• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character background stories- what are the most common tropes that appear?

Aldarc

Legend
Even in real life, I suspect that most clergy will tell you that they were called by the Spirit/god rather than just deciding it was a nice job.
This is typically phrased in terms of a person's "calling." Seminaries and ordination boards will often discuss the difference between your "calling" and your "profession/job" regarding your ministry. There is often the expectation that you have some sort of calling.

I'm generally happy for players to develop their backstory during play. Requiring a complete one before the start tends to lead to clichés and tropes, which often don't fit the setting very well.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'm generally happy for players to develop their backstory during play. Requiring a complete one before the start tends to lead to clichés and tropes, which often don't fit the setting very well.
I think a paragraph is great, maybe two. That gives the DM some hooks and the player something to work with. The biggest benefit, to my mind, of having it develop during play is that it's more likely to produce strong character role playing, it's more likely to forge connections or bonds to the other players, and it's more likely to be somehow connected to the frame in play, either directly or thematically.

Last edited:

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I think a paragraph is great, maybe two. That gives the DM some hooks and the player something to work with. The biggest benefit, to my mind, of having it develop during play is that it's more likely to produce strong character role playing, it's more likely to forge connections or bonds to the other players, and it's more likely to be somehow connected to the frame in play, either directly or thematically.

I'm happy to get a few paragraphs. When I work up a character (something I do for fun), I usually end up with 1000-1250 words, including breaking out Traits, etc.

Remove ads