(Casual D&D V) The Tourne

Guilt Puppy

First Post
"Certainly, sir," the young lady replies. "Weir!" she calls out to a boy around the corner - a short young lad with a wild mop of blonde hair, who struts briskly to attention. "Come show our fine guest the wayhouses. He can have his pick. Find one with plenty of room."

The boy leads Oliver out across the grasslands, into a sparsely wooded area. The first he offers is a large place indeed, at least the size of the mayor's home in that town near Eivanrach - the one that burned. There is a place for horses around the back.

"Six beds in this one," he states, "all fit for men of rank. Would you like to see inside?"

doghead

thotd
Xiao watches Oliver set off. The stranger's strange features are set with a sullen, unhappy look.

"Xiao will go with Oliver," he announces suddenly. Standing he gathers up his few possessions and, pausing only long enough to see if anyone else will follow, heads off in the direction Oliver so recently himself took. By now Oliver has something of a head start. This, to Xiao's way of thinking is just fine. The monk plans to hang back, keep out of Oliver's way and just ensure that help is at hand should Oliver need it. Not hiding as such, just remaining at a discrete distance.

doghead

thotd
Xiao flows easily through the city in the wake of Oliver. The stranger from a strange land has one eye on his companion, the other on the city around him. Occasionally it leaves him feeling a little cross-eyed. But otherwise the trip through the city is very pleasant. Along the way Xiao spots a shop that seems to sell tea, and the monk makes a mental note of its location. Once or twice he loses sight of Oliver. But the old man on the horse is not hard to reacquire.

Eventually Oliver arrives at his destination. Xiao arrives just in time to see his friend pass through and the iron gates swing closed behind him. Pausing for a moment, Xiao comes to a decision. I will catch two birds on one rock. Turning he heads back into the city and returns to the tea shop. With the few remaining coins Xiao purchases something that at least in smell, resembles the tea he remembers. Then tucking his purchase away in his robe, Xiao returns to the iron gates.

"Good afternoon," he announces with a broad smile and a bow. "I am Xiao Yu. I bring Mister Oliver his tea. This is Farlund is it not? Mister Oliver has arrived earlier I think. He is venerable gentleman on a horse. May you show him to me?"

Sparky

(Hokey smokes! It's been since December since we posted!?)

Oliver nods. When the boy moves on ahead to open the door, the old rogue looks around appraisingly at the area surrounding the cottage, the lines of sight... vectors of approach... Not great, but not too bad. He'd been in tighter spots.

He steps in, eyes adjusting to the gloom. He half-listens to the boy as lad shows off the cottage's amenities. He murmurs appreciatively here and there. His eyes are on the furniture, layout, ingress and egress, light sources and how they might silhouette a resident in twilight or dark. At some he registers an expectant note in the boy's talking.

"Eh? What's that? Uh, yes... no, no need for any butling. I would like a shave if you've someone." He doesn't need to check the stubble or the state of his garb, "And I'd like my clothes and small clothes seen to if possible. Thank you, lad. Weir, was it?"

He fishes a coin from his pocket and flips it in a flickering arc. The boy opens his hand to catch it and the old rogue snatches it from the air a hand's breadth from the boys open palm.

"And I'd like to know that I have visitors before I have visitors. Follow, lad?"

The coin he puts back in the boy's palm is a different color. A weightier color.

Last edited:

Guilt Puppy

First Post
"And I'd like to know that I have visitors before I have visitors. Follow, lad?"

The coin he puts back in the boy's palm is a different color. A weightier color.

Weir smiles puckishly. "Yes, good sir! Of course, good sir!"

The young lad leaves the cottage - only to return a few minutes later.

"Sir Oliver? A man is here to see you - a Mister Xiao Yu. A man from the Far Continent..."

---

After the two traveling companions reunite, the evening passes peacefully. Oliver gets his shave, and both men get a set of proper attire - rigid dark suits of the Tournean fashion - to wear as their traveling clothes are tended to.

In the meantime, the sun begins to set. And as the evening light begins to lend its dignity to the edifices of Perlech, seen distantly from the Farlund's expansive meadows, one can see even more distantly the dark, hazy shape of the Tower Riege, presiding in silence over this stretch of the Tourne...

(Dang! I just realized that Cas turned six a couple of months ago - and still going, albeit barely. About a year in I estimated how long it would take to complete the storyline, and I guessed six years - I couldn't imagine it would last so long. Wow!)

doghead

thotd
Xiao tentively picks up the pants by the end of the legs and holds them at a distance between thumb and finger. The stranger from a strange place cocks his head and considers the garment from another angle.

"Xiao can not wear this. It is physical impossiblity."

He shakes his head and gently lays the pants back down where he found them.

"Beside, modesty forbid it," he mutters darkly. Getting Xiao into the suit is going to be like getting a herd of ducks into a box - it will take much effort and patience.

Turning to his companion he says more brightly, "So, what is plan?"

G

Guest 11456

Cylantro : Female Human

Meanwhile back at Koehl's family estate, Cylantro is snuggling down in her bed with a tired Ginger curled up at her feet. Cylantro wonders what tomorrow will bring.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
The night passes uneventfully, if not easily, for both halves of the party.

Come morning at the Farlund, Oliver & Xiao awaken to a knock on the door, and young Weir's voice calling out - "A letter for you, sirs!" He slides it beneath; it is an invitation to dine with Sir Vaustus this evening, at the Farlund's dining hall.

Meanwhile, at the family estate, Koehl offers to send an attendant to check in at the Farlund, suggesting that it might be a less conspicuous way to communicate.

G

Guest 11456

Cylantro : Female Human

Cylantro nods, "Thank you, Koehl, that would be helpful."

doghead

thotd
Xiao frowns looks over the spider-tracks that the people in this part of the world call writing.

"We tell the others, yes?" Xiao asks Oliver once the meaning of the letter has been passed on. "Xiao is hoping that dinner Sir Vaustus is good news.

"Xiao has find a good tea shop yesterday. We can stop in on way home."

Remove ads