• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Change to Teleport

The Little Raven

First Post
The random nature of teleport has always bugged me. Why would a high level caster have the same chance for a mishap as a weaker one? I decided to make it require a caster level check when you cast it, with the check result determining how accurate you are.

Very familiar: On Target (DC 10), Off Target (DC 5), Similar Area (only on a natural 1)
Studied carefully: On Target (DC 15), Off Target (DC 10), Similar Area (DC 5), Mishap (only on a natural 1)
Seen casually: On Target (DC 20), Off Target (DC 15), Similar Area (DC 10), Mishap (DC 5)
Seen once: On Target (DC 25), Off Target (DC 20), Similar Area (DC 15), Mishap (DC 10)
False destination: Similar Area (DC 20), Mishap (DC 15)

Thus, it's pretty standard for any caster to teleport to an area that they are very familiar with, but it increases in difficulty when you have more limited knowledge.

And another optional rule to add to this system: 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (geography) grants you a +2 bonus on caster level checks for teleport.

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
I think it doesn't matter how good of a spellcaster you are, only how well you know the target. A high level caster shouldn't be any better at hitting a place he's never seen before than a low level caster. They're both working off of equally poor data.

Staffan

Legend
Mourn said:
The random nature of teleport has always bugged me. Why would a high level caster have the same chance for a mishap as a weaker one? I decided to make it require a caster level check when you cast it, with the check result determining how accurate you are.
AU does something similar, but also includes how long the caster spends "developing a magical path" to the target. The DCs look like this:
Code:
[COLOR=burlywood]                                  Time taken
Familiarity         1 round    1 minute    1 hour    1 day    1 week    1 month
Currently viewing   10          5           0         0        0         0
Very familiar       20         15          10         5        0         0
Studied carefully   25         20          15        10        5         0
Seen casually       35         30          20        15       10         5
Viewed once         45         40          30        20       10         5
Description         60         50          40        30       25        20[/COLOR]
The check adds the Int modifier in addition to level.

Archer

First Post
A higher level caster always has teleport without error if he wants to avoid a mishap. I think the change is unnecessary.

Xarls Taunzund

First Post
Re: Re: Change to Teleport

Staffan said:

AU does something similar, but also includes how long the caster spends "developing a magical path" to the target. The DCs look like this:
Code:
[COLOR=burlywood]                                  Time taken
Familiarity         1 round    1 minute    1 hour    1 day    1 week    1 month
Currently viewing   10          5           0         0        0         0
Very familiar       20         15          10         5        0         0
Studied carefully   25         20          15        10        5         0
Seen casually       35         30          20        15       10         5
Viewed once         45         40          30        20       10         5
Description         60         50          40        30       25        20[/COLOR]
The check adds the Int modifier in addition to level.

Yes but with AU it is much like plotting a course for a jump through hyperspace. Quite neat really.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads