Cardstock Dungeons

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Download some free ones and try it!

I have built the one that is like a sacrifical altar - very, very easy to do and it looks good.

I have the bridge ones (not from WW, I don't think) and I'll be putting them together this week or next probably. It isn't hard, per se. You just need to put a little time in.

I will be buying more from WW once the chunky dungeons are out in 1" scale. I am tempted to buy castleworks and more if it seems to work well.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
World Works

I haven't bought any world works in a while, but I love the sets that I have. I have the original DungeonWorks, VillageWorks and Interiors:pubs and Inns. The sets are not difficult to build but it does take practice to get them to look nice.
Check out ShatteredDragons builds in the users forum at world works games. His builds are amazing and use a different tecnique to build. Phenomenal stuff.

Now if Streets of Himmel*twitch* would be released, I'd go on a purchasing spree.

Grim

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
E-Z Dungeons was designed from the ground up for beginner card modelers and has oversized glue tabs for easy gluing. You also have the option on many pieces of using double sided tape instead of glue. Here is a link to a demo:

www.tullisart.com/FDG005DEMO.pdf

E-mail me and I'll send you a copy of the instructions to look at as well.

D'karr

Adventurer
The_Gneech said:
My big problem is always one of storage -- once you've built a world in miniature, where do you keep it?

-The Gneech :cool:

A miniature Universe is always a good place to start... :D

I have most of the WorldWorks Games models. They are fantastically detailed and rather easy to put together. The first one I built was "The Maiden". Originally I thought it would be extremely difficult to assemble. I was wrong. The first few parts of the build were slightly challenging but as I got used to working with the materials it went by rather fast.

All that to say that if your first build looks like crap, build two more. With the practice this will become almost second nature.

KaosDevice

Explorer
Ok, just to stick my toe in. After the tedium of putting together cardstock standie Serenity figs (they are cool but yawnsville to assemble). I tried just putting together something easy, a little piano and stool combo from these guys:
http://www.erichotz.com/whitewash2.html

Wow, a little harder then I thought it would be. (Must buy xacto knife after work today and glue stick) I'm going to try something a little more ambitious tonight and see how it goes.

nyrfherdr

First Post
I have several WorldWorks sets to. Both Fantasy and SciFi. They do take a little time to assemble, but it is something you can do with your buddies, with your children (should you have any) or any other hobby minded person, regardless of whether they are into roleplaying.

They look good on the table and if you use miniatures already, can add a lot to play. Especially if you do any multi-level combats.
Storage is a challenge, although I just toss all of my stuff into a bin. If something gets crushed, it either becomes a ruin, or I print out the bits and make another one.

If you put a lot of time into one piece, then you'll want to either display it, or find a better storage method than mine. (Like the ship - "The Maiden"! Not something to toss in a bin).

I haven't tried Fat Dragon Games stuff yet, but some of it looks fantastic and I will likely pick something up when it fits a current game.

I hope that helps.
Game ON!

Conaill

First Post
Storage is of course a common issue for all types of 3D terrain, whether you're talking about cardstock, resin, plaster, or scratch-built (probably *least* so for resin - because the pieces are so damned expensive that few people can afford to buy enough for storage to become a problem ;)). The typical solution is big plastic bins to store stuff in. At least, the cardstock models will weigh the least, and are easiest and cheapest to rebuild if they do get damaged through careless storage. (Yes, they may also be slightly less turdy than the other options, but you'd be surprised at how strong a well-designed and well-built carstock model can be! Some people with experience in multiple technologies have reported they actually stand up *better* against rough player handling than either plaster or scratchbuilt models.)

A few creative storage solutions are possible as well. Buildings can often be stored inside of slighty larger buildings. Sometimes you get a "ruined" version of a building or city wall which fits neatly inside the undamaged version (allowing for a nicely dramatic reveal during the game). Some people have even started hanging models against a wall (especially if they're secured by velcro - one of the mounting options WWG offers). And of course, some are nice enough to find a place as a prominent display piece in your home, or even your favorite FLGS (the Maiden, for example, graces many a coffe table or book shelf...).

Do keep in mind that most of these models are very modular. So, unless you start gluing things down into huge dioramas, you really only need one or a few copies of each piece for most game purposes. Think "a few plastic bins with modular pieces", rather than "stacks and stack of dioramas" (although the latter has been known to happen as well :D).

D'karr

Adventurer
KaosDevice said:
How hard is the Maiden to build? It looks nifty but also like a great deal of work.

Overall I'd say it was simple to build. Not necessarily a beginner's set but pretty close. The only parts of it that required a very agile touch are the masts. Those are really fiddly bits.

The bow also is a little bit difficult to assemble but if you follow the directions it is easier to assemble than the masts.

Total construction time was about 20 hours (over a two week period).

To save you some hassle, print everything first and assemble in groups. For example, print all the pages for the whole build but concentrate on building only one piece at a time (i.e., Forecastle, Captain's Cabin, etc.)

The only concern with this set is warping. I avoided it by using 3M spray on glue. But I had to create my own way of building to account for the fast set time of the glue. I precut, scored and prefolded the pieces I was building before applying glue. I also had to mask certain pieces so that glue would end up on one side and not the other. However, using a glue stick you should be fine just following their directions.

The WWG folks have a fantastic community and lots of help is always provided on the WWG Forums.

Remove ads