• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changing class need help

Kithas

First Post
shouldn't I go with though instead it gives me a +8 to my health and +2 with every level. so I should have 3 spells that I can have prepared + my two from my oath but I can only cast 3 max untill I reach level 5 correct?
How many spells you can cast at each level is dependent on your spell slots, it should work just like your ranger because they have the same spell slot progression.

Personally I really like tough, resilient con gets outshined by warcaster for melee casters with their hands full and I don't believe you need both. As far as it vs the +2 con, pdegan is quoting mellored whom I respect but disagree with on this point. Yes if you use all your hit dice every day(which you cannot because you only get half of them back on a long rest) you end up with the same amount of health gained from a +2 con as tough. However personally I have never used more than 1/4 of my hitdice in an adventuring day. Your mileage will of course vary but to say their health benefit is equal is false. I fully endorse getting the tough feat early because the early game is where your health matters the most, therefore that big %age boost this early is huge, and it pays dividends late game.

One big thing to keep in mind is that you do need to focus on asi's for a while after this though. Your con overall definitely needs some work and your str could use a boost. As far as balancing damage with tankiness remember that you can only deal damage while you're alive. Also I would say that sentinel may not be the best feat to mesh with your vow, it's opp attack movement already makes it hard for people to run away, and the reaction attack doesn't let you move, personally I would advise something like magic initiate into sorcerer or warlock, getting booming blade and the aoe sword one, or thunderclap, and probably magic missile but the lvl 1 spell isn't the important thing, it's the cantrips. Having access to an aoe cantrip and one that really punishes enemy movement will definitely give you the edge when you are waist deep in baddies. The main issues paladins have are getting bad guys to focus on them, and aoe this drastically helps you with both, as would a level in sorcerer(starting level 1 in sorc would also give you con save prof, 4 cantrips and some extra spell slots) for example but just some food for thought.

@pdegan This isn't the place for that discussion and to be clear I wasn't insulted but what you said I would definitely take as insulting where I in Killoth's shoes. In short what you are saying is; "Go read this super long guide and figure it out for yourself or you're a worse player." He is coming onto a forum and asking for our advice, i assume he knows about the guides and knows how to read the phb himself aswell. Telling him to go do the work himself when he's asked for help is not useful. Throwing in statements like "spoonfed a build" moves it to insulting. I've been active for a few months in the char ops on this forum and I've never seen someone respond to something like this with just a build and instructions on how not to screw it up. We do our best to give people advice and information with which to make their decisions, not make them for them.

bid

First Post
However personally I have never used more than 1/4 of my hitdice in an adventuring day.
Well then you don't need tough at all. And inspiring leader shines just as well if not better.

Vengeance is overrated and does not mesh well with sentinel. If sentinel is part of your concept, the other oaths do enough damage to satisfy you.

Kithas

First Post
Well then you don't need tough at all. And inspiring leader shines just as well if not better.

Vengeance is overrated and does not mesh well with sentinel. If sentinel is part of your concept, the other oaths do enough damage to satisfy you.

I don't have tough on that character... and my cha is only a +1 so inspiring leader wouldn't be that great... My campaign is a little odd as we usually have less than 4 fights per long rest, they are usually really tough/long though.

Early game tough is very helpful for avoiding one-hit-kills when you get unlucky vs bosses. A CR 5-7 can easily do 40+ on a crit, if you are at 10 and your max is only 30 it's curtains for you. For example, you get hit for 47, you are at 13 hp(30 max level 3), you die instantly, if you had chosen tough instead of +2 con you would be at 16(max 33) and survive. I know it seems like splitting hairs but it definitely comes up when tanking bosses pre level 5.

bid

First Post
I don't have tough on that character... and my cha is only a +1 so inspiring leader wouldn't be that great...
Since we're talking about a pally, that's not an issue.

Please don't talk about getting a feat before level 4, variant human cannot be a hard requirement. A typical encounter for 4 level 4 character is closer to 4xCR1 or 6xCR1/2. A single CR 5-7 is hard/deadly so no surprise if anyone dies.

I picked a random CR5 (earth elemental) and it only does 14 damage per hit, much less than the typical 36hp of a level 4 paladin. It would require rolling the maximum 20, 8, 8, 8, 8 to do 37 damage, hardly likely. Considering you rarely use your HD, you probably never get low enough that insta-kill is possible.

So an evil DM picks a deadly encounter of a single creature and by sheer (bad) luck gets the pally almost to zero health in 2-3 hits (as opposed to ending at 5-12 hp). That heroic pally stands his ground rather than letting another player get hit once, and that 1 in 81920 max damage crit insta-kills him. If you have that level of bad luck, TPK will happen anyway.

Remove ads