• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charles Ryan on Adventures

Psion

Adventurer
Crothian said:
Well, if you are just looking at it like smack talk then they don't have to. But it still isn't hard to say Wizards does the best books.

It's not hard to say they don't.

Graf

Explorer
Psion said:
Heh. If they were "doing it better than anyone else", one wonders why they felt the need to bring in a bunch of freelancers for their next generation of books.
Heh... love the WotC hate.
Most well run companies are going concerns. They hire and fire, contract and so forth individuals that make up the company, and use their resources to maximize their return.

People bitched and whined and howled about doing the setting search while simultaneously releasing some talented people.
But they ignored all the complainers and Eberron's brilliant (financially as well as artistically).

You can hate them for being the biggest and best but I'm amused at the armchair quarterbacking. You really think that that "they're hiring people with proven skills to deal with a specific market need" is a witty retort?
[edit=added missing quote]

DaveStebbins

First Post
When I bother to cruise the Wizards boards I often see "we need more adventures" threads started and posted to by people with no idea that third-party published D&D compatible adventures even exist (I make sure to educate them). And these are people tuned in enough to be on the WotC boards (no other judgements will be made about them in this post ;) ).

That a sizeable portion of gamers aren't aware of, or just won't ever use, third-party published accessories makes the d20 market very small to begin with. Suggesting that lots of third-party publishers should be continually seeding the even smaller d20 adventure module market, is... optimistic... at best.

I've said it before, I believe that Wizards greatly over-estimated how accepted third-party material would be under the OGL and d20 STL. The continuous clamor for adventures from WotC has caused them to re-evaluate how much they have to invest in low-profit adventures to prime the sales of the profit-making supplements they'd rather be selling.

-Dave

Graf said:
Heh... love the WotC hate.
Most well run companies are going concerns. They hire and fire, contract and so forth individuals that make up the company, and use their resources to maximize their return.

People bitched and whined and howled about doing the setting search while simultaneously releasing some talented people.
But they ignored all the complainers and Eberron's brilliant (financially as well as artistically).

You can hate them for being the biggest and best but I'm amused at the armchair quarterbacking. You really think that that "they're hiring people with proven skills to deal with a specific market need" is a witty retort?
[edit=added missing quote]

It amuses me that you think Psion has WotC "hate".

Aus_Snow

First Post
Crothian said:
Right, so back to the beginning; what's wrong with saying it?
Right, so back to the beginning indeed.

"Well, apart from the fact that they might not actually believe that (i.e., it's quite possibly spin/propaganda), and the (debatable) fact that it's just plain wrong at least some of the time, how about plain ol' daft arrogance?"

That's it, basically.

MacMathan

Explorer
Despite thousands of posts trying to do it all the time there are very few objective means of measuring the "quality" of a product as people look for different things. Other than sales, which is probably not the best way to judge quality, there are no hard numbers to look at. That is why reading multiple reviews and leafing thrugh a product are important.

Overall it is one statement. You will rarely hear someone come out and say "Our company is thrid best." Too much is being made of a single sentence read online.

The point of the whole thing is we will be getting even more material for our campaigns from WoTC and I think that is good news. Thanks for the heads up Merric!

Oh and as a sidenote wasn't there a thread around here the other day about new EN readers being turned off by all of the negativity?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Arcane Runes Press said:
It amuses me that you think Psion has WotC "hate".
I don't either, btw. :)

All I've been doing is trying to get across the quite straightforward reasons why I believe one part of the original quote is both incorrect and inappropriate.

IronWolf

blank
MacMathan said:
Overall it is one statement. You will rarely hear someone come out and say "Our company is thrid best." Too much is being made of a single sentence read online.

The point of the whole thing is we will be getting even more material for our campaigns from WoTC and I think that is good news. Thanks for the heads up Merric!

Well said! I had been trying to think of a way to phrase what I had in my head about this. I think this does it.

Psion

Adventurer
Crothian said:
Right, so back to the beginning; what's wrong with saying it?

I think it displays a tremendous lack of respect for their industry peers, and looking at the bylines on upcoming books with names that have also appeared on books by the likes of Green Ronin, Sword & Sorcery, Mongoose, and FFG, their coworkers.

Remove ads