccessity that you need lots of explosions and mooks.

I also liked that they didn't put in any love story between any of the cast.

And I want a Black Widow movie.

Also:

Star Trek/Wars

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Lot's of spoilers, so let's just black it all out:

Plus: The main characters did well. There was a lot of chemistry between Cap'n, and Black Widow, and Falcon.

Plus: The action sequences were well done. Cap'n busting through walls to reach the Winter Soldier, or taking out the VTOL jet. Falcon and Black Widow, and even Nick Fury, get good action scenes.

Plus: Nuances from Black Widow, like when she is shot: She is dealing in a hard way with a lot of stuff that the Captain mostly shrugs off.

Plus: The bits of humor are a nice touch, and are quite funny, despite the movie having a darker outlook on the whole.

Plus: The reveal in the bunker. The reveal of the Winter Soldier, and that Nick Fury was not killed. Although, the Winter Soldier was spoiled by Previews, and Nick Fury surviving was very predictable.

Minus: The Story is not about the Winter Solder, or even about Captain America, it's about SHIELD being compromised, and is really a commentary about the modern surveillance state.

Minus: The story felt like it would work better as a mini-series, with the Hydra reveal being the first half, and the fight to take down SHIELD being the second half. We are given teases that something is amiss at SHIELD,but nothing to indicate that it has been compromised by Hydra. The smaller story of Bucky fits nicely in the Captain America character development, but is too big to fit into the movie without detracting from the main story.

Minus: Taking out the Carriers was absurdly easy. The vital spots were far too easily reached, and far too vulnerable.

Minus: The whole "dumping the database to the internet" cliche.

Thx!

TomB

Remove ads