• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charge and AoO's

mseds99

First Post
This is is a simple question that I could probably answer if I had my books, but I'm stuck here at work.

I remember hearing that a charge is stopped if the creatures is successfully tsruck with an AoO. IS this a complete figment of my imagination or is this in the rules? If it is in the rules, where can I find it?

Muchas Gracias.

Darklone

There are some feats which allow you to stop the movement of someone who provokes an AoO while charging or moving through your threatened area.

That's all I could think of.

Christian

Explorer
Darklone is correct; you can find (at least some of) said feats in Sword & Fist. And given that the feats would be completely meaningless otherwise, one must conclude that this is not an ordinary effect of such an AoO.

You may, perhaps, have been thinking of the AoO provoked by a character moving into another character's square at the beginning of a grapple ...

Artoomis

First Post
If you are looking for ways to stop someone charging, it's not too hard.

Certain feats might let you. Readying an action to step in their path will let you (unless they then opt to tumble through you).

You could use the AoO to trip or grapple, and that would do it as well.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Artoomis said:

Readying an action to step in their path will let you (unless they then opt to tumble through you).

Or the overrun option, but big things WILL mow you over no problem

Trip is the best choice for a low level opposition vs a PC charger since there is only gonna be so far most chargers have boosted thier touch based AC. A str or dex only opposed roll makes for an easy time tripping even very strong PCs.

Artoomis

First Post
frankthedm said:

Or the overrun option, but big things WILL mow you over no problem

Trip is the best choice for a low level opposition vs a PC charger since there is only gonna be so far most chargers have boosted thier touch based AC. A str or dex only opposed roll makes for an easy time tripping even very strong PCs.

Overrun uses Trip, so it might not work to blow by you. Besides that, if you can block the charger before he's moved 10', then he can't "overrun" you - he has to travel at least 10' first. Thus you could ready an action to intercept the charger when he's only moved 5'. Cool, eh? I suppose he could get his full attacks on you, though, since he only actually moved 5'. Ah well, you take the good with the bad.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads