Carrion Crown AP (Savage Stampede) - OOC

Walking Dad

First Post
City was maybe a bit much. But I consider permanent homes, shops and an established graveyard (where we are now) as urban, too.

I also like the character and will stay :D
I hope he will become a bit more mechanically effective as he levels. Currently he isn't very good at range (no good weapon choice), melee (low strength) or spellcasting (no direct damage spells and summoning duration is to short). But at least the last point will become better with time (I hope).

And channeling makes the cleric much better vs undead or at healing.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
@Walking Dad

13 Str isn't low. At all. (I was expecting 8-10).
Your ranged weapons do either 1d4+1 (dagger, dart, sling) or 1d6+1 (club, shortspear) damage. You can huck a regular spear (1d8), AND use it as a two-handed weapon, but you likely won't be carrying many of those around. ;)

Melee-wise, your one-handers do 1d6+1 (club, scimitar [crit 18-20], sickle, shortspear). Not too shabby. Hide armor plus large wooden shield is +6 AC, and I assume you have a high Dex (17... +3 to AC) ... so you're not useless in melee with a 19 AC. Flanking will help you hit better.

... but your real power must come from your spells, then.

If you're looking for raw damage:

Magic Stone gives you three 1d6+1 MAGIC rocks to chuck, 2d6+2 vs UNDEAD.
Shillelagh turns a club or staff into a +1 MAGIC weapon that does 2d6+1 damage for 1 min/level.

Entangle is still the penultimate battlefield control spell. One of those is a near auto-win for a party armed with missile weapons.

... and there are some gems in the APG and the new UM guide, too, if HM will let you choose from those as well.

Short answer: there's nothing wrong with your PC at all. With decent Strength, melee and ranged combat is quite feasible but your real power comes from your spells.

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Zombies are tough enough with 2d12 HD, then you factor in their resistance to non-blunt weapons... and add in that they were a planned encounter and deliberately more powerful in this specific area...

You did fine, and will continue to do so. ;)

I think I'm the only person in my old gaming group who's ever played a Druid for more than one session... and we're talking 1e to today.

Last edited:

rangerjohn

Explorer
Continuing the discussion from the IC thread. The problem as I see it is we are putting forth our best efforts to no gain. Eventually, one of three things is going to happen. One we give up in disgust, two we get excummincated from the community, or three will we kill everyone in the village or some combination thereof.

So what is the point? Surely this is not how the adventure is designed. It is one thing for something to be hard, another for it to be hopeless. When you make one step forward to be pushed three steps back it is hopeless.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
One, we (the players) have no reason to give up in disgust. The characters (all of 'em, including yours) just plain aren't that nice, friendly, or personable. Even the Paladin is "burn 'em all, let Pelor or whoever sort 'em out."

Two, so we get excommunicated from the town. Big deal. Many PC's spend their whole pre-10th level lives camping and digging through ruins. Our job is to stop the lich... not for them, for US.

Three. The town decides to get all suicidal/homicidal. Hey... free houses.

I propose to those of us still playing. Re-introduce your character and explain why you're REALLY on this adventure.

Daggal Harjyr, Duergar Inquisitor. Bugger Professor owes me a watch... I got it, but now there's talk of a cult. Cults are bad for business, and it's a cult I've dealt with before. I owe them lots for driving me out of Cheliax and, as a result, my becoming a slave. The cult worships undead, and it is undead that I must destroy in order to weaken the cult's influence. And I may be tough, but even I can see that the task is too daunting for myself alone. And besides, more people, more riches, more glory... and perhaps I can get back to business in Cheliax with some relics in tow. Everyone wants to retire rich, right?

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Easiest way to stop losing trust is to complete the adventure. ;)

Besides that there will be other ways for the group to earn trust as they adventure in and around Ravengro. I think the -1 per day is so the group doesn't sit on it's thumbs till the 30 days are up.

HM

rangerjohn

Explorer
Must be a big number for completing the adventure. Because the steps along the way don't help. It would have to be a big number just to get back to zero. Then after all of that, what have you accomplished? Hero goods and riches are all well and good, but where do you spend them? You planning on leaving the country?

Orius

Legend
My character is only concerned about what only one inhabitant of Ravengro thinks of him. The others are nothing but unwashed, unlettered, ignorant, superstitious hicks as far as he's concerned and they're his inferiors. What does he care about trust? The sooner he gets out of this heap of huts, the better as far as he's concerned, he's only sticking around for Kendra's benefit and to find out what happened to the professor.

Walking Dad

First Post
Hey, I play a druid... the townsfolk doesn't loike me and force me into the wilderness... ok...
More seriously, the motivation for my dwarf to stay isn't very big. Mostly greed to get his money/stuff. But undead are unnatural so he will help to get them away as best as he can.

Remove ads