• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Catastrophe!

The sound of burrowing ends with a shower of rocks that pelts the adventurers, stunning a few of them into inaction. All around them, the players can see more of the hideous little vermin that they dealt with only minutes before on the surface, but sitting back a few paces looms a new threat. Three more kruthik appear in the back of the creature's formation, but these ones' carapaces are thicker and harder.

The chamber you are in is nearly pitch black, but for the sunrod that Ignatz threw into the leftmost path which spreads its light against the northern walls, but fails to deign you with its presence on the southern side of the chamber.

OOC: I just need actions from Ignatz and Corragan at this time. Also...sorry this is coming so late...I had this whole thing written up, then my browser crashed and I had to start over... sheesh!

[sblock=Status]

OOC:
Vision Note: Only the squares to the left of column 10 are in bright light. Everything else on the map is in Dim Light. If you do not have Low-light or Dark vision, creatures you attack have partial concealment.

Map Note: the following directions correspond to the following poles on the map:

Top of screen/Bottom of screen: East/West
Left of screen/Right of screen: North/South

[sblock=Initiative and turn order]

Kruthik: Rolled a 16 for initiative.

Players:
Ignatz rolled 23. Status: Normal
Sha'Kar rolled 8. Status: Normal
TCO rolled 19. Status: SURPRISED
Dina rolled 16 (goes after K's due to init mod). Status: SURPRISED
Corragan rolled 22. Status Normal.

Player rolls can be seen HERE. (Warlord initiative bonuses are included)

Turn Order:

1)
Surprise Round:
- Ignatz and Corragan
- Kruthik

2)
First Round:
- Ignatz, TCO, and Corragan
- Kruthik
- All Players

3)
Subsequent rounds:
- Kruthik
- All Players
- Rinse and repeat until end of battle.

[/sblock]

[sblock=Creature Stats]

KW (Minion) - AC: 16, F: 12, R: 15, W: 12; MBA: Melee 1 - +5 vs AC; 4 dmg.

Normal KW - 43 Max HP, AC: 15, F: 13, R: 14, W: 11; MBA: Melee 1 - +5 vs AC; 1d8+2 dmg.

Soldiers - ?? Max HP, AC: ??, F: ??, R: ??, W: ??; MBA: +8 vs AC; 1d10+3 dmg.

[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Attachments

• Catastrophe - B2 - Surprise Round.jpg
    Catastrophe - B2 - Surprise Round.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

VanderLegion

First Post
OOC: [MENTION=6684473]CrimsonFlameWielder[/MENTION]: Shouldn't I still get an action in the surprise round after the kruthik? I had a lower initiative, but wasn't surprised.

WEContact

First Post
OOC: Sorry about the light situation, guys.

The earth around them explodes with more bugs, and Ignatz explodes into motion without a moment's hesitation. He weaves through the fray, casually ripping one of the kruthiks in half on his way toward his goal, which is naturally toughest looking thing he can see. Adrenaline courses through his veins, and he barely notices the scratch he receives mid-charge. Ignatz collides with the enormous insect with a gleeful roar, and his gouge carves chitin like butter.

[sblock=Actions]Standard: Pressing Strike (Shift->H20) HITS K5 AC 21, killing it
*Ignatz gains 2 thp
Free Action: Charge->G22,
*K4 OA MISS
*K7 OA HIT for 5 damage
Howling Strike HIT KS3 AC26 for 34 damage (32+2, Carnage Weapon)[/sblock]

[sblock=Statblock]Ignatz Jägerkin - Male Half-Orc Barbarian 3
Initiative: 18, Passive perception: 18, Passive Insight: 12
AC:19 Fort:17 Ref:15 Will:12
HP: 39/42 Bloodied: 21 Surge value: 10 Surges/day: 8/10
Speed: 6 squares, AP: 1, Second Wind: unused, Temporary HP: 0
Melee Basic Attack: +8 vs AC, 2d6+8 brutal 1 (Bite: +9 vs AC, 1d8+6)
Powers: Body of the Wolf, Howling Strike, Pressing Strike, Furious Assault, Swift Charge, Desperate Fury, Brutal Slam, Thunder Hooves Rage[/sblock]

