• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Submission Thread

Grayn

First Post
Answers vary (a little) depending on what class you are talking about. Since your character on the wiki is a witch I'll answer based on that.

1) Bonus spells from high Int can't be used until you can actually cast that level of spells.
2) You must select the known spells stored in your familiar. For witches this is detailed under the familiar class feature. Essentially: all 0-level spells, 3 1st level spells, plus additional 1st level spells equal to your Int modifier (from the witch's spell list). From these known spells you prepare the number of spells you can cast each day. The spells held by your familiar is set and only changes when you go up a level and gain new spells or buy scrolls to teach the familiar. Spells you cast on a daily basis can be changed each day as long as they are spells that your familiar holds.

I should have read the familiar section a little closer. I was focusing on spells and didn't get that far into the descriptions.

Ok, question on the profession skill. Does it really play any roll? Are people making coin with their profession? Or is it just for flavor?

And speaking of professions, would fortune telling fall into the profession skill? I am talking more like a personal counselor that uses star charts, reads tea leaves and tarot cards and "listens" to other planes to answer questions. I know this borders perform, but it doesn't really fit into in of the nine categories and needing to use different skills (like math for astrology, statistics to guess probabilities) would seem to fit more in profession. I am also not really talking about anything magical. I am thinking more like real world fortune tellers. People that give the illusion for knowing things unknown and providing guidance and comfort for their clients.

Satin Knights

First Post
In PFS, a profession or craft is needed to make the Day Job roll. In LPF, we don't have Day Jobs that increase the character's finances. Finances are locked into a set schedule based on XP earned and days in game. So, financially, no it does not help. Character flavor wise, it is a good investment. And, when you get into a "bluff and influence" situation, profession fortune telling could be used instead of your straight bluff roll, if the GM allows. Masterwork Tarot cards would help you get a +2 bonus for an extra 50 gp as a masterwork tool.

One of the characters had several chances to use Profession Sailor in my Wreck Ashore game, but he went AWOL early in the game.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I play a wizard-elementalist who works for his uncle as a scriber. I could have put a rank in profession scribner, but that would have only been for flavor.

jackslate45

First Post
SK really hit the nail with the profession part. It really depends on what your characters back story is.

Aradra has 5 years of training in an actual military, so I was planning on putting 5 ranks into Profession: Solider. Has he ever used it? Nope. But (given the amount of skill points he has gotten) I felt it was worthwile.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[MENTION=6706173]Mr.Tinker[/MENTION], keep posting a bit more! then you can leave a link to Morgrym!!

Satin Knights

First Post
Looking over Morgrym Nimblefingers:
a) Skills use the ability modifiers and trait bonuses even if you have not spent a rank in the skill yet. Only the +3 class bonus requires a skill point spent. So, several skills fixed.
b) I am not sure which feat is supplying the bonus to the sling attack. Throw anything doesn't seem to apply to a sling. Splash weapon focus doesn't seem to apply either.

Suggestions:
1) LPF has a 100% buyback of unused items. So, it is best to spend all but your last 10 gp on equipment before going out on an adventure. If you don't use it, you can sell it back to the store for the same price as you bought it.
2) I suggest buying a few trail rations. Some GMs are sticklers while you are traveling.

So, close, but not yet.

Mr.Tinker

First Post
Thanks for looking Morgrym Nimblefingers over Satin Knights. Will address those issues soon !

Regarding items, I didn't want to buy too much, since he can't carry that much more without being affected by weight, but I will definitely buy some rations ! How could I ever forget to buy those :-D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads