Character Builder Beta available

Thorfin

First Post
Just installed this morning using Vista 32-bit sp1 and Firefox 3.0.3.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the .NET progress bar seemed to reach 100% fairly quickly but nothing appeared to be happening after that. Instead of canceling (cancelling for our European friends), I went to make a sandwich. The completion window was waiting for me when I got back.

Install finished on reboot and... Wow! (Sorry, that could be a sore spot....Gee!).

I wasn't personally predisposed to expect a poor application but many previous comments have had me leaning in that direction. I gotta say, no disappointment here.

The professional in me says "Don't sign off till all the test scripts have been run and re-run."

The Gamer in me says "I want this..."

Asmor

First Post
Oh, something I forgot to mention...

Has anyone else been having performance issues? There's a tolerable (though not, if this were a finished product, acceptable) delay any time I click a button, but far worse than that, any time I try to type into any of the fields like character name and stuff like that, it hangs for several seconds.

I've got a gaming quality computer, not cutting edge top of the line but still should be plenty powerful for this.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Oh, something I forgot to mention...

Has anyone else been having performance issues? There's a tolerable (though not, if this were a finished product, acceptable) delay any time I click a button, but far worse than that, any time I try to type into any of the fields like character name and stuff like that, it hangs for several seconds.

I've got a gaming quality computer, not cutting edge top of the line but still should be plenty powerful for this.

Haven't had at work. I'll see what it's like on my not-so-flash home computer.

Cheers!

I get the same message. I've installed the .NET framework and the SP1. I'm running XP.
Check your add/remove programs. I had the same message after the installer had (supposedly) installed .net w/Sp1. However it hadn't installed SP1 at all, it wasn't in add/remove progs. So I manually installed SP1 and was off and running.

Cross-posted from WotC's D&DI boards:

Any advice, team? I'm really excited about trying this out!

FWIW, if this is as good as everyone seems to think, I believe it bodes very well for the future of D&DI and the D&DI tools, like the Game Table! Cool!
double and triple check .NET 3.5 with SP1 is installed.

EDIT: @Asmor runs fine on my quasi crappy (but lots of RAM) laptop.

Last edited:

Asmor

First Post
It's working fine for me now, I restarted.

I think the issue is that I had 3.5 already, and the installer downloaded SP1 and then told me to restart but I never did. I didn't realize at the time the distinction, and couldn't understand why it was downloading something I already had. :)

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Check your add/remove programs. I had the same message after the installer had (supposedly) installed .net w/Sp1. However it hadn't installed SP1 at all, it wasn't in add/remove progs. So I manually installed SP1 and was off and running.
Thanks! :)

I thought I had installed SP1 directly from Microsoft's site yesterday, but obviously something had gone wrong, because the SP1 wasn't in fact there. Today I tried again and I was able to run the program.

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
I've just reported my first bug for the thing: it seems to be impossible to set a XP number not suficient for levelling up. Either your character has 0 XP or 1,000 and more.
Actually, this is possible. On the "Level Up" screen, if you choose from the drop down menu a level higher than your current level and click "Level Up", it will automatically give you the minimum XP necessary. BUT, all you need to do is type a new total in the box and click "Set XP" (which toggles with the "Level Up" button). In fact, if you don't want to level up but want to update your XP total, all you need to do is leave your current level as the default in the drop down list, then type in what you want in the XP box, and again click the "Set XP" button.

I probably don't make it sound easy, but it is!

Remove ads