• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Catfolk: +1 LA just doesn't seem right..

Three_Haligonians

First Post
So,

One of my players is playing a catfolk. Over the course of the campaign, he has taken the character from level 3 to level 11 and, hindsight being 20/20 and all, the level adjustment he has taken for his race doesn't seem on par with the "missing" level it has required.

Being the generous DM that I am, I've been looking at the Catfolk racial stats and wondering what I could do to make it a little more even. I see two choices:

1. Increase the traits and features of the class to make it worth a +1 LA
2. Decrease the traits and features of the class to make it worth a +0 LA and then let the player take another class level.

In both cases, I think I would like to remove the +1 natural armour bonus that Catfolk get (I dunno, tough, thick hide is just not what I think of when thinking of cats). I'm also leaning towards increasing their low-light vision to superior low-light vision (so they can see 3x as far in low-light conditions instead of 2x).

So here I am, asking the collective ENWorld brain for advice on what you would do to accomplish either of these tasks. What would you add? take away? or just change?

There is of course a third choice: That I am wrong and a +1 LA suites the race just fine. If this is your position, by all means - share your reasons here too, I'm open to everything

J from Three Haligonians

Doug McCrae

Legend
Races of the Wild?

+4 dex, +2 cha
40 feet movement
Low-light vision
+2 listen, +2 move silently
+1 natural armor

Looks worth a +1 LA to me, mostly for the stats. A total of +6 to stats can't be +0.

Three_Haligonians

First Post
Quartz said:
Which of the plethora of catfolk races are you using? Was the +1 LA about right - or good - at low levels?

Ha Ha!

Sorry.. I totally forgot to put that in.. even after I had thought of it when I started to post.

I'm talking about the Races of the Wild version. Even at low levels, it was a little rough for the player - mostly due to a lack of hit points.

J from Three Haligonians

Last edited:

Technik4

First Post
I'd be in favor of giving him more goodies to improve, rather than suddenly dissolving the LA. At lower level +6 bonus stat points is huge, and the rest of the race is pretty solid (if a little bland).

Maybe instead of removing the Cat's natural armor, change it to a Dodge bonus and let it improve (+1/5 levels)? That seems more cat-like to me.

But +10 movement, +4 dex, +2 cha, lowlight and some skill bonuses are hardly LA +0 territory.

Three_Haligonians

First Post
Well that is settled then,

It's easier to make the race worth the +1 LA than it is to bring it to +0. The question is of course, how?

Turns out I am not the only one to think of this. Googling the subject brought me two past threads that talk about re-vamping the catfolk race. Suggestions there included:

- A "cat-fall" ability that reduces the damage taken from falling.
- Some manner of sprinting ability - such as the Run feat, or the ability to move 10x its normal speed during a charge 1/day.
- The Pounce or rake ability [though I find these too powerful myself]

So far, I have decided upon the following:

+4 Dex, +2 Cha
Base speed 40ft
+4 to Hide, Move Silently
+2 to Listen, Spot
Improved Low-light vision (3x a human's sight in low illumination)

All I really need I think, is one more bonus or ability to further the "cat theme" and I'll be done.

Any more thoughts on what it could be?

P.S. The option to "buy it off" looks very interesting, I'll be sure to bring it to the player's attention.

J from Three Haligonians

Last edited:

Nyaricus

First Post
Three_Haligonians said:
All I really need I think, is one more bonus or ability to further the "cat theme" and I'll be done.

Any more thoughts on what it could be?
Cats are good jumpers from a stop - they just curl up and *plop*, they are about 4x their height off the ground on a bookcase or something.

You could not require them to have running starts on high and long jumps, and the DCs for them are not doubled - see more here if you don't get what I mean.

Also, Superior Low Light Vision is a great cinch for the race.

With those two abilities, I think you probably have cinched the race at +1 LA.

cheers,
--N

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Nyaricus said:
Cats are good jumpers from a stop - they just curl up and *plop*, they are about 4x their height off the ground on a bookcase or something.

You could not require them to have running starts on high and long jumps, and the DCs for them are not doubled - see more here if you don't get what I mean.

There's actually a feat in PHB2 that does this. Leap of the Heavens. Only requires 4 ranks in jump, so it can be taken at first level. You don't double the DC's for standing jumps, and get +5 on running jumps. Just give it to them as a racial bonus feat.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=4

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads