Characters of SMACK, the PbP game of horrid munchkinism

Jeph

Explorer
Okay, here Reapersaurus, Garyh, Janos, DM_Matt, Jeremy, Buzzard, Elric, and Sollir Furryfoot will each post a horrable, twisted, powergaming Munchkin. Their munchkins will be weighed against each other for elegance and power, and then 4 out of the 8 shall be chosen to move on to the game.

Post your munchkins!

Jeremy

Explorer
Second Draft - Edit: Added Book Tags

Arowain, Male Human Clr14/Spelldancer1/Contemplative1

Domains: Time, Travel, Mysticism
Hit Dice: 14d8+2d6+32 (134 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: Walk 20'
AC: 30 (+10 armor, +3 shield, +3 dex, +1 insight, +3 luck)
Attacks: Club +1 (Wrathful Healing) +14/+9;
Damage: Club +1 (Wrathful Healing) 1d6;
Face\Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft.\5
Special Qualities: Divine Health, Spelldance, Turn Undead 7/day
Saves: Fortitude: +24, Reflex: +22, Will: +32
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 22, Cha 18
Skills: Concentration 19; Knowledge (Religion) 14; Perform 32;
Feats: Combat Casting, Dodge, Empower Spell, Endurance, Extend Spell, Improved Initiative, Mobility, Persistent Spell
Alignment: Neutral Good

Possessions:

Cleric's Vestments (PHB, fluff)
Cloak of Displacement (Major) (DMG, 50% miss chance)
Vest of Resistance +5 (T&B, +5 resistance to saves)
Psychoactive Skin of the Hero (PsiH, +3 luck AC/ATK/SV)
Wand of Cure Critical Wounds (DMG, 4d6+16 healing)
Masterwork Dragonscale Shield (QF, +3 AC)
Masterwork Dragonscale Armor (QF, +10 AC)
Club +1 of Wrathful Healing (EA, heal 1/2 dmg)
Necklace of Prayer Beads (Bead of Karma) (DMG, +4 caster level 1 spell/day)
Pale Green Ioun Stone (DMG, +1 circumstance AC/ATK/SV/Skills)
Horn of Blasting (DMG, cone sonic damage + stunning)
Belt of the Performer +20 (DMG, Custom, +20 competence to perform)
Helm of Alacrity +1 (BoEMII, +1 insight AC)
Brooch of Shielding (DMG, negates magic missile)

Spell DC 16 + Spell Level, Spells per Day: 6/7+1/7+1/6+1/5+1/5+1/4+1/3+1/2+1

Tournament Preparation:

Day 1

Spelldance for 1 minute.
Cast 10x Extended Belsameth's Blessing (among other things, Con +6, for half a year).
Take 10 on perform check to well exceed DC of 25.
Pass Fort Save of 20 except on a 1.

Day 2

Cast Favor of Ilmater.
Spelldance for 3 minutes.
Cast Extended, 14x Empowered Eagle's Splendor (Cha +34).
Take 10 on perform check, to meet DC of 41.
Fail Fort Save of 40 (unless a 13 or better is rolled) taking 2 points of temporary Con damage, and becoming fatigued. Favor of Ilmater elimates the possibility of being fatigued.
Cast Lesser Restoration to restore the two temporary points of ability damage.

Day 3

Cast Favor of Ilmater.
Spelldance for 5 minutes.
Cast Extended, 22x Empowered Eagle's Splendor (Cha +48).
Take 10 on perform check, to meet DC of 57.
Fail Fort Save of 55 (unless a 4 or better is rolled) taking 2 points of temporary Con damage, and becoming fatigued. Favor of Ilmater elimates the possibility of being fatigued.

Day 4

Cast Favor of Ilmater.
Spelldance for 6 minutes.
Cast 10x Extended, 22x Empowered Eagle's Splendor (Cha +48).
Take 10 on perform check to meed DC of 66.
Fail Fort Save of 64 (unless a 13 or better is rolled) taking 2 points of temporary Con damage, and becoming fatigued. Favor of Ilmater elimates the possibility of being fatigued.

Day 5

Cast Favor of Ilmater.
Cast 10x Extended, 22x Empowered Eagle's Splendor (Cha +48) on Mok'Tar.
Fail Fort Save of 64 (unless a 13 or better is rolled) taking 2 points of temporary Con damage, and becoming fatigued. Favor of Ilmater elimates the possibility of being fatigued.

