• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Challenge: Mixing the Paladin and Rogue

Valmarius

First Post
I’m gearing up for a “victorian horror” campaign that looks like it’s going to be quite heavy on the Exploration and Interaction pillars of 5e. The PCs are essentially a van Helsing style monster-hunting group.
The character I’d like to play is an exorcist, which I’ve started planning out as a Paladin/Rogue.

How would you mix the two classes, and which subclasses would you take, in order to maximise the evil-smiting abilities of the Paladin as well as the skill focuses of the rogue?

mellored

Legend
Dex paladins do fine. And multi-attack gives you 2 chances to land sneak attack. Shields don't hinder stealth.

There's not a huge amount of synergy, but there's also not really any conflicts either.

Just make sure you have the appropriate stats if your game is using the multiclass prerequisite stat rules. Paladin is Str 13 & Cha 13, while Rogue is Dex 13.

Valmarius

First Post
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Just make sure you have the appropriate stats if your game is using the multiclass prerequisite stat rules. Paladin is Str 13 & Cha 13, while Rogue is Dex 13.

Yeah, the Str 13 is the only real annoyance there since I'd be shooting for a dex build.

I'm tossing up whether to favour Paladin levels over Rogue levels. One get me more spell slots and spells, one gets me more sneak attack dice and ASI...

Ainulindalion

First Post
One thing to remember: While a Dex build is super bendy, if you're using a Finesse weapon in melee, you can use Strength to make the attacks and still get Sneak Attack damage.

But I have a half-elf Dex paladin who uses a rapier and is multi'd into Ranger (cause OoV and FE fluff blends well). The Strength requirement wasn't that big a handicap. She's not super bright, though. *shrug*

I'd say for your described campaign, you'd want either OoD or OoV on your Paladin (maybe OotC when it comes out, depending). OotA doesn't feel like it'll fit well. OoV gives you hunter's mark which will help up your damage, though I might go OoD if you expect to see a lot of undead (always a nice thing to back up your cleric).

Assassin is always a good choice for Rogues. Thief gives you a lot more options at lower levels in the S/E pillars. Arcane Trickster also works well in S/E pillars, depending on spell choice, plus you don't have to give up as many potential spell slots that you can use for smiting. Also, shield.

Valmarius

First Post
One thing to remember: While a Dex build is super bendy, if you're using a Finesse weapon in melee, you can use Strength to make the attacks and still get Sneak Attack damage.

I hadn't thought about that. Could still use the Rapier, but go heavy armour and str. Which would allow me to focus more on feats and Chr, instead of pumping dex... Something to consider.

Bardbarian

First Post
A good mix in a dex/cha build would be 12 pal and 8 rogue imho assuming 20 levels. Since most games don't go that far I would suggest getting to level 5 pal as soon as possible although you can sneak in 1-2 levels of rogue along the way. After that it will depend on feel but paladin is a strong chassis to add the rogue to. Vengeance is the obvious choice with the channel divinity that guarantees sneak attack and the addition of haste. If you want more rogue however each level you drop from paladin will see more drastic losses. Rogue is not a superstar of class features unless you go single class all the way.

Hypothetical at 20 you will have 2 attacks (3 if hasted) doing 2d8+5 base with an additional 4d6 added to a single hit.

Remove ads