D&D 5E CB's Stonefast IC -- COMPLETE

Roscoe strode forward, cursing the darkness. He tripped on Kobold3, and struck out in anger, killing the sleeping reptilian.

The crone reappeared. She stepped out from behind the corner and swiftly moved to S32, then cast at Colden. A flash of orange light burst from the Crone's fingers and streaked like a comet straight for Colden, but missed. The Crone was nimble for her age; she darted to the east, taking cover beyond the corner.

OOC: In case it comes up, Dexterity saving throw DC 10 to avoid slipping and falling on the perpetual 15' cube of icy floor centered on the dragon. Guran is up, [MENTION=61026]tuxgeo[/MENTION]!

2sa10mw.jpg

https://goo.gl/photos/oz87qZjiG19dzrX59

Initiative:
Dark-skinned she-elf 21
Fulgrim 20
Male drow 16
Colden 14
Winged Kobold1 12
Roscoe 11
Crone 10
Guran 10
Spec 10
Kobolds 5
Dragon 2

[sblock=DM]
Crone __/__
Dark-skinned she-elf __/__
Male drow -13/__
Dragon __/__
Kobold1 dead
Kobold2 dead
Kobold3 dead
Kobold4 dead
Winged Kobold1 7/7 -- sleeping
Winged Kobold2 dead
Kobold5 5/5
Kobold6 5/5

She-elf Concentration check 11 for darkness. Crone Concentration check 12 for silence[/sblock]

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Gathering his wits after his initial astonishment at his loss of visibility around him, Guran latched upon a new plan: play it just like the crazy "fog game" he had learned as a child.

Dwarves, of course, can see in the dark; but even they found that there were some nights when they would still bump into unseen things as they walked around in the darkness -- and those nights were the ones in which a thick fog lay on the ground. Their usual courses of action were either to stay indoors and not try, or else to walk bravely forth through the fog with one hand sweeping left and right ahead of them, touching walls on the outside of each sweep in order to maintain a steady course, and always slowing to a stop if they touched anything in front of them.

Guran decided to use the "fog game" to advance up to find Colden, whom he had last seen a couple of squares ahead of him. If Colden had moved, Guran would not find him there; but if he hadn't, then Guran could encourage Colden to advance by shoving on his back. While not necessarily a good plan, it was better than no plan at all. Guran carried his short sword in his right hand, so he made the sweeping motions of "the fog game" with his left, advancing diagonally out of the mouth of the hallway into the corridor ahead, reaching for Colden's back as he did so. He took another couple of steps, but did not find Colden where he imagined the fighter had been.

Thinking Colden must have advanced already, Guran kept going. When he got to a point that he imagined was just past where Colden had been, the floor suddenly became slippery, and the wall on Guran's left was no longer there. Thinking he must have passed through a doorway, Guran edged farther left and eased across the icy floor another 5 feet, this time diagonally to his left [northwest], sweeping his left hand in the air to brush the door that was ajar there and back to reach toward his right. He could not hear the incessant "snarfling" of kobolds because the conscious ones were still hidden from him by both darkness and silence.

When Guran walked past the edge of the door and lost contact with it, he suddenly found his hearing returning. He had found the boundary of whatever spell had made the sound go away!

Another half-step brought him within sight of Colden at last. So there he was!

Wait: SIGHT! He could see again. Guran took in as much as he could at a glance, and it was more than enough. Yeah, the bad guys had a dragon. Fine. One to more pressing pursuits: Spec was down on the floor and bleeding; and there was a dark elf holding a leash that was attached to the dragon.

Stopping right where he was, Guran cast "Healing Word" on Father Spec as a bonus action, restoring a small smattering of hit points to the cleric.
[roll0]

Fully out of spells for the day, Guran stabbed at the dark elf holding the leash. (Guessing advantage for having been hidden, and sneak attack because Colden is adjacent to the target.)
[roll1] [roll2] [roll3] [roll4]

tuxgeo

Adventurer
OOC: Another crit: Plz adjust as fitting.
Also, is a DEX check needed for the ice? Guran only went 5' (diagonally) from where he first found it. . . .

OOC: Two d20 rolls, and they come up "20" and "1" -- how often does that happen?

Last edited:

Guran channeled healing energy into the fallen form of Father Spec. For good measure, Guran slashed at the male drow, hitting a vital area and dealing a total of 16 points of damage.

Spec woke and was healed for 4 points of damage. He was prone on the floor and felt exceedingly woozy, however.