Day 6

Cast Favor of Ilmater.
Cast 10x Extended, 22x Empowered Owl's Wisdom (Wis +48).

Day 7

The Arowain rested. (Or perhaps cast Permanency on Mok'Tar and himself-- 5th level Time domain spell)

Day 8

Tournament begins.

Spells Cast:

Spells Cast Bi-Annually:

10x Extended Belsameth's Blessing (Weretiger, Hybrid) (5) - Str +12, Dex +4, Con +6, +2 AC, +2 Fort/Will, Balance +4, Hide +7, Listen +10, Move Silently +7, Search +8, Spot +10, Swim +5 (RR, makes caster natural lycanthrope for 1 day/level, can be given to another character but makes them afflicted, not natural)

Spells Cast Daily:

Energy Immunity (6) - Fire (T&B, self explanitory)

6x Empowered Endurance (2) - +16 Con (Perform DC 24, Fort DC 22) (PHB)

Persistent Divine Power (4) - 16 Base Attack Bonus, 18 Str, +16 HP (Perform DC 18, Fort DC 26) (PHB)
Persistent Divine Favor (1) - +5 ATK/DMG (Perform DC 15, Fort DC 30) (PHB)

18x Empowered Bull's Strength (2) - +40 Str (Perform DC 38, Fort DC 66)(PHB)
Blindsight (4) - Blindsight (MoF, 30' blindsight)
Greater Magic Weapon (4) - +5 ATK/DMG (PHB)
Magic Vestment (3) - +5 AC (PHB)
Magic Vestment (3) - +5 AC (PHB)
Spikes (3) - +10 DMG, 19-20/x2 (DotF)

Spells Cast (in round one of an encounter) if Necessary:

Mass Haste (7) - AC +4, +Extra Partial Action (PHB)
Battle Tide (5) - +Extra Partial Action (MoF, +action and minor penalties to affected enemies)
Shield of Faith (1) - +4 AC (PHB)

Adjusted Stat Block:

HD: 14d8+2d6+208 (286 hp)
Init: +9
Spd: Walk 20'
AC: 50 (30 base +4 haste, +2 BB, +10 MV, +4 SoF)
ATK: +58/+53/+48/+43, +58, +58 (16 BAB +32 Str, +5 GMW, +5 DF)
DMG: 1d8+52 (+32 Str, +10 Spikes, +5 GMW, +5 DF)
Face: 5 ft. x 5 ft./10 ft.
SQ: Spelldance, Divine Health, Scent, Blindsight, Darkvision 60', Fire Immunity
SV: Fort +61, Ref +48, Will +82
Abil: Str 74, Dex 28, Con 36, Int 10, Wis 70, Cha 66
Skills: Concentration 30; Knowledge (Religion) 18; Perform +56; Balance +10; Hide +10, Listen +40, Move Silent +10, Search +9, Spot +40, Swim +11
Feats: Combat Casting, Dodge, Empower Spell, Endurance, Extend Spell, Improved Initiative, Mobility, Persistent Spell, Blindfight, Multiattack, Power Attack

Spell DC 40+Spell Level, Spells Remaining per Day: 6/13/11+1/9+1/8+1/11+1/9+1/9+1/8+1

Munchkinland Traits:

286 hp. His weapon of wrathful healing compounds this trait by allowing him to heal half the damage he inflicts.

AC 50. 50% miss chance from displacement further strengthens this trait.

Up to 6 attacks per round means that if spellcasting won't work, Arowain can deal out around 340 points of melee damage per round. Wrathful healing makes this even more applicable.

Scent, Blindsight, and Darkvision allow for various forms of detection. With +40 to spot and listen Arowain is surprisingly difficult to surprise for a priest.

Saves are suitable for a munchkin game with even DC 70 spells having a decent chance of being saved. This trait is compounded by high hit points.

Abilities are exemplary. For the purposes of this demonstration, I assumed a roll of 3 out of 4 on all stat buff spells, this will fluxuate in game both directions.

Spellcasting ability. Spellcasters rule high level gaming and Arowain is capable of gaining two extra partial actions per round for 3 spells per round, he also has a +9 to init that allows first strike capability with those spells.

