• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Castle & Crusades - who has tried it and not stuck with it?

mhensley

First Post
I was a playtester for C&C and have run a few games of it. While it is really easy to run, I haven't had much success with it. My last try at a game went over like a turd in the punchbowl. My current group is just too attached to the level of detail in d20 to go back to something so much simpler. With a group that just wants a beer & pretzels rpg, I can see it being very good though.

Crothian said:
I'm one of them. It wasn't what I wanted. Were it left things open I wanted definition and where it gave me definition I mostly wanted things left open. Some things it change like each class getting its own XP table again I didn't want changed. The biggest plus people seem to saw it has is the how fast things can be prepped. I've never had an issue with how long it takes to prep regular D&D.
Pretty much the reasons I just didn't care for it that much.

It also felt, to me at least, that if you wanted to play a game that was a throwback to the older editions of D&D...well...just play them. But, again, that's just me. :)

When I moved away from 3E, I tried out a bunch of systems, and ended up really liking C&C and picking it as the one for my "main game." I'm still running C&C, and I still like it, but I've found myself house-ruling more and more things (e.g. saving throws, surprise, how I handle "perception checks") to be more like older editions. Also, I've found that I use the SIEGE engine less and less; most of the time, I simply don't find rolls (other than the basic class abilities) necessary. Lastly, I found that I quickly gravitated towards running B/X and AD&D adventures, and not much 3E stuff. All that points me towards an out-of-print D&D being a better fit, for me.

C&C is a good system; I see it as a via media of D&D. That's both a feature and a flaw. It makes it good for a "borrow/use stuff from all the editions" approach, but it also makes it something of a farrago, and it draws fire from both ends of the "D&D style" spectrum: big fans of 3E find it too "old school," and big fans of 1E find it "too 3E."

I wouldn't say I'm unhappy or dissatisfied with C&C; it's served me well, and it worked great as I transitioned away from 3E. And I'm still running it, after all. However, it probably wouldn't be my first choice if I were starting a new game, today.

If anyone is considering C&C, I'd encourage them to give it a try, especially if they're interested in using 3E material in their game. However, if they're interested mainly in "old school" material (e.g. running the GDQ series, etc), then I'd say go with OD&D, AD&D, or B/X.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I was one of the early playtesters and played it for 6 months or so after it was released. I preferred the 1e classes, so we used them. I preferred the 1e attacks per round so we used them. Then I found out I didn't care for the siege system, dex is almost a MUST prime. I had a wonderful ranger who kept falling down stairs, failing every single dex check, etc. So we went back to 1e saving throws and attribute checks. At that point we were playing 1e in everything but name, so we just went back to it. I still support C&C and use it's products in 1e games, but the system, while it tries, just wasn't what I wanted it to be.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Played it.
Ran it.
Ditched it.
Didn't really enjoy it except as a flash back to the old rules.
However, if I want old D&D, I have the Rules Cyclopedia that I really enjoy, and all the AD&D1e books - and I break them out on occasion still.
If I want a more modern system, I used a d20 edition.

seskis281

First Post
der_kluge said:
I played in two separate C&C campaigns with two different GMs. The second was much more palatable since that GM used Feats (paired down, but he had them). So, it was a little better.

There's lots I don't like about C&C. But, for ease, just go read my 10 page review of it.

http://www.enworld.org/reviews.php?do=review&reviewid=2402441

A little crashing into a thread as I am still a C&C devotee, so I apologize in advance, but having read the general comments and specifically the review above I just wanted to add my two cents...

It's not surprising to me that many have tried C&C and it wasn't for them. It is a hybrid, and as an earlier poster said it operates in a niche between lovers of older AD&D versions and devotees of newer editions. As such, der Kluge's review is accurate in that it is not universally liked. But, contrary to the review, neither was 3.0 or 3.5 D&D (granting the larger fan base that was well established before C&C every premiered). In the end it comes down to tastes in RPGing and there's plenty of systems to choose from. If you were to ask me why I stick with it, it's not just the system I like (which has its wonkiness, which I and many others shape and houserule to our own tastes), but the openness to ideas and changes to the rules that come from TLG and those who are involved with the game - as a system its closer to what I wanted (and houseruled down to when I ran 3.0 games), so even though this point or that point may not be what I like its still the system I find closest to my tastes.

