D&D 5E CB's Stonefast IC -- COMPLETE

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Father Spec reels in pain. His face is a mess, scratches cutting deep furrows in his cheek and jaw. "Why, you little..."

He moves to pick up his mace from his belt loop, and with one smooth motion, he brings it smashing down onto the floor and (he hopes) onto the skittering hand.

[roll0]. If successful, damage = [roll1] bludgeoning.

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: Sorry, did I end up casting Shield twice? Just need to know so I can update my sheet/stats

Soaked, Fulgrim scrambled to his feet, nodded in appreciation to Colden, and directed a blast of fire at anything left moving that wasn't one of his companions.

OOC: Fire Bolt: [roll0], [roll1]

Spec grasped his mace, took aim, and--ignoring the blood flowing freely from his claw marks--completely flattened Hand 4. The hand twitched then moved no more.

OOC: End of combat. Post at will.

No, Fulgrim didn't cast shield twice, at least not that I can see. He cast shield in this post for Round 2, and that casting permitted him to avoid being hit by the pincer's claw attack. Let me know if you think he's cast it twice, yeah?

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: Re-reading it, once sounds correct. It doesn't sound like the claw thing got to attack me in Round 3. Shield's duration is kind of weird, I think we need a DM call on that one for future issues. The duration is listed as one round, but the text states shield only lasts until my next action. If I cast it as a reaction before my initiative turn in Round 2, it would end in that round by the text, but my turn in the next round by the duration listing.

Fulgrim stomped about, trying to wring the water from his clothes and gear. He didn't even want to think about his spellbook. Fortunately, the ink was a special blend that didn't smear, but the wet pages would have to be individually dried by a campfire. "What daft fool puts a water trap in a dwarf fortress? Why couldn't it have been something easy like crushing walls or the like?" Squelching about, he nodded to Colden. "Appreciate the lift."

Noticing the shattered hands on the ground, he finished, "Looks like I missed a bit of excitement up here?"

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Father Spec collapses, leaning against the wall for support. Blood is pouring down his face at a rate he finds alarming, as well as another, stickier fluid.

"Er, how is everyone?" he asks, breathing heavily. "Does anyone need healing right away?" He looks in the direction of the doorway to Roscoe, and waits for an answer. "Maybe there's time to catch our breath."

[sblock=If Roscoe wants healing]"Come over here, boy," says Spec. "Now let me see you. Hah, easy fix," he says, bleeding on him. He places his hand on the wound. "Now repeat with me: 'Heal me, Fharlangen'."

When Roscoe speaks the words, he heals [roll0] hit points.
[/sblock]

After ensuring that Roscoe is okay, Spec turns to himself. "Heal me, Fharlangen," he says, holding part of his flayed cheek back in place. Spec heals [roll1] hit points.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
OOC: For clarification: did the Piercers all drop into the water-trap? I notice that the combat is declared over, so the Piercers must no longer be a threat. (I did edit my post for Guran to strike out the text about his being able to see them. . . .)

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: The piercers were in the lower subterranean level where Fulgrim found himself after falling into the trap. They all dropped into the water trying to attack him and haven't been seen since. They hopefully drowned.

[sblock=OOC]
Re-reading it, once sounds correct. It doesn't sound like the claw thing got to attack me in Round 3. Shield's duration is kind of weird, I think we need a DM call on that one for future issues. The duration is listed as one round, but the text states shield only lasts until my next action. If I cast it as a reaction before my initiative turn in Round 2, it would end in that round by the text, but my turn in the next round by the duration listing.
The hand did not attack Fulgrim, it attacked Spec. Fulgrim cast shield in Round 2. When he cast it, it activated immediately and protected him against what otherwise would have been a hit by the pincer. The language of the shield entry in the PHB seems fairly clear to me, as does the RAI; shield activates immediately upon being cast and works to protect against the attack that precipitated the casting. The shield remains in effect until the start of the caster's turn on the subsequent round, so it should protect against attacks made in the intervening time period between casting and Fulgrim's turn on Round 3. That's how I wish to play it. Anything less nerfs the spell in unappealing ways.[/ooc]

For clarification: did the Piercers all drop into the water-trap? I notice that the combat is declared over, so the Piercers must no longer be a threat. (I did edit my post for Guran to strike out the text about his being able to see them. . . .)
The piercers were all down below in the watery cavern. No piercer is up top. Ditto for the pincered creature that attacked Fulgrim.[/sblock]

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: Claw-thing = Pincer. I guess Pincer-monster would have been more clear. I'm good with the ruling on shield, particularly since it is favorable to me. :D

Remove ads