Healing. As a cleric, aside from having armor, spells, buffs, and attack bonus, Arowain also has longevity for both himself and his allies. A well timed mass heal can spell instant victory, and with a wand of cure critical wounds he allows physical attack damage allies (including himself) to continue through multiple encounters with minimal damage retention.

Defense and Versatility. With detection, hit points, AC, saves, healing, and high ability scores, Arowain has many traits designed to keep him alive long enough to deliver a payload of Corean's Fire, Blade Barriers, Flame Strikes, and Fire Storms. Added versatility comes in the form of domain spells granting access to staples such as Mass Haste and Fly.

Finishing Move: Sunfire Blades

Best used on a large group or a cluster of heavily armored foes. Preferrably affected by Battletide to reduce their saving throws by 2.

Instead of casting shield of faith in the first round, Arowain begins casting an Empowered Blade Barrier. Like Summon Monster, blade barrier has a full round casting time and thus will not come into being until the beginning of his next turn. On his next turn as the spinning barrier of blades comes into existence at about mid-calf, three empowered fire storms descend from the heavens upon the victims of the attack. Four reflex saves (DC 46, 45, 45, and 45) must be made or an average damage of 320 points of damage will be inflicted upon everyone in the area of effect. If the opponents are also suffering from Battletide, this makes the saves more difficult. If cast in a smaller area where the area of effect fills the available space, it becomes even more deadly as circumstance penalties hamper reflex saves.

For optimum carnage, this should be used in an area either already covered, or about to be covered in an Acid Fog or Solid Fog spell so that efforts to escape the Sunfire Blades are cut to 1/10th movement. Zone of Speed can also be substituted. Telekinesis and high strength grapplers can be used as supplementals to forcibly hurl opponents (back) into the area of effect.

Last edited:

Skaros

First Post
Jeremy, could you post the class levels as well? :)

Also, what sources did you draw some of the spells from? Some didn't look familiar.

Thanks!

Skaros, who is playing a cleric of Labelas in his FR campaign, and looking for pointers.

Of course while I was posting the above, you were posting the answers to the first part...still, about the sources? Thanks

Last edited:

Jeph

Explorer
Okay, ya'all have today and then 3 days before I start reviewing the munchkins. Anyone who who submits past the deadline will still considered, but it is more likely that you'll show up as an NPC than a PC. :D

buzzard

First Post
OK here he is. I had calculated the damage slightly wrong(I missed a point), really botched the attack numbers, and I did find one more decent item to add.

Oliver King :M Human Ranger (Monte Cook's)4 Fighter4 Deepwood Sniper8;Size:M; hp 106; Init +12; SpdWalk 30'ft.; AC 24; Atk = +21/+16/+1/+6 melee, +29/+24/+19/+14 ranged;SA:Concealment Reduction 10pct (2),Consistent Aim 1/day (2),Favored Enemy(Undead),Keen Arrows,Magic Weapon,Projectile Improved Critical +1 (2),Range Increment +80ft,Safe poison use,Take Aim +2 (2); AL:TN; SV Fort +10, Ref +11, +4; Str20, Dex 26, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 10. Height 5' 11",weight 187 lbs
Skills and Feats:Balance +27, Climb +18, Hide +52, Jump +11, Knoledge Monster Lore 6, Listen +10, Move Silently +37, Search +12, Spot +10, Tumble +16, Use Rope +9, Wilderness Lore +10, Know the Secrets (Undead) ,Know the Secrets (Constructs) ,Dodge,Far Shot,Improved Critical (Longbow (Composite)),Improved Initiative,Mobility,Point Blank Shot,Precise Shot,Rapid Shot,Weapon Focus (Longbow (Composite)),Weapon Specialization (Longbow (Composite))
Possessions 1 Bracers of Archery; 1 Outfit (Traveler's); 1 Boots of Elvenkind; 1 Longbow +3 (+5 Mighty/Composite/Speed); Magic Quiver - casts extended greater magic weapon 1/day at 15th level, Chain Shirt +1 (Fortification (Heavy)/Mithral/Shadow), tiger claw arrows (from Kalamar's PHB), ring of prot +2, ring of chameleon power, amulet of natural armor +2, eyes of accuracy, gloves of dexterity +6.

The damage in one round is fairly sick.
With the bow you have (within 60')
+42 +42 +37 + 32 +27 crit range is 15-20/x4 damage:1d8+ 17
with rapid shot this is:
+42 +40 +40 +35 +30 +25 at 1d8+17 15-20/x4

max damage in a round is:
600 (though certainly unlikely since this assumes max on all damage rolls and crits on every shot).

