Castle

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Well, I thought that was a strong first season. Nothing too predicatable beyond the idea of having a show's central conflict be the sexual tension in the primary relationship, and even that was well handled by the writers and well acted. Strong cast and the biggest possible question mark was probably Stana Katic who turned out to have remarkable depth. The schtick with the mother was a bit overplayed but they scaled that back in later episodes. I'm looking forward to another season. I hope it gets renewed.

Fast Learner

First Post
We enjoyed it quite a lot. Not absolute must-see, but we still managed to watch every episode and enjoyed them all, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for most TV.

wolff96

First Post
I'm really hoping it gets renewed. I watch it, my mother and father watch, even my grandparents enjoy it (plus, grandma thinks Nathan is hot...) I honestly can't even remember ANY other show where all of us agreed on it's watchability.

Castle and his daughter have one of the healthier relationships on TV, even if she is a bit overly parental (and would have to be, given her father).

I love the detectives and the relatively 'light' crime drama. Yeah, there's a high body-count, but I didn't need yet another "realistic, gritty" crime drama like CSI or Law & Order v.37.

We need to bring back his circle of writing poker-buddies, though. That was a great joke in the pilot. :)

Only two things I would do to make the show perfect for me:
1) Get rid of momma. She adds little and takes up screen time.
2) Add an over-arcing storyline. They played with one early on -- Castle getting the unsolved case files on Ms. Katic's mother -- but then it didn't go anywhere. If they get renewed (*cross fingers*), I would like to see him pursue it over the course of the season.

Blastin

First Post
Have been watching it since the begining. I'm really liking it snd the writing is great. As mentioned, the chemestry between the leads is great as well. Really hoping it gets renewed.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
My wife and I watch two tv shows, this and Numbers. I hope it gets renewed also. It's nice light, and entertaing, tv. I guess we try to watch My Boys also, but she's never home on Tuesdays except in the summer....

GSHamster

Adventurer
I actually think the mother is a good character, if used sparingly. She adds a little bit of friction to Castle's home life. If it was just Castle and his daughter, I think the home scenes would become annoyingly cloying. The mother is like salt. A pinch makes things better, but too much ruins the dish.

Felon

First Post
I watched one episode. It had a very strong opening with a woman brutally killed, her finger chopped off to get her wedding ring, and then crammed into a safe. I was like "whoas, this could be the gripping crime drame I've been missing out on..."

And then I got treated to a bunch of scenes of Castle acting like an eccentric jerk and his female partner having a stick up her bum. Kinda like Bones in reverse. I had no idea what Castle's relationship with the police was; he's enjoying himself, but nobody's enjoying him. So, tell him to go away already.

And there was never any payoff with the brutal bad guy. No additional murders, no raising the stakes, no avenging the victims with the bad guy really getting it in the end. They just find out where the scumbag's hiding and they arrest him. That's it. Lame. Made me want to go watch some Walker Texas Ranger reruns.

Maybe that episode just wasn't typical of the show, but it seemed they were concerned with Castle's quirkyness to the exclusion of all else, and I just didn't find him all that cute.

Last edited:

Remove ads