• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Hooks

Hand of Graz'zt

First Post
I have posted this in the General Discussion forum but this is probably a better place for it.

While not a plot in and of itself, a character hook can be the starting place for some of the greatest plots and storylines in any game. Stalking the Dread Lord of Nambia is so much more fun when you learn he is.....your brother (insert dramatic music here).

Anyway here we go:

I am currently preparing a player's handout for my new 4e campaign. In order to assist them with character development I wish to give them a list of character hooks - similar to that suggested in a recent Dragon article.

I have prepared a number below, please critique and edit my atrocious writing as well as suggest your own. They are not intended to be crunch, purely wispy pieces of fluff to ignite the imagination.

If any of them seem like a waste of space by all means say so.

My players range from die-hard gamers to first timers ready to burst their D20 cherry.

Here is what I have so far:

Detective
Sent by your order/noble you have arrived in Malenter Vale to investigate rumours of <xxxxx>. Like all areas in these dark times you will need to integrate yourself with the towns and overcome their suspicion of outsiders in order to gain their confidence so you can complete your mission.

Indebted
Times have been tough for your family, whether it be a small mining venture, trading house or a once great noble family that has fell on hard times and needed the assistance of another party to help them through the tough days. Unfortunately, the streak of bad luck continues and unless you can raise the funds soon, your family may face complete ruin (or worse!). Turning to the life of an adventurer you hope to raise your family name (or business) to the heights it belongs.

My Sword, Squire!
Eye of Newt, Spiders Leg
Family Man
The Eager Student

You have longed to join this knightly order, now that you have learnt the rudiments of your chosen profession, you are ready to petition for membership.
OR
You have longed to join this guild of magi, secret society or dark coven of warlocks. Now, through long study and great sacrifice you are ready to petition for membership.
OR
Silent steps and unseen deeds have lead you to this brotherhood, the life of crime is the only way for you.
OR
Whether it be a swordsman of great skill or mage of dark powers, you long to serve this person so you may to one day share a part of their greatness.

Vengeance Will Be Mine! (Person, Group, Organisation)
Foul Beast! Yours Days Are Numbered!

A slain family member, an ancient heirloom or bloody vendetta, you have sworn you will see the end of the Blood Cult of Shara-Ti, Vragul the Lich or the white dragon Frostflame.

The Chosen One
As you reached adulthood, your parents revealed the secret truth. You are not their child at all, one dark night, amongst arcane symbols, evil words of power and bloodcurdling screams you were to be dedicated as the Chosen One for some dark purpose. Saved by a wandering band of warriors you were dropped on the couples doorstep and they have raised you as their own.

Court Intrigue (Eladrin or Erathon)
While battle or words of magic excite you, nothing gets your blood racing like the intrigues of the Court of the Green Lady or the nobles of Erathon. Secret agreements behind velvet curtains, the fall of your rival, the affection of the beautiful ladies that frequent the halls of the powerful, this is what you live for.

Roger

First Post
I wouldn't call them a waste of space, but they're not really up my alley, on a personal level.

You have a list of things the characters are. I like my hooks to be a list of things the characters want. Goals, in other words.

But, like I say, that's just me. It's nice to have a handle on the character concept too, and I think your list is pretty good for that.

Cheers,
Roger

exile

First Post
In a home game, I really think these things are so much better when hashed out between the DM and the individual player. Maybe you start by telling the players as a group what kind of campaign you will be running (or at least how you plan to start it). They create characters with this information in mind, each giving some thought as to how they see their character fitting into the campaign. You take ideas that you like to drive the direction of the campaign and talk with players about revising things that don't fit so well with your vision (or even simply adding a layer of detail that they did not feel comfortable going into).

Chad

Hand of Graz'zt

First Post
Thankyou for the feedback.

All these are intended to be are a springboard for players to build their character concept on.

For example, looking through the list one of the players might come across "The Eager Student", reading the entry he is hit with a sudden burst of inspiration, instead of looking for a master, he "is" the master. Running an "Adventuring School" in a nearby town he was fleecing the local youths and nobles with his training in dungeon skills. Eventually found to be a fraud, he ran away from the town in shame, determined to show those fools he really is the great adventurer he made himself out to be.

Here is a couple more I have come up with:

Sword of Power, Staff of Magic
As a child you were entranced by the legends regarding this magical blade or mystic item. As you grew into your own power, you learnt more secrets of this item, including its likely location, right here within the Vale!

Arranged Marriage
While the custom has grown out of practice, it is still followed faithfully by a number of people, one such being your family. Perhaps you are fleeing an unsuitable arrangement or need to find your recently disappeared bride.

Please suggest some more, I would like to give my PC's as many as possible to choose from.

chromeraven

First Post
would something like this be of help to you? as a variation on Sword of Power, Staff of Magic

Lost Family Honor
Long ago, our family was defeated - utterly. Our ancestral arms have been scattered to the corners of the world, and the we of the line have been working ever since to recover these precious items. Over the generations, we have recovered all save our [weapon of might, implement of power, ancient standard, etc]. Finding the last of these scattered items is your birthright. Restoring the item to the family will [bring about some ancient prophecy, reunite the family with society, activate the hidden magics within the items, restore ancient Pacts, etc] The legends [you, we, your family, your learned mentor, etc] have been following put your family's heritage in the [Campaign Area]. Good luck, my child.

Last edited:

arcanaman

First Post
Do not start planing complete around these till you know if your players are using them otherwise all this will be for not but I assume you know that already or not if your players are going to use them

Quartz

Hero
There's a big thing missing: any reason for the characters to stay together in the longer term. That, I think is as important as the individual character motivations. To this end, each character should have links to two other characters.

Remove ads