• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Castles & Crusades-Open for Wait List] Skylark's The Temple of Elemental Evil (T1-4)

Skylark

First Post
Aw heck! Assume scabbards and bow cases don't have EV. Lets not go nuts. We just need to know if you are encumbered (and how much) when you have that backpack, shield, and weapon (plus the rest of it), so that when you throw it down to the ground to lighten your load we know where you stand. If you are an EV of 1 or 2 off, don't lose sleep over it. An educated guess is fine by me.

Leveling Up:
Add together the required experience for all of your classes to advance a level. That is the experience you need to gain the next level. All of your classes will advance at once.
Example: A Wizard/Cleric would need 4,852 XP to advance to level 2.

Experience required to advance a class to Level 2:
Fighter - 2,001
Ranger - 2,251
Rogue - 1,251
Assassin - 1,751
Monk - 1,751
Cleric - 2,251
Wizard - 2,601
Illusionist - 2,601
Bard - 1,501

Hit Dice: Use the better hit die if you are multi-classed. A Wizard/Cleric would use the better d8 cleric hit die. At first level, use the maximum hit points for your hit die. At each level thereafter you will use the following hit points for each hit die:
d4 - 3 hit points
d6 - 4 hit points
d8 - 5 hit points
d10 - 6 hit points
d12 - 8 hit points

Gaining Experience Points:

1. For active participation in game sessions: 20 to 50xps per active week.
2. Normal XPs for each creature (monster) slain divided amongst participants engaged in the combat.
3. One-half normal xps for each adversarial creature (monster) duped, captured, or driven away.
4. For all fighter-type characters (fighters, barbarians, knights, rangers) meaningful use of a weapon against an adversary: 10xps per character level of the fighter per battle.
5. For spell-caster characters successful and meaningful use of a spell: 100xps per spell level, 25 per 0 level casting.
6. For ranger characters successful and meaningful use of a listed function: 20xps per character level of the ability used.
7. For thief (or assassin) characters successful and meaningful use of a listed function: 20 xps per character level of the thief.
8. For monetary value of treasure gained; thieves get 2 xp for every 1gp found and all others get 1xp for every 1gp found. This is per individual treasure award.
9. Magic Items - like items, magic items have an XP value, awarded to the character to possesses and uses the item for a time. (one adventure)
10. Story - XP is awarded for completing adventures, solving problems.
11. Roleplaying - Good roleplaying is not just its own reward!

Last edited:

Skylark

First Post
I'll give guidelines for posting your completed characters later today. I also have an item of interest I will post on at that time as well, which will be of interest for the Wizard/Cleric and Assassin/Illusionist/Monk, the two spellcasters.

Rhuvein, where are you?

I hope to start tomorrow, then.

gmredux

First Post
Coramonde - fan of Jack Vance? :D I am, myself!

Skylark - those encumberance rules sound good. I don't think they were inthe quick sheet, but they are helpful, and make everything more sensible, thank you!

:)

Coramonde

First Post
That means a lot of XP to earn! Oh, well.

gmredux said:
Coramonde - fan of Jack Vance? :D I am, myself!
I've read some of the stuff. IIRC Lian is from the Dying Earth series, which is what GG used when coming up with the DND magic rules. I always liked that character, although a minor character, he always stuck in my mind. If you watch the TV series 'Lost', Josh Hollaway's character Sawyer reminds me of Lian. Most of the JV stuff is OOP, and is hard to get unless you pay $$ or go on ebay and get lucky. I don't have any books of his; it all came from the local library. They got rid of those books to make way for some youth romance crap. Stupid library! I have memories of some other JV material that is Sci-Fi, but can't remember the name of the books. Actually, my fave classic authors are Elizabeth Moon & Margaret Weiss.

those encumberance rules sound good. I don't think they were inthe quick sheet, but they are helpful, and make everything more sensible, thank you!
:)

I have the PH, and the stuff posted is straight out of the rules book, which is why you might have thought the encumberance rules were wacky. You can carry and move more than 1x your encumberance rating.

I changed the name of my character anyway, and have a few things to decide, but I should be ready to go tomorrow regardless.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Darn Quickfingers the Elven Rogue
AC: 14
HP:7
AL: CG
Hair: Black
Eyes: Blue
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 124 lbs

Str: 14 (+1, Prime)
Int: 10
Wis: 7 (-1)
Dex: 17 (+2, Prime)
Con: 13 (+1)
Cha: 7 (-1)

Special Abilities: +4 to listen checks, +2 to twighlight vision, +4 to move silently, +10 to saves vs charm or sleep type spells, +2 to wisdom check to spot hidden doors, +1 to hit with bow, +2 to find traps, Back Attack, Cant, Climb, Decipher Script, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Open Locks, Pick Pockets, Traps

Weapons:
Short Bow 2 lbs
Arrows (40) 4 lbs total if in quivers
2 Quivers
Dagger - Weighs nothing since in scabbard
Scabbard

Armor:
Leather 14 lbs worn

Clothes:
Trousers- No weight, worn
Tunic- Same
Vest- Same
Cloak- 2 lbs when worn
Soft Boots- 1 lb worn
Belt- No weight, worn

Equipment:
Backpack 1lb worn
Hemp Rope 9lbs in backpack
Grappling Hook 3 lbs in backpack
Flint and Steel- No weight in backpack
Hooded Lamp- 2lbs, held
Flask of Oil (3)- No weight if carried in container
Whetstone- Same
Large Sack- 1 lb
Small Belt Pouch 0.5 lbs
Rations (4)- No weight if in container
Waterskin- No weight if in container
Rogue's Tools- No weight if in container

Gold: 23gp, 8sp
Encumberance: 39.5 lbs, Moderate

Darn Quickfingers wasn't looking for trouble, it just always knew where to find him. Well, that's what the elf liked to say, anyway. The truth was that Darn never knew when to keep his mouth shut, and a sharp tongue like his was the cause of his leaving the elven lands and every human city that he had the luck to journey to along his aimless travels. Darn is an attractive elf, although his snide comments and tendency to spend more than he possesses has caused him to make enemies much quicker than friends.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
I've been following this thread, but as the game gears up, this is going to become more and more difficult. Would you please email me (kfargo@lumc.edu) if you need a replacement? Thanks, and have fun!

Vig

Remove ads