Last edited:

Medina

Explorer
Corragan only slightly slower than Ignatz as the Kruthik emerge. As the barbarian rushes past him, he steps forward, sending a barrage of thorns to strike at the creatures.
[sblock=Actions]
Move: Shift to J19
Standard: Thorn Spray K19 to O23. Striking Worker 1, 2, 3, 8, Soldier 1 and 2 (Combat advantage vs Soldiers 1 and 2 with Cunning Stalker)
[/sblock]

OOC: Hit's on Workers 2, 3 an 8, and probably Soldier 1. They take -4 to all defenses until the end of Corragan's next turn

Last edited:

OOC: [MENTION=6682244]Medina[/MENTION] : This is just a surprise round. Only one action is allowed during a surprise round. As such, I need to know if you are shifting, thorn spraying, or doing something entirely different. Please let me know.

[MENTION=75065]jbear[/MENTION] : I took a look at the rules for surprise rounds (just to be sure) and unfortunately, you cannot use your blade's power if you are surprised. The surprised status means that you cannot take ANY actions until your initiative has come up during the first round, and you grant combat advantage.

Medina

Explorer
OOC: @Medina : This is just a surprise round. Only one action is allowed during a surprise round. As such, I need to know if you are shifting, thorn spraying, or doing something entirely different. Please let me know.

@jbear : I took a look at the rules for surprise rounds (just to be sure) and unfortunately, you cannot use your blade's power if you are surprised. The surprised status means that you cannot take ANY actions until your initiative has come up during the first round, and you grant combat advantage.

OOC: Ah, OK, didn't think of that for some reason. I'll rethink the turn and repost tonight

Medina

Explorer
OOC: Turns out I'm quite short of actions that don't provoke in a suprise round when I start adjacent to the enemy...

Corragan is ready for the Kruthik as they appear, his long spear braced. As they emerges from the walls and floor, he calls upon the primal forces to deter them, not noticing the Kruthik next to him.

[sblock=Actions]
Grasping Tide centered on L20, striking workers 1, 8 and 3 and provoking from the Worker to his left (no idea of the number, it's hidden by Worker 5's name tag)

KW Opportunity Attack: MISS
Grasping Tide vs. Worker 1: HIT - Dead
Grasping Tide vs. Worker 3: HIT - Dead
Grasping Tide vs. Worker 8: Hit - 10 damage. If it moves from the squares surrounding L20, Corragan makes an attack, +7 vs Reflex; knocks prone.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Statblock]Corragan - Male Elf Druid 3
Initiative: +4, Passive perception: 23, Passive Insight: 16
AC:17 Fort:12 Ref:15 Will:17
HP: 38/38 Bloodied: 19 Surge value: 9 Surges/day: 6/7
Speed: 8 squares, AP: 1, Second Wind: unused, Temporary HP: 0
Melee Basic Attack: +3 vs AC, 1d10+2 (Savage Rend in Beast Form; Surpise Strike for Savage Rend for opportunity attacks in Elven form)
Powers: Wild Shape, Savage Rend, Fire Hawk, Grasping Tide
Thorn Spray, Sudden Bite, Predator's Flurry, Elven Accuracy, Surprise Strike
Summon Giant Toad
Alfsair Spear Daily[/sblock]

Last edited:

After Ignatz and Corragan explode into action, the remaining Kruthik workers flail about with their claws hitting mostly air. From the outskirts of the battle, all three of the more hardy creatures swing their tail-like appendages toward the adventurers, loosing poisoned barbs in all directions. Like the genasi of the type that he is, Sha'kar is a void where nothing seems to go near him, perfectly safe within the confines of the center of the battle. All of those around him are injured and spiked with poison save him.

[sblock=Actions]

KW

2 - Standard: Attacks Dina with Claw hitting AC 16.

