Caves of Chaos (Group 1, PF) - IC

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
[sblock=Belthasar]

Crunch info: Alignment LG

Fluff info: Come from distant stars to protect unprepared worlds from cosmic horrors, flumphs are jellyfish-like creatures that float in the air and hunt with acidic spikes growing from their undersides. Gentle at heart, flumphs understand that their appearance often terrifies viewers, and thus conceal themselves and observe neighboring settlements from afar, only revealing themselves when absolutely necessary. They also know full well the limitations of their fragile forms, and rather than directly opposing the horrors they seek to defeat, they prefer to recruit and advise heroes to tackle these dangerous tasks instead.[/sblock]

rangerjohn

Explorer
"Fear not my friends, this creature means harm to no one. Though I fear he brings sad news for our world." Balthasar says as he bows to the creature before them. "I have heard of his people in my studies," he further explains.

mfloyd3

Explorer
Kara eyes the creature. Though she has never seen
one before, there is something familiar about it.
It reminded her of one of the specimens she had seen
in her mother's chambers at the university.

[sblock=Flashback]
The walls were lined with glass jars full of bizarre
creatures. There were all manner of things, from pale-
skinned reptilian creatures to blue-furred cat-things.
But somehow it was always their eyes that had struck
Kara. They would drift lazily in their jars, seemingly
lost, then there would be an instant when all eyes were
pointed in the same direction, focused on some byplay.
Others had told her they found the effect chilling. Kara
was not sure what chilling meant.

"I'm going," she repeated, putting the crossbow across her
back. Her mother had always insisted she keep her weapons
in the locked cabinet with her tools. She had always regarded
them as such. "The goblins have the staff, and I am going
to get it back."

"But the university is your home," her mother looked at her
over her spectacles, the picture of the concerned professor.
"The university is your home."

"Is it?" asked Kara. "We both know I don't have the mind for
wizardry. So tell me, when you say I belong here, do you mean I
belong there?" She gestured to the shelves on the wall.

Mena Proudfoot seemed taken aback, for once at a loss for words.
"Kara, I didn't...I don't..."

Her daughter stepped forward and put her hand on her shoulder.
"Mother," she said gently. "I know you wanted to study...my nature.
And I know you never loved me any less for that. But you're looking
for a reason behind my gifts. I need a purpose for them. And I need
to prove to myself that they are gifts."

Wordlessly, the pair embraced. Kara made her way out. Behind her,
the denizens of the wall lost interest.
[/sblock]

At Balthasar's words, Kara withdrew her hand from the crossbow she had
been preparing to draw. But she watched the thing uncomfortably all the
same.

Disposable Hero

First Post
Quentin looks to Balthesar than back to the flumph as he relaxes his stance. "What is it that you seek? Have you seen the humanoids that we pursue currently?"

Rhydius

First Post
Cid visibly relaxes at Balthasar's comment, though his bow remains drawn, and his half-lidded gaze darts about, the stillness of the woods keeping him unsettled.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"My name is Xanzathorithial," the creature says moving his massive head as if bowing to the group. "I have been here many years watching this place. Waiting for this day. Waiting for you. All of you."

He notices the bewildered looks and sees the questions still in your faces.

"Long ago the Wizened captured a being of immense power. Unable to kill this near god-like being they imprisoned him instead."
Gazing up to look into the clear blue sky he nearly whispers. "R'lyeh, the corpse city of Sharn."

"This creature seeks nothing but destruction of all life, everywhere. And though imprisoned his dreams resonate still in the minds of his spawn, and from there touch upon the dreams of many slumbering races on countless worlds."

"And your world has been touched by him. Even now he sends portents and visions to those who would worship him. First to create the Staff of Destiny, and then to show them how to use it as a beacon to guide one of his star-spawn creatures through the Dark Tapestry."

Xan almost vibrates as if shaking of a horrible thought. He turns back to all of you. "No time, no time for this. I'm sorry you must go. You are the ones who can stop them. Find the staff, destroy it, before it is to late."

As he speaks he turns to move the verge that had hidden the path. "I am sorry. I can not help you further. You alone must brave the Caves of Chaos!"

[sblock=What happens if you fail]
starspawn.png
[/sblock]​

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Ahead of you the forest starts to thin in places, and huge rocks take up more and more space. A huge cavern rises over a hundred feet into the air in a horseshoe like pattern.

The path leads right down the center of the ravine in the middle and trees climb up the hills on both sides, blocking some of you view. And scattered throughout are dark opens of all shapes and sizes, and at all levels of the hill.

[sblock=Caves(outside)]
Caves-of-Chaos-player-map-1024x706.jpg
[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]
Pick any spot you wish. And let the fun begin.[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
OOC: I would like to take the south cave. It is relatively high up, so we will not have to climb to much up, if we have to flee. BTW, from which direction do we enter the map?

mfloyd3

Explorer
Kara watches the creature go. When it is gone, she tells the others, "I think we can trust the flumph. It has an honest face."

She looks down at the path. "Well, let's get started."

OOC: Sure, southernmost cave is fine.

Remove ads