• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Builder Beta available

evilgenius8000

First Post
I rather enjoy the program. My only beef is the horrendous official character sheet it outputs all your character's info into... Not to mention the power cards that aren't formatted to even fit all of a power's info, so that some info trails off into oblivion.

EDIT: Oh, I was also a little put off by the fact that my male genasi had to settle for a female portrait... :(

Agamon

Adventurer
EDIT: Oh, I was also a little put off by the fact that my male genasi had to settle for a female portrait... :(

Go to My Pictures/ddi/Sample Portraits. The pics are 305x278, put whatever you want in there. I had to add a pic for my doppleganger warlock (mind you, I could have used any and all of the portraits in there for her... :p)

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Very nice, WotC!

The only issue I have is that you can’t equip both ranged weapons and melee weapons and have it calculate your powers both ways where applicable.

For example, if I make a ranger who dual wields I can still use a bow with ranged powers. Unfortunately the sheet only allows me to equip one set of weapons at a time and if I equip swords, the sheet calculates the bonus on my ranged powers as if I’m unarmed....

Also, I'd love to see something more like Shado's character sheet than the default WotC one:

4th Edition Character Sheets and Other Resources | Dragon Avenue: a Dungeons and Dragons Community

Riley

Legend
Supporter
The only issue I have is that you can’t equip both ranged weapons and melee weapons and have it calculate your powers both ways where applicable.

For example, if I make a ranger who dual wields I can still use a bow with ranged powers. Unfortunately the sheet only allows me to equip one set of weapons at a time and if I equip swords, the sheet calculates the bonus on my ranged powers as if I’m unarmed....

Actually, there are options for customizing this on the character sheet. You can create a section which displays calculations for the powers you want with the weapon you want.

It's verry cool.

mearlus

Explorer
I rather enjoy the program. My only beef is the horrendous official character sheet it outputs all your character's info into... Not to mention the power cards that aren't formatted to even fit all of a power's info, so that some info trails off into oblivion.

The character sheet fields also have the info trail off when space could be used below it. I already submitted a bug report about it ;)

Shroomy

Adventurer
I keep on getting the following error message when I try to use the Character Generator. I think I installed .NET sp 1 correctly, but I'm not the most computer savy person. I've reported the issue to WoTC, but does anyone have any solutions for this layman?

The error message:

Could not load file or assembly "System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKey Token=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Hmm, I missed all the character sheet customization functionality. Very cool. I see now how to add weapons the basic attack section, but it doesn't look like you can edit the power cards which I would like to be able to do.

I also see that my bow information is now appearing on my ranged power cards. I must not have saved it before.

Xris Robin

First Post
It could use an export function. They mentioned something about a forum code output, but only as a summary. I'd like a full text output, for sharing over things like simple email or something.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Disregard my earlier post, my .NET 3.5 sp 1 did not install properly when I first tried it. Re-ran the setup.exe and its working fine now. This thing looks awesome.

Caliber

Explorer
Very awesome! Was easier to install on my Macbook using Parallels to run Windows XP than on my big powerful desktop running Windows Vista natively. No problems on the Vista box once installation was complete, but my Macbook had to turn off DirectX emulation or else it crashed almost right away. Also, I can't seem to change the portrait without a blow-out (although, this COULD be because Parallels is emulating a non-DirectX capable vid card?)

Anyway, AWESOME program. So much to like, its hard to pick a favorite feature. My DM asked me to generate some characters for him as a favor and using the auto-generate feature had nine characters for him in about 20 minutes. Probably aren't optimized, but hey, thats still pretty good! :)

Remove ads