Character Submission Thread

GlassEye

Adventurer
There's so many fiddly bits that it's easy to forget one or two. Happens to all of us; I just happened to have gone through the whole familiar thing with Kepli/Scuttle so it was fresh in my mind.

FrancisJohn

Explorer
I know non-DM's can only have two active characters, but could I make some extras and have a 'stable' of characters I could pick for adventures? I know I wouldn't advance that fast overall level wise, but I have a few personalities I'd like to try out.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I think the answer to that is yes (but maybe I think that because I'm actually doing that). Please don't flood with a bunch of characters at once though.

Aura

Explorer
The only cautionary note I have on the subject of having a 'non-active' character in order to have a choice of characters for adventures is it can invite the practice of meta-gaming the character selection process for personal advantage. I've seen that overtly in Pathfinder Society and it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I'm not sure what you mean, Aura. Could you explain? (Character selection seems pretty meta-game to me already but I'm not sure how it can be manipulated to personal advantage.)

Aura

Explorer
Sure. What I am referring to is that the selection of a character for an adventure based on non-IC information. A personally witnessed example of this was a player who switched his character to his 'investigative' character after successfully pumping the GM for information. As such, he had a disproportionate number of useful skills and other abilities.

Now, this is not to say that characters could (or should) not be selected based on information the characters could actually have. Perhaps a character would be disinterested in an adventure because of the identity of the potential employer or associates who are showing interest.

It's also worth noting that the selection process is already somewhat artificial, although sometimes we give some window dressing to it to attempt to make it sound plausible. But, as we know, the real reason is: "This is an adventure for a-b characters of x-y level." However, I am understandably willing to deal with such artificialities as they make the game more enjoyable for all.

PS: Review of Illiolidenna almost complete. Initial edits made but I need to head to bed.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I know non-DM's can only have two active characters, but could I make some extras and have a 'stable' of characters I could pick for adventures? I know I wouldn't advance that fast overall level wise, but I have a few personalities I'd like to try out.
Sorry, the answer is actually “no” unless you are a DM and can spend DMC.

The policy was that you have to retire an active one to create new ones. The reasoning was that it takes a lot of work to review and approve characters and their leveling up, so the burden is all on us Judges for nothing in return. DMs earn DMC to as a reward for giving back to LPF and that is why they are allowed the extra characters

I think the answer to that is yes (but maybe I think that because I'm actually doing that).
Right because DMs are an exception, GE. ;)

We can spend DMC to get a 3rd character or more. Since a DM can have a 4th in play if we are DMing enough games, we are able to spend DMC to create extra characters as we only semi-retire some as the available adventures no longer match while we have to balance DMing duties. But most of those semi-retired characters have not actually come back into play, IIRC. Mine has not, at least.

The only cautionary note I have on the subject of having a 'non-active' character in order to have a choice of characters for adventures is it can invite the practice of meta-gaming the character selection process for personal advantage. I've seen that overtly in Pathfinder Society and it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
Yeah, I don't think that will apply here. No one is sitting with a stable of characters all the same level.

Remove ads