• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Funerals

Xaven

First Post
Well, in one game I DMed, the players paid about a third of their total party worth to build a statue in rememberance of a fallen comrade. It really surprised me that they did that, I am used to "I am not spending money unless I get a benefit from doing so". This was a different group, though, so go figure?

JoeGKushner

First Post
No burial rights for the dead in most cases because whatever killed the party member tends to eat it! Of course that's assuming that there are some party members who survived. There are then "fake" funerals in honor of the dead where the party celebrates and has a round or two to the departed.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Unfortunately our "burials" seem more like a shopping spree... other PCs discussing what Items they will keep for themselves !!!

" I Need those boots more than you !"

Or worse... when we carry around the dead to ressurect them back in town... I had a centaur PC of mine carrying two dead PCs once !! No Burials in that group ... :)

Wolfen Priest

First Post
In arguably the best campaign I've ever played in (WEG Starwars game back in 1990), I was DMing and two characters died in a snowspeeder battle against some AT-ATs (original, I know!)...

The wookie named Darbacca (yes, Darbacca), and a mercenary cat-person named Maximillian... Me and the two players stood outside in my backyard, with a thin layer of icy snow on the ground, and burned their character sheets in a magnificent funeral pyre.

The whole time we kept humming "Yoda's Theme" (I think that was the name of it... it might have been "Luke and Leia"... I forget the names of the songs, but it was a soft one).

Probably the most memorable RPG moment of my entire life, as if we had blended the game right into reality. All very tongue in cheek, mind you; I'm not a sociopath. :)

Remove ads