OOC: You got another critical hit, [MENTION=61026]tuxgeo[/MENTION]. Go ahead and roll your own critical damage if you get another one (I've provided a roll here). I have Guran in square Q36. If that is not correct, pipe up. I'll wait a bit to do the map update. Also, it was unclear to me after a cursory PHB reading whether healing would wake an unconscious character, so I went with "sure, why not." So Spec's no longer unconscious and Guran has healed him for 4 hp. Spec is, however, still affected by the "poisoned" condition, so he has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks. It's Spec's turn, [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION]!

Finally, it occurs to me that I was unclear about 15' cube of icy floor. That's a 15' DIAMETER of ice, not radius. It's centered on the dragon, so extend it by five feet in either direction and that'll give you the 15' diameter I'm after. Guran, in square Q36, is not on the icy section of floor, so no Dex save needed.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
OOC: Square Q36 is the one I meant for Guran, so no problem. (Darned Colden, anyway! He's taking up the famous square "Q35," made famous in Daffy Duck cartoons about "Duck Dodgers in the 24th-and-a-half-th-th Century," including references to "Illudium Q35, the Shaving Cream Atom.")

Guran DEX check on the ice:
[roll0]

Edit: Oops. I should know better than that. He's not on the ice, so foo.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
< snip >
OOC: . . . I'll wait a bit to do the map update. Also, it was unclear to me after a cursory PHB reading whether healing would wake an unconscious character, so I went with "sure, why not." So Spec's no longer unconscious and Guran has healed him for 4 hp. Spec is, however, still affected by the "poisoned" condition, so he has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks. It's Spec's turn, . . . !

Finally, it occurs to me that I was unclear about 15' cube of icy floor. That's a 15' DIAMETER of ice, not radius. . . .

OOC: About waking an unconscious character with healing: I, of course, think that's the right call; and to further support that decision, I would like to appeal to the legal mind of our DM and say, "There is precedent." Specifically, when one heals any hit points on an unconscious character who is at 0 hit points, that character becomes conscious again; so it would seem not to be far out of line at all for the same thing to happen to an unconscious character who is not at 0 hit points.

About the 15' cube: you weren't unclear, I was unlearned. I know, intellectually, that cubes are measured along one side, as distinct from cylinders which have a radius; however, I had not put that knowledge into practice, so my mind didn't fill in the actual size of the affected area correctly. I think I was lumping the icy floor in with the light from Spec's Light spell, and the region of Silence, and the region of Darkness, and not drawing the distinction proper to a cube. This one's my fault, not a lack of clarity.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
OOC: It's not entirely clear who's around Spec who is an ally, but he is grateful for the heal. Since he's disoriented, I'll have him stand and, now face to face with a dragon, not move (since the dragon would get an opportunity attack(!?!). He will strike at the crone in front of him [=ILV?], using inflict wounds (level 1 slot).

To hit: [roll0]. If successful, damage = [roll1] necrotic.[/roll]

Note to everybody. Spec has healing word, but he can only cast it on people he can see; since some are still in the darkness, he'll hold off for another round. If, that is, he can hold out.

The dark-skinned she-elf hissed in ire as Spec's spell caught her off guard and singed holes into her skin. The white dragon--its scales clinquant in Spec's bright light--reared back against its leash and pulled. Hard. The chain snapped against the dragon's strain, leaving the male drow elf holding a limp bit of black chain in one hand. The she-elf's eyes narrowed and hardened and she hissed in displeasure in Undercommon, "What have you done, Jorlan?!" The male drow blinked in disbelief at the length of chain.

Freed, the dragon reared back ten feet.

OOC: Pausing here because the dragon moved back out of reach of Colden, the male drow, Spec, and the female drow, and did not take the Disengage action. Colden and Spec get an Opportunity Attack on the dragon, if you want [MENTION=6787159]Skarsgard[/MENTION] and [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION].

351siom.jpg

https://goo.gl/photos/tX1wrLsr8zLihRzWA

MAP KEY:
ILV = Drow female
J = Drow male
E = Crone ("Elf Crone")
w.k1 = Winged Kobold1
k = Kobold

Initiative:
Dark-skinned she-elf (ILV) 21
Fulgrim 20
Male drow (J) 16
Colden 14
Winged Kobold1 (w.k1) 12
Roscoe 11
Crone (E) 10
Guran 10
Spec 10
Kobolds 5
Dragon (D) 2

[sblock=DM]
Crone __/__
Dark-skinned she-elf -12/__
Male drow -29/__
Dragon __/__
Kobold1 dead
Kobold2 dead
Kobold3 dead
Kobold4 dead
Winged Kobold1 7/7 -- sleeping
Winged Kobold2 dead
Kobold5 5/5
Kobold6 5/5

She-elf Concentration check 11 for darkness. Crone Concentration check 12 for silence[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads