• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Caster Levels of a Multiclass Wizard

Anubus

First Post
Howdy, I'm wondering what the caster level would be a 10th level character. One that has 5 levels of wizard, and 5 levels in a prestige class that grants spells per day only on even levels. I've found no mention of this in the core books, but I'm inclined to say the caster level would be 10th, even though the spells per day would be that of a 7th level character. Since spells per day doesn't influence caster level as far as I can see, and caster level is the number of spell casting levels you have, I think it's 10. If anyone has a page number they can quote me then I'd be grateful, otherwise I'd like to open it up for debate.

dcollins

Explorer
I'm looking at the 3.0 DMG. The Loremaster, first example of a "+1 level of existing class" spellcasting benefit, describes that benefit as:

This essentially means that she adds the level of loremaster to the level of some other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

Thus, caster level is tied directly to the "+1 level" benefit. Therefore, in the example above, the character's caster level would be 7th. (= 5 + 2 "+1 level" benefits at PRC levels 2 and 4).

DiFier

First Post
dcollins said:
I'm looking at the 3.0 DMG. The Loremaster, first example of a "+1 level of existing class" spellcasting benefit, describes that benefit as:

Thus, caster level is tied directly to the "+1 level" benefit. Therefore, in the example above, the character's caster level would be 7th. (= 5 + 2 "+1 level" benefits at PRC levels 2 and 4).

yup.

I have a fighter1/wizard6/spellsword9 his caster level is 11; 6 from wizard and 5 from spellsword (he get a +1 to caster level @ every odd level) your spells per day are based on your caster level.

czak808

First Post
What about item creation feats & caster level? To pick up the Craft wand feat you have to be a 4th level caster.
Would a Wiz2/Clr2 cont for picking up that feat?

Sir Brennen

Legend
czak808 said:
What about item creation feats & caster level? To pick up the Craft wand feat you have to be a 4th level caster.
Would a Wiz2/Clr2 cont for picking up that feat?
Nope. This is different than a prestige class granting "+1 caster level" to an existing class. Your Wiz and Clr casting levels are both only 2nd level. They don't add up together like the prestige class.

Remove ads