Cedar Falls, Iowa

INTIMIDAT3R

Villager
54 year old gamer, I've been out of the game for 32 years. Looking to get back into it.

Bought the 5e Starter Set, Essentials Kit, AND pulled my dice out of storage.

After reading through it all, I've come to realize that 5e is A LOT more complicated than the D&D I played years ago. I'm like a monkey with a math problem.

Anyway, looking for a group in my area who's willing to teach this old dog new tricks, get together regularly, and have fun cuz I'd like to play and DM again.

Last edited:

Auramancer

Explorer
Sounds like your last experience was pre-3e. You won’t miss THAC0.

I’m in Cedar Rapids. Don’t have a current group, but interested in seeing if anything develops.

INTIMIDAT3R

Villager
Sounds like your last experience was pre-3e. You won’t miss THAC0.

I’m in Cedar Rapids. Don’t have a current group, but interested in seeing if anything develops.
The last time I played was back in 1990, in Texas at Carswell AFB(now joint base Ft Worth Naval Air Station).

We'd get together twice a month and buy a D&D module and modify it.

We called it S.E.A.R.C.H.E.R.S., similar(I'm told) to Pathfinders. Our DM was Sgt T. Paul McConnell, our supervisor. Then there was our core group of regulars me, Robert "Bobert" Clark, John, another guy I can't remember, and others that would happen to drop in. Maybe one of these guys will see this.

Anyway, we were exploring a post apocalyptic world and traveling to other worlds. It was a mixture of ancient weapons and space age weapons.

The Lazer Shotgun was my favorite but ammo was VERY limited. You'd be lucky to find 1 or 2 shells a campaign. It did a 6d6+burn damage due to the 6 to 10 lazer bolts it fired from each shell. Instant kill if you rolled six 1's.

Anyway, when we weren't playing that, I was playing with others Top Secret/Top Secret S.I.

I'm definitely looking to get back into the game, whether it's traditional D&D, modified D&D, Top Secret/Top Secret S.I., or all of the above.

Road trips to Cedar Rapids or further locations are no big deal. I just need a few weeks notice cuz of work and family.

Last edited:

Remove ads