• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Folio - Character Sheet for iPad

DarktheatreLLC

First Post
iPods/iPhones are great for rolling dice and some utility apps but overall the form factor wasn't near what we needed for a fully functional character sheet. The two together (as illustrated by this hastily taken pic) would be great. We'll start with iPad and move to Android early 2012.
cfanddice.jpg

-Lenny

Janx

Hero
I currently use my laptop with an Excel spreadsheet I wrote for my char sheet.

Key aspects:
  • every skill, feat and spell is hyperlinked to d20srg.org's specific URL so I can pop-up the rules
  • the experience tab logs my XP, totalling it up for me (thus tellimg me I leveled, and it stores the results of each new hit die

I use 1 tab per topic (general, skills, feats, spells, equipment, experience, combat)

The combat tab shows my total attack bonus for each weapon I have readied, and my current AC

It also has the ability to add/subtract HP as I take damage. This is crucial for a charsheet, the ability to click a button, fill in how much damage I took, and have it do the subtraction easily.

I don't need a dice roller, certainly not one that puts a lot of art into it. If I did have one, I'd make it just roll attack rolls and damage in a simple format so I can read the results to my GM.

DarktheatreLLC

First Post
Update on status

Hello all,
We've gotten to the point where we have a few beta copies out there and lots more screenshots to be found at the site. I am currently creating PC's and tearing 'em back down again to see what we can do with the app. Fighter with spells? Done. Front load some hit points on to a new PC? Done. We are striving to make sure house rules can be accounted for and that the app functions nearly as seamlessly as a paper character sheet. Actual screenshots used!

beta2-4.PNG

Darktheare LLC

-Lenny

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Crap! I play C&C, S&W and other Old School games, but this may just bring me back to 3.5 / Pathfinder!

Nicely done!

JDragon

Explorer
Very nice looking app!

Now the question becomes do I sell my Moto Xoom and get an IPad or wait for you to port it over to Android. :p

Glad to hear you have Android in mind, I'm assuming you'll be starting with 3.0 Honeycomb?

JD

DarktheatreLLC

First Post
We definitely will have an Android version though not right off the bat. iPad would always lead the way with new features/character sheets and then we'll transition those to Android.

Our goal is to have an Android version by end of 2011 (which is hopefully an estimate made using the Scotty School of Engineering method)

I notice you are not doing calculations and thus probably can skirt the pitfalls associated with the OGL. What file format will you store/load the characters in?

Will you do die rolling? Maybe tap Str and it rolls d20 and adds the modifier. Tap a weapon in the attack area and it rolls an attack. Tap the weapon in the damage area and it rolls the damage.

How are you getting around the pitfalls of the OGL when it comes to automating the character sheet? The OGL requires that you make open content you use distinguishable from non-open content. How does your app do this? Did you consult with people who've done this before, such as the PCGen folks?

DarktheatreLLC

First Post
We are looking at different ways of distinguishing content. d20 System License certainly has pitfalls with automation. Haven't talked to PCGen but it's a good idea.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads