• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Characters in the same square...

Gyoza sausage bun

First Post
I thought there was a rule somewhere that if 2 creatures are in the same square (for example 2 people grappling, or a tiny creature attacking a person) then there is a chance that anyone attacking into the square will hit the wrong target. But I can't for the life of me find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Christian

Explorer
There's a rule about that with regards to attacks of opportunity by characters other than the participants in a bull rush. See page 136 of the Player's Handbok.

Extending that to any other situation where two characters are in the same space would be a house rule ...

Quidam

First Post
it's when they're grappling

In a grapple, any missile weapons fired into the grapple have an even chance of hitting any grapplers. It's only listed as a footnote to the AC modifications table- pretty buried, but there.

Moonglum

First Post
In a grapple, any missile weapons fired into the grapple have an even chance of hitting any grapplers.

D'oh... Another one of those "I've been doing it wrong for almost 2 years now" things. I'll have to break the bad news to the group.

I guess it's time for that 8th read of the PHB

AGGEMAM

First Post
reapersaurus said:
But are there any penalties to attacks by either person that's in the shared square?

They can only attack eachother, and only with a single light weapon (or unarmed).

Thanee

First Post
Re: it's when they're grappling

Quidam said:
In a grapple, any missile weapons fired into the grapple have an even chance of hitting any grapplers. It's only listed as a footnote to the AC modifications table- pretty buried, but there.

EDIT: Oops! :)

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

reapersaurus

Explorer
AGGEMAM said:
They can only attack eachother, and only with a single light weapon (or unarmed).
no no no.

there might be a miscommunication here?

You're saying that if 2 friendlies occupy the same square, they can't attack the bad guy right next to them?

If they can, what are their penalties?

AGGEMAM

First Post
reapersaurus said:
You're saying that if 2 friendlies occupy the same square, they can't attack the bad guy right next to them?

Two allies cannot be in the same square unless they are grappling a shared opponent.

EDIT: or if one of these is Tiny sized or smaller, in which case the question is void.

Last edited:

Remove ads