Character Death and New PCs

S'mon

Legend
My normal on-death rule is that the new PC starts with half the XP of the old PC. This worked fine in 1e-2e where it normally just meant the new PC was a level behind. For 3e I'm willing to decree a minimum starting level though, which for a large PC group will be the lowest level of the remaining PCs. Generally I want to avoid too large a disparity in levels amongst the PCs, since it tends to be self-reinforcing - lower level PCs are weak, weak PCs die more. Currently group is 9th-12th level, and if PCs die, new PCs come in at a minimum 9th level.

Bagpuss

Legend
MerakSpielman said:
They don't want to try new characters, either. Right now they're making up their new characters for my new campaign, and they're working on backstories. The campaign is still a couple months away from starting. They put a LOT of work into their characters.

Thread Hi-jack warning.

Personally I put as much effort if not more into my Call of Cthulhu and Cyberpunk character as I do into my D&D ones. The availability of raise dead, and expected life-span seems to have nothing to do with the effort most players I've seen put into their characters.

I suppose with D&D being only one of several games our group plays we get use to characters dieing. There arn't many games except D&D where death isn't the end of the character.

Cyberpunk - dead is dead
Cthulhu - dead is dead, or at least if you come back the rest of the party immediately opens up with shotguns at your walking corpse.
Flashing Blades - dead is dead
etc, etc.

I guess that's why I too have 'nerfed' the raise dead spells, so they can only be cast at certain temples of the characters own faith and at certain times of the year.

We now return you to your scheduled broadcast...

Oh and new characters start at the lowest party level.

Last edited:

Hellzon

First Post
Emerald said:
[...]Under what circumstances do you roll up a new character as opposed to raising your old one?

When the old charachter falls down a one kilometre deep hole, smashes into the roaring river at the bottom and is flushed away? Happened to my first charachter...

And no, true resurrection was not an option by then. We were about 4:th level. :p

Bagpuss

Legend
Hellzon said:

When the old charachter falls down a one kilometre deep hole, smashes into the roaring river at the bottom and is flushed away? Happened to my first charachter...

And no, true resurrection was not an option by then. We were about 4:th level. :p

Sounds like Forge of Fury.

Angcuru

First Post
In my group, we have a ritual burial method for our character sheets. I work doing construction, now and then, so when a character dies, we bury/stash/hide the sheet somewhere in the client's house/property. For example: One character (an assassin) was obsessed with stashing the bodies of his victims beneath the floorboards of random homes. So we laid his character beneath the floorboards when we got to that stage of construction. There was also a dwarf who we mixed in with the cement. :D

To tell the truth, I have never had any of my characters die. Lucky Rolls, I guess, or just knowing what not to do and when not to do it.. :)

Anyone else here who has never had the dreaded "Roll up a new character!" phrase directed at them?:)

Last edited:

Cedric

First Post
Had a friend of our family who bought an old, old building, circa turn of the century. This building was falling apart, so they were finishing the demolition.

They found a brown burlap sack that contained the remnants of one of the construction workers lunches from when they built the building.

Inside was a square Coca~Cola bottle. Apparently, it was so rare, there were so few left in the world...they were able to sell it for like $75,000.

Heh, off topic sure, but your character story made me think of this.

Cedric

Angcuru

First Post
you people just have no sense of humor. :p

I bet you all think i'm the type to bathe my dice in my own blood, eh?

I knew a guy who did that once, damn, he was weird...

Remove ads