Having watched many edition wars and threads discussing "what's the right one" or the "best one," I think the answer is whatever works best for you. If C&C isn't it, that's cool. I think what does worry me is that too often I hear C&C referred to as "a step back," or "adding nothing new to RPGing." Again, it's a matter of taste - for me C&C was a published system that mirrored most (not all) of my desires and game philosophy, is fairly well supported (especially considering the tiny size of the company producing it), and most refreshingly has active encouragement from the designers to bend it in whatever way we as gamers see fit. I am an "oldtimer" who didn't always like 1e in the old days, and who after 4 years of 3.0 found this to be the inbetween compromise I was looking for. Others don't see it that way - again, it's cool.

The basic disagreement, as I see it, is between those who simply don't mind mixing and borrowing from multiple sources and using houserules as a natural part of RPGing, and those who feel the system (any system) should be THE system as is. C&C appeals to this first group, and no doubt will turn off the second. I doubt this particular oppositional POV on what "RPGing" means can be resolved on message boards like this.

As I said I ran 3.0 for years (heavily houseruled - but even then frustrated me whenever players stopped to pull out rule books to show me why I was "wrong" to do something a certain way), stopped playing when I moved away. Subsequently some students where I teach invited me into what they described as a "rockin' D&D game," which everyone talked about as the best around town, and after 3 hours of one session I was confused. They were using 3.5, had laptops on tables, stacks of 8 or 9 books, and the session consisted of about 10 minutes of someone reading a story, a few minutes of description as we headed down a road, then the battle maps came out and the next two hours basically consisted of two major combats with 40+ minutes of rolling and moving the figurines on the mat. After these two battles everyone went up a level and the last 40 minutes was spent working on leveling characters. Afterwards everyone around was psyched and said "I think that was the best one yet!"

I relate this story not to disparage that group or anyone else who prefers this form of RPGing - but when I read der Kluge's statement that what D&D was in the early days was maybe "fine for its time," and "we've moved on," I can't really agree - sometimes "forward" doesn't mean better or worse, just different. And if the differences aren't to some of our tastes, then "backwards" can sometimes be "better."

It will be interesting to see how the generation of 3.x players react to 4e players on boards in the future. It'll be a little like the kids looking at parents saying "I can't believe you thought that music was cool." And here I refer to the Beatles and Stones. Am I so much a music grognard that I can't see that rock n roll has "moved past" them?

So the upshot of this is this: play what you like, don't play what you don't like. The spirit of RPGing and D&D in particular was always not in the rules, but in a group sharing imagination of a fantasy world around a table with a set of dice.

And if you're waiting for that "perfect" system which will have NO flaws, no issues... well, I wish you well on your long journey.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I'm not totally sure my own experience qualifies in this category, but I thought I'd chime in.

For the longest time now, I've been searching for the "perfect system," sort of my own personal "fountain of youth." I'm searching for the exact right game for me, and I can't find it anywhere.

While I have played outside of D&D some, I find that the basics of D&D is where my heart is. I played AD&D 2e for many years prior to 3e, and have both played and designed for 3e. So elements of both 2e and 3e (and 1e and True20 and...) appeal to me.

I've run a few games of C&C and generally like it, but I do have a few issues with it. I really dislike the variable XP tables. That's one thing d20 did better, IMO. I don't like that primes give you a virtual added +6 to most checks involving that ability score. For humans, that's a total of three - half your ability scores. For other races, it's two. And while I like how C&C works in theory, I too find myself looking for that certain level of detail.

However, I should note that I like the simplicity of it quite a bit. I like that it feels like D&D to me. Take away the encumbrance rules, and I like how the weapons and armor work. I also love how you can house rule the system to death, adding in any subsystem that you want.

So what I'm left with now is liking bits and pieces of various systems, but having no whole to work for me. At this time, my idea is to use C&C as a foundation, then add in a skill system similar to the Star Wars Saga Edition and feats ala True20. Keep it simple, yet allow for detail.

As for C&C, I love it, but I don't think I can play it exactly as written. However, by tweaking it and adding in the elements from other games that I love (which is one of its strengths!), I think I may find what I've been looking for.

Emryys

Explorer
Dragonhelm said:
At this time, my idea is to use C&C as a foundation, then add in a skill system similar to the Star Wars Saga Edition and feats ala True20....

Wow... exactly what I've been lookin at! :)
Was also thinking stunts from IH might work with the seige engine...

*I can see how others would find the system rather sparce, but I prefer to build it up as opposed to tearing a more robust system down...

Remove ads