Average damage is 258 for rapid shot(if they all hit and he crits twice in a round). It is just 236 without it(also assuming 2 crits). Also the 236 can be sustained for 10 rounds (when he runs out of arrows). At this point, with normal tiger claw arrows damage drops to 198/round. In the annoying event that he faces a critter that is critical immune, he does 129 (with magic arrows, 99 without) if they all hit (average). The Know the Secrets feats allow him to crit undead and constructs.

buzzard

Last edited:

Jeremy

Explorer
Questions.

How are your dexterity and strength so high without magical aid?

Where are eyes of accuracy and what do they do?

Is the damage and attack bonuses calculated with or without the bracers of archery/point blank shot/weapon specialization bonuses added? i.e. inside or outside of 30' range?

Knowledge (Monster Lore) is from what book and what are it's general effects?

Shouldn't the rapid shot attack bonus line read +40/+40/+40 at first because of rapid shot and your bow of speed?

buzzard

First Post
Jeremy said:
Questions.

How are your dexterity and strength so high without magical aid?
I forgot a couple of magic items. They are included in my monetary calculations, but I forgot to list them. This all comes from a bad output in PCGen. I'll track em down. I think it is gloves of dex +6. He started with 18 in dex and str from the 50 point buy. 2 level points went to dex and 2 into str.

Jeremy said:

Where are eyes of accuracy and what do they do?
They are from Relics and Rituals II, they give +2 to hit and double point blank range to 60 feet. This affects weapon spec, point blank, sneak attacks, etc.

Jeremy said:

Is the damage and attack bonuses calculated with or without the bracers of archery/point blank shot/weapon specialization bonuses added? i.e. inside or outside of 30' range?
They all include the within point blank range calculations. Outside of 60' subtract 4 damage per shot.

Jeremy said:

Knowledge (Monster Lore) is from what book and what are it's general effects?
Kingdoms of Kalamar Players Handbook. In my case the general effects are to make the prerequisites for Know the Secrets. I think more generally it allows you some knowledge of monsters you encounter. Certain DCs will alow you to know special properties and whatnot. I would have to check the book at home for more specifics.

Jeremy said:

Shouldn't the rapid shot attack bonus line read +40/+40/+40 at first because of rapid shot and your bow of speed?

Yep, I fubared that. In fact I think I could make a case that it would be +42/+40/+40... since the speed attack could be considered to be on a haste granted extra partial action outside of the rapid show. That would have to be up to your interpretation.

buzzard

reapersaurus

First Post
wow.
congrats, Jeremy - you just broke a class, unless what I say is heard and acted upon.
Seriously, you just about broke the concept of magic (metamagic, at least) IF your interpretation of one level of Spelldancer is accurate.

First: props on the Belsameth's Blessing - that is an incredibly broken spell. :) What were they thinking, granting +5 or more of ECL for a mere 5th level spell, cast every week or so? :rolleyes:

So that gets the CON up to +4 bonus, for 5 rounds of casting before fatigue check.

What you didn't do exactly right (as I read it) is that you don't make your fatigue checks at the end of dancing - it's after each and every spell.
So after the very first Spelldanced spell (or at latest, the second spell), you should be doing checks, right?
They progressively get harder, and depending on the spells you selcet, isn't there a high likelihood you'll miss one?
And once you miss one, aren't you fatigued for 8 hours?
Strangely, apparently that doesn't stop you from doing "rigurous" dancing that's so strenuous that the Spelldancer needs to make a CON check.

Man, what WERE they thinking? LOL
So it takes 2 unsuccessful CON checks to become exhausted, and only then does it stop you from dancing (for an hour?)

So it seems to me that it would be a serious effort and difficulty to successfully cast that many spells for free.
I really don't see why they didn't have a better check in place to stop this meta-magic strategy with simply one PrC level?

Good job. :thumbs up:

Let me know if I'm reading this wrong, I'm sure you've analyzed it more than I.

reapersaurus

First Post
maybe you could use a Persistant Righteous Wrath of the Faithful? (DotF)

You're an ally of yourself, right? So you'd gain the extra action?

Boy, you certainly make me not ashamed to add Armor of Haste for +3 bonus cost. ;)

Remove ads