• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Concepts

smootrk

First Post
What kind of character class or character concept have you been wanting to play, but have never had the opportunity, or circumstances never warranted such a character?

I have 2 such characters that I have always wanted to build. The first is an Archivist with a focus on necromancy, possibly multiclassing with a Wizardly class. He would be a Dr. Frankenstein kind of a character who continually has to reconcile his scientific knowledge(or arcane in this case) with morality questions (stemming from the divine nature of Archivist).

The other character type that I want to build is a Dwarven Lumberjack (Ranger/Fighter) sundering aspen trees with his Dwarven Urgosh, providing timber for his Dwarven clan who likewise work with wood. It is a necessary function within dwarven society, albeit not the stereotypical role that non-dwarves are accustomed to seeing.

So what concepts have you been champing at the bit to play??

JustKim said:
A doll mage. A spellcaster who animates, controls and utilizes dolls and effigies like a necromancer does undead.
You could kind of emulate that in a fun way with psion who uses astral constructs, especially if you played a doll mage who moonlighted in messing with her opponents' heads.

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
I've kinda wanted to play..for the last little while...a necromancer. But not an ordinary necromancer. A necromancer who is lavishly flamboyant who, despite his choosen field, (his fathers dying wish) embraces the thrill and power of evocation. He would be a rich braggart who likes to swagger around and flout his power and education and play through dungeons with his scroll caddy.

Yes, scoll caddy (and this is the part I've been wanting to play for a long time), his caddy would be an undead lumbering oaf with just enough sense to pull the right scroll...most of the time (with an intensive colour coding system). The caddy would have shelves and drawers built right into him accompanied by a toggling light spell to aid...should the need arise to inspect a more difficult spell. There would also be locked secret compartments for valuable components and knick-knacks. Of course, his ribs would have great many wand sheaths as well as a couple jars of perfume to 'decaddify' the odour. Anyhooo, that's what I've been wanting to play for the last little while. :)

Gnome Quixote

First Post
Wild Gazebo said:
I've kinda wanted to play..for the last little while...a necromancer. But not an ordinary necromancer. A necromancer who is lavishly flamboyant who, despite his choosen field, (his fathers dying wish) embraces the thrill and power of evocation. He would be a rich braggart who likes to swagger around and flout his power and education and play through dungeons with his scroll caddy.

Yes, scoll caddy (and this is the part I've been wanting to play for a long time), his caddy would be an undead lumbering oaf with just enough sense to pull the right scroll...most of the time (with an intensive colour coding system). The caddy would have shelves and drawers built right into him accompanied by a toggling light spell to aid...should the need arise to inspect a more difficult spell. There would also be locked secret compartments for valuable components and knick-knacks. Of course, his ribs would have great many wand sheaths as well as a couple jars of perfume to 'decaddify' the odour. Anyhooo, that's what I've been wanting to play for the last little while. :)

Oh, wow...consider this 'yoink!'ed. I do believe I've found my next PC.

I've always wanted to play a really civic-minded necromancer, a good-hearted fellow who uses his undead to do things like trash service, helpers for the elderly, that sort of good deed. It doesn't work in DnD because undead are innately evil and creating undead is an innately evil act.

The other thing I always wanted to try was somebody who was just fantastically lucky. You know the type, no skills, minimal BAB, no special powers aside from luck. But sure as you aim the Ballista at him he's going to notice a gold piece somebody dropped and bend over to pick it up just as the giant bolt flys over his back. This could be done with a custom class with all good saves, save boosting bonus feats, and an ability to automatically get a 20 on any d20 dice roll whatsoever X times a day. Maybe force opponents to have to "take 1" X times a day too.

smootrk said:
The other character type that I want to build is a Dwarven Lumberjack (Ranger/Fighter) sundering aspen trees with his Dwarven Urgosh, providing timber for his Dwarven clan who likewise work with wood. It is a necessary function within dwarven society, albeit not the stereotypical role that non-dwarves are accustomed to seeing.

I can see it now - a dwarf walks out of the mine, his face streaked with dirt as he turns to face the camera and says:
"I never wanted to do this job in the first place!
I... I wanted to be...

A LUMBERJACK!"

Sorry, couldn't resist! :lol:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In D&D, I always wanted to play a "vodoun" inspired LN or NG necromancer (in current terms, SpecWiz Necro/Cleric of Death, possibly with Mystic Theurge in the mix as well) with a bit of Capoira & Escrima thrown in.

Nyaricus

First Post
I'm planning on playing a concept I think is really fun starting tomorrow: a Dark Sun elf who's kinda really crazy, but also very intelligent, and who's kinda lie speedy gonzalas on pep pills. I'm likely be going Scout/Ranger path with a bow, and add in an appropriate PrC or two if need be :)

I'd also love to play a Sorcerer/Druid combination with a big love-on for fire spells :D (bonus points if you get this slightly vague reference ;))

An undead hunter that's a ranger/cleric who fihgts in leather armour and weilds a mace. A very dark, anti-hero-type character. Seems like it'd be like fun :D

A few others I can't think of, I'm sure :)

cheers,
--N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads