Cardstock Dungeons

Digital M@

Explorer
What companies sell the stuff already printed out on heavy card stock? I do not want to print it all out, I would rather pay a few extra dollars for quality laser printing and nice heavy stock paper.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Difficulty for building varies widely from set to set, Fat Dragon's EZ Dungeons are in fact pretty easy, and the old Dungeon Works set from World Works is also simple (you can get it from the World Works website, but it is no longer on RPGNow).

Dungeon Works was actually the first set that I helped build for a friend, before I ever purchased any World Works terrain for myself, he stored them first in cardboard boxes for the trip back to New Hampshire, then in an 'Under the bed' storage box once he got home - tucking the box up on top of his suspended ceiling rather than under his bed.

Gothic Realms is a great deal more involved, and a much more versatile set, but I find that I use Interior Works: Castles & Keeps more often when building things, it is less ornamented and has some pieces that I find more useful. The exception are the Sewers tiles from Gothic Relams, which have I built more of than everything else put together. (I ran a Mordheim game for two years, and came up with a batch of sewer tiles for battles in the stinking depths... oddly, the Skaven did rather poorly down there....)

I have not built much of the FD EZ Dungeons, just enough to check it out. Not quite to my tastes since I prefer something that has a bit more stonework, but my problems are purely those of taste, not with the mechanics of the set itself. (The FD Fighter Bays on the other hand... Those I very much like indeed! :))

I use foam core for the bases, not for the buildings, it makes them much easier to handle.

Right now I building terrain for a summer program, and need to get back to it, once I can stand the smell of Elmer's again. :p (Thirty buildings done so far, a mix of Village Works and WotC foldup terrain.)

The Auld Grump, who has way too many cardstock buildings to finish...

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Digital M@ said:
What companies sell the stuff already printed out on heavy card stock? I do not want to print it all out, I would rather pay a few extra dollars for quality laser printing and nice heavy stock paper.

The only ones that I know of that are pre-printed these days are the Map Folio 3D from WotC andChunky Dungeons from World Works and Do Or Dice.

Before Christmas you could buy Chunky Dungeons for half price, but I see that it has gone back up to full price. CD is scaled for 1.5 inch base 'clix' figures, and contains the files to print up more terrain on a CD. (A CD CD?)

Oh, and because I forgot to mention it above the best piece of cardstock gaming terrain that I know of is:

07%7E7.jpg

The Maiden of the High Seas, by World Works. A difficult build, but boy, is she pretty when you are done! The ratlibnes and windows are designed to be printed on transparencies,, so the rigging is not quite so hard as it may look.

The Auld Grump

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
I have not built much of the FD EZ Dungeons, just enough to check it out. Not quite to my tastes since I prefer something that has a bit more stonework, but my problems are purely those of taste, not with the mechanics of the set itself. (The FD Fighter Bays on the other hand... Those I very much like indeed! :))

More stonework? Hmmm...is this more to your liking? :D

fdg0025a.jpg

fdg0025b.jpg

These are some prototypes from our soon to be released 'Castles and Keeps' set (also includes a bunch of goodies like chests, tables, fireplaces, chairs, banners, bookcases, etc.)

Last edited:

KaosDevice

Explorer
Well this confirms two things, one-I need to buy the Freeport book I've been putting off and two-I need to buy that Maiden kit so my players can become pirates!

YAR!

TheAuldGrump

First Post
FATDRAGONGAMES said:
And if you liked our Fighter Bay set, just wait for 'Hangar Deck'. A new, larger fighter and a shuttle plus deck goodies like loaders and such.

Oooh! :) I will admit to mixing the Fighter Bay set and the First Light set from World Works in happy abandon. Now if I could only remember where I saw the free Starfury cardstock models online for my B5 game... (If I ever get to run it... so many games so little free time.) *EDIT* Found it. :)

The stonework for Castles & Keeps is much more to my liking, yes.

As for Freeport and the Maiden, it is running the other way with me, I have the Maiden, and am tempted to get Freeport to go with it...

The Auld Grump

Last edited:

Remove ads