• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Creation

Xath

Moder-gator
Here's a fun fact depending on the actual date of the game in 1879.

Up through September 10, the town was still known as Maxwell, New Mexico.

From September 10-29, the town was called Dorsey, New Mexico.

From September 29-now, the town was called Springer, New Mexico.

cuteasaurus

First Post
Xath said:

Huh. How about that. Makes you wonder about the politics going on in that city at the time... :)

Archon

First Post
I've been talked back into playing John Cash. I like the character and i look forward to playing him. I don't have time now to post more back story but as of now everything i've already said about John Cash is still the relevant.

Xath

Moder-gator
cuteasaurus said:
Huh. How about that. Makes you wonder about the politics going on in that city at the time... :)

Check out the Fred Thompson thread. I've mostly been using actual events from the area and time period, twisting them only ever so slightly. It's fascinating stuff.

"His Debt Will Be Mine"

Honor. Honor is important to Wu. Honor and obedience, they go hand-in-hand.

At the age of five, men with loud voices and harsh words called her father dishonorable. They told him that he was detestable for taking a loan from the Triad and not paying it back. Though she did not understand the ramifications of her actions, she gave herself to the men that threatened her father.

Looking up at the dark men with her strange eyes – one green, one brown – she simply stated, “His debt will be mine.”

And with that, she was taken far, far away.

From the age of five to the age of fourteen, she was trained. Trained as a tumbler. Trained as an assassin. She would travel the world with a troupe of tumblers, but that was only their front. Entertainment was far from their actual objective.

A man, known only to Wu as Heng, taught her to be swift, gentle, and clean in both her acrobatics and missions.

Despite his prowess, the pain in his eyes was ever-obvious. He was obligated to do this deed. His honor depended upon doing this task. Wu understood that all too well. A bond, silent but strong, grew between the old man and the small girl.

She completed her first mission at nine, snapping a large man’s neck with her bare hands.

She was the youngest (by far) of the Triad’s “Entertainers” to successfully complete a mission.

Her expertise allowed her privileges amongst the Entertainers. It did not take her long to understand that, when they were on their missions, those tiny Chinese acrobats were *hers*. She took full advantage of it, only killing a target when absolutely necessary. Though she felt it was dishonorable to use them in such a way, it was better than the guilt that followed the crack of a neck or the wave of blood.

At fourteen, Wu was brought into a small, dark chamber. It smelled of Opium and incense. A strange man with a top hat and cane sat rigidly upright on the floor, legs crossed in front of him. “Wu, my name is Mr. Barnum. You will travel with me to America… and you will be a star in the Greatest Show on Earth!”

Heng stepped out of the shadows and handed her a small pouch. With a hastened hug he whispered, “Await your orders in America. They will come from the fortune teller. This man may believe he owns you, but the Triad does not give up such prized possessions – they use them.”

* * *​

Her time with the circus was painful - two and a half years of torture. Many horrible things happened to her, and she did many more horrible things to many, many people. She had no troupe to place the guilt upon.

She visited the fortune teller's hut - a small tent with a blazing red hand painted on its side -monthly to discover her missions. Late at night, she would creep to the tent.

But one night in 1879 as Wu slid through the shadows - she saw something with those strange, big eyes she will never forget, but never retell.

Honor was the least of Wu's worries as she ran from the circus camp... but the shame and guilt brought by the dishonor of disobeying her orders and abandoning her father's debt were not far behind.

No doubt it will catch her eventually.

Last edited:

The_Universe

First Post
Other than the fact that this (as will most, I suspect) also suffers from a bit of the "How the heck is this person still level 1!?" syndrome, it's good stuff. She's seen both Cash and Slava at one time or another, correct?

The_Universe said:
Other than the fact that this (as will most, I suspect) also suffers from a bit of the "How the heck is this person still level 1!?" syndrome, it's good stuff. She's seen both Cash and Slava at one time or another, correct?
That's why I worked in the "she doesn't kill anyone herself" thing...

... also - the assassin thing was YOUR idea. So poo on you!

The_Universe said:
Only Slava.

The_Universe

First Post
I thought she killed a guy, though - snapped his neck?

And I'm not really complaining - all of the characters are going to have more powerful backstories than their initial abilities will reflect, I bet.

The_Universe

First Post
Xath said:

I think we're starting in October, so it's definitely Springer, as of now.

Remove ads