D&D 5E Chase scene: Ending turn on jump

Capn Charlie

Explorer
I would let them end their turn mid jump for the case of a chase scene. Especially if it is a cut that goes into commercial. "Well, it looks like the duke's boys have been at it again..."

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
No argument against interpreting it that way, but I like to ask, would you let an optimized jumper make a high jump at the end of his turn to avoid being attacked? Experience suggests most people say no, but because they think only a bad person would try it, not because it's breaks the rules :)

Satyrn

First Post
No argument against interpreting it that way, but I like to ask, would you let an optimized jumper make a high jump at the end of his turn to avoid being attacked? Experience suggests most people say no, but because they think only a bad person would try it, not because it's breaks the rules :)

I'd allow it. I mean, I'd be quite the hypocrite if I took shiny things away from the champion fighter when wizards get levitate.

y'know, since I've been lamenting the poor champion fighter.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

Sure. I rule that any such movement continues on a reasonable trajectory. People don't stop in midair just because.

It may require a acrobatics check to land well, though. And it *definitely* costs some of all of your movement in the second round, depending on remaining distance to clear.

The moment one turn ends and the next begins does not cause everything and everyone to stop and start again. If it did, that would be like having someone charging across a field during a combat stopping dead for a moment every six seconds and then continuing running. Time and movement are fluid and continuous and the combat turn/round is an abstraction, so whatever action takes longer than six seconds continues uninterrupted, unless an outside force can interrupt it.

Horwath

Legend

Sure, why not.

And attacking monster would move underneath and ready and action to attack him when gravity takes hold.

And as it is hard to dodge while free falling attack is made with advantage if not more bonuses.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
And attacking monster would move underneath and ready and action to attack him when gravity takes hold.
Seems perfectly legit.

And as it is hard to dodge while free falling attack is made with advantage if not more bonuses.
DK if I'd rule that way myself. Seems like the difficulty of dodging would be balanced by the difficulty of hitting a fast-moving target. And I don't think I'd want to apply the same logic to similar situations like falling creatures and dive-attacking fliers.

Tormyr

Hero
I think I must be the only person having trouble visualizing this. 10' gap and 50' from start is 60' of movement, which most medium creatures can do with the dash action. So the creature would end its turn on the other end of the gap. What am I missing?

Satyrn

First Post
I think I must be the only person having trouble visualizing this. 10' gap and 50' from start is 60' of movement, which most medium creatures can do with the dash action. So the creature would end its turn on the other end of the gap. What am I missing?

It's not specific example that matters so picture the 10' gap 55' from the start. Now what do you do?

S'mon

Legend
IMC if you end your turn in the air, if you can't fly then you fall. I don't want it being used as a poor man's levitate. I'm not keen on over generous approaches to Jump.

Remove ads