Challenging Challenge Ratings...again

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Dude. Chill out already. I don't like 4E either, but I'm a live and let live kinda guy - WotC isn't going to come burn our books because we prefer to play 3.5. All that senseless ranting will do is get you banned.

Oo I'm completely calm, just expressing my counter-opinion. But ur right, Enworld is notorious for not being supportive of negative opinions. I'll attempt to keep it to a minimum.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
But ur right, Enworld is notorious for not being supportive of negative opinions.

You initially accused D&D 4e of killing Gary Gygax. That's a bit more than "a negative opinion" :( In my experience, ENWorld isn't unsupportive of negative opinions regarding D&D 4e, it's merely unsupportive of grossly inappropriate expression of said opinions (i.e., it's okay to criticize 4e, but it's not okay to call the people who play it names or make other outrageous, deliberately inflammatory, remarks about it).

Last edited:

dante58701

Banned
Banned
You initially accused D&D 4e of killing Gary Gygax. That's a bit more than "a negative opinion" :( You did go back and edit your post to remove that highly offensive comment, though, so thanks for that. :)

Oo That's what upset people? Locally, where I live, it's considered to be common opinion.

Hiya mate! :)

Kerrick said:
Oh, I thought the Silver Rule was optional, only if you really wanted to be accurate.

Look around you, you're in a thread about making really accurate challenge ratings and effective class levels (and so forth)...are you telling me accuracy isn't important!? :D

Okay, so I'm doing it right (mostly). I don't need to multiply the Silver Rule number by 0.85 to get the ECL - I've already got it. Good deal.

:)

wizuriel said:
k so I think I got this now. Trying out an arcane ooze (CR 9 from MM3).

hd (mindless ooze) = 6.75

factor = 18.43
huge = 0.7
trait (mindless ooze) = 1.9
climb = 0.2
slow = -0.2
fullattack = 0.7
poison = 0.42
constrictt = 0.35
improved grab = 0.2
immune magic = 10
ability = -0.2
skills = 0.16
spell siphon = 4? (was the general rule for weird stuff that if would take as a feat count as +2)

gold rule = 19.34
silver rule = 15.59
CR = 10.39

Okay, a few things. Spell Siphon is at best a +1. Also I think you totalled it up wrong anyway, and you applied the golden rule incorrectly.

Hit Dice = 6.75 (factor rating)
Total factors from all other things = 15.23

Add the Hit Dice factor and the other factor = 21.98

Golden Rule: Everything after double the Hit Dice factor (13.5) is halved. That gives us 17.74.

Silver Rule (5/6ths Golden Rule): 17.74 divided by 6 and multiplied by 5 = 14.78.

Challenge Rating (2/3rds Silver Rule): 9.85 (rounded down to CR 9)

edit:
or better yet a lvl 4 human rogue NPC. 25pt buy for abilities.
3.2 for levels
0.5 for equipment
1 for std pt buy
ECL = 4.7
CR = 3

Okay.

so I have 5 lvl 6 party (EL 15)
so having 2 of those rogues would be an EL 9 making it an easy fight. The Arcane ooze is my calculations are correct would than be a moderate boss fight.

edit2: wait the arcane ooze alone would be CR 10 so EL 14 fight. The arcane ooze and the 2 rogues would be CR 16 so EL 14????

edit 3: nm read further. rogues are too low to do much with the ooze and would be ignored for the EL calculation. would they still impact exp and treasure?

Not if they don't affect Encounter Level.

dante58701 said:
Oo I'm completely calm, just expressing my counter-opinion. But ur right, Enworld is notorious for not being supportive of negative opinions.

Yet knowing that you still posted as you did. Given how many times past you have skated upon thin ice I would have hoped you had learned your lesson, and as someone who has backed you in the past thanks for letting me down. :(

Remove ads