4 - Standard: Attacks Corragan with Claw hitting AC 17 for 4.

6 - Standard: Attacks Dina with Claw hitting AC 13.

7 - Standard: Attacks Sha'kar with Claw hitting AC 15.

8 - Standard: Attacks Sha'kar with Claw hitting AC 8.

Soldiers:

1 - Standard: Attacks Corragan and Sha'kar with Toxic Spikes hitting AC 17 vs Corragan and hitting AC 8 vs Sha'kar. Corragan takes 11 damage, and is Slowed and takes Ongoing 5 Poison damage (save ends both).

2 - Standard: Attacks Sha'kar and TCO with Toxic Spikes hitting AC 10 vs Sha'kar and AC 24 vs TCO. TCO takes 6 damage (blade property taken into account), and is Slowed and takes Ongoing 5 Poison damage (save ends both).

3 - Move: Shifts to F24. Standard: Attacks Ignatz and Dina with Toxic Spikes hitting AC 26 vs Ignatz and hitting AC 22 vs Dina. Both take 7 damage, and are Slowed and take Ongoing 5 Poison damage (save ends both).

[/sblock]

[sblock=Status]

OOC:
Vision Note: Only the squares to the left of column 10 are in bright light. Everything else on the map is in Dim Light. If you do not have Low-light or Dark vision, creatures you attack have partial concealment.

Map Note: the following directions correspond to the following poles on the map:

Top of screen/Bottom of screen: East/West
Left of screen/Right of screen: North/South

[sblock=Initiative and turn order]

Kruthik: Rolled a 16 for initiative.

Players:
Ignatz rolled 23. Status: Normal
Sha'Kar rolled 8. Status: Normal
TCO rolled 19. Status: SURPRISED
Dina rolled 16 (goes after K's due to init mod). Status: SURPRISED
Corragan rolled 22. Status Normal.

Player rolls can be seen HERE. (Warlord initiative bonuses are included)

Turn Order:

1)
Surprise Round:
- Ignatz and Corragan
- Kruthik

2)
First Round:
- Ignatz, TCO, and Corragan
- Kruthik
- All Players

3)
Subsequent rounds:
- Kruthik
- All Players
- Rinse and repeat until end of battle.

[/sblock]

[sblock=Player Stats]
Ignatz: 12/42 STATUS: Slowed & Ongoing 5 Poison (save ends both)

Corragan: 19/38 STATUS: Slowed & Ongoing 5 Poison (save ends both), Bloodied.

Sha'kar: Undamaged STATUS: Normal

TCO: 6/39 STATUS: Slowed & Ongoing 5 Poison (save ends both).

Dina: 7/34 STATUS: Slowed & Ongoing 5 Poison (save ends both)

[/sblock]

[sblock=Creature Stats]

KW (Minion) - AC: 16, F: 12, R: 15, W: 12;
MBA: Melee 1 - +5 vs AC; 4 dmg.

1 - Dead
3 - Dead
4 - Undamaged; Status: Normal
5 - Dead
6 - Undamaged; Status: Normal

Normal KW - 43 Max HP, AC: 15, F: 13, R: 14, W: 11;
MBA: Melee 1 - +5 vs AC; 1d8+2 dmg.

2 - Undamaged; Status: Normal
7 - Undamaged; Status: Normal
8 - Undamaged; Status: Normal

Soldiers - 67 Max HP, AC: 17, F: ??, R: ??, W: ??;
MBA: +8 vs AC; 1d10+3 dmg.
Powers:
Toxic Spikes (Recharge on 5/6): Ranged 5 (two creatures); +7 vs AC; Hit: 1d8+4 damage. The target is slowed and has ongoing 5 poison (save ends both).

1 - Undamaged; Status: Normal
2 - Undamaged; Status: Normal
3 - 34/67; Status: Bloodied

[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Attachments

• Catastrophe - B2 - Surprise Round (part 2).jpg
    Catastrophe - B2 - Surprise Round (part 2).jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 68

Remove ads