D&D 5E Chase scene: Ending turn on jump

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
In the situation as described in the OP, any characters with a STR of at least 10 and a speed of at least 30 feet would have enough movement to clear the gap and land on the very edge of the opposite side.

If the gap was any farther away, or if a character's speed was less than 30 feet, they could end their turns mid-jump, but they would still need the minimum STR to make the jump.

Oofta

Legend
No. You can't end your turn in midair. You can jump as far as your movement will allow. If you want to jump further than that, you can take the Dash action.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Not that I'm picking on you in particular - a couple of other people would also rule this way - but why? Is there a rule I'm missing?

Page 70 basic rules

On your turn, you can move a distance up to your
speed.
However you’re moving, you deduct the distance of
each part of your move from your speed until it is used up
or until you are done moving.​

It never states that you stop moving at the end of your turn. Rounds and turns are just a framework we use because we can't resolve all activity simultaneously.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
The basis for my claim that intention was for your jump distance to be capped by your current turn's movement is from twitter:
Plaguescarred: Can you jump farther than your movement when using magic i.e spell Jump & boots of striding and springing?
Mike Mearls: i'd rule yes - design intent is to make you jump super far
Jeremy Crawford: To be clear, things like the jump spell don't increase speed. You can jump crazy far, but your speed caps it.
Plaguescarred: Are you saying you can't jump farther than your speed even with Jump spell or Boots of Striding and Springing?
Jeremy Crawford: Every foot jumped costs movement, so you can jump farther than your current speed if you take the Dash action.
Crawford is the sage, so his answers "count." And IMO this exchange has him saying you can't end your turn in midair.

But (a) maybe you don't read it that way and (b) even Mearls would play it differently, so if you don't like it don't play it that way. :)

Oofta

Legend
The basis for my claim that intention was for your jump distance to be capped by your current turn's movement is from twitter:

Crawford is the sage, so his answers "count." And IMO this exchange has him saying you can't end your turn in midair.

But (a) maybe you don't read it that way and (b) even Mearls would play it differently, so if you don't like it don't play it that way. :)

Well, there's two things.

First, I agree that you can't jump further than your movement ... in a single turn. Whether Crawford is saying that or not isn't 100% clear. Or maybe I'm biased. :)

Second, I don't really pay much attention to tweets or answers that they haven't really taken the time to think through. If it shows up in Sage Advice, that's another story. Although I reserve the right to ignore that too. Just because that's the way I roll.

MiraMels

Explorer
Not that I'm picking on you in particular - a couple of other people would also rule this way - but why? Is there a rule I'm missing?

Page 70 basic rules

On your turn, you can move a distance up to your
speed.
However you’re moving, you deduct the distance of
each part of your move from your speed until it is used up
or until you are done moving.​

It never states that you stop moving at the end of your turn. Rounds and turns are just a framework we use because we can't resolve all activity simultaneously.

No problem, it doesn't feel like you are picking on me, and considering how to answer caused me to consider how to clarify my ruling. Thank you.

You want to jump a 45 foot gap. You have a maximum jump distance of 45 feet, and a movement speed of 30 feet. The way I see it, If you don't take the dash action, then you aren't actually moving fast enough at the end of your turn for your momentum to carry you through the rest of the jump. Like, disregard the rules framework for a moment, in the narrative reality the encounter is taking place in, you need to lead up to that 45 foot leap at a sprint, not a jog, jump spell or no jump spell.

An increase in jump distance isn't an increase in movement speed, it's a upper limit to how much of your movement speed you can use to travel in a particular mode. Just because you can jump 45 feet doesn't mean you will jump that far every time you jump. It's an upper limit.

And, anyway, it just comes off as a cheesy way of gaining an extra action. If you are jumping a 45 foot canyon and can end your turn in midair, you can take an action on the near side and an action on the far side. If you have to dash on the near side to make that jump in one turn, you only get an action on the far side.

Satyrn

First Post
First, I agree that you can't jump further than your movement ... in a single turn. Whether Crawford is saying that or not isn't 100% clear. Or maybe I'm biased. :)

It's not completely clear to me, either. And since I can read it as saying "jumping doesn't increase your speed," period, I don't believe it answers the question of this thread at all.

Satyrn

First Post
No problem, it doesn't feel like you are picking on me, and considering how to answer caused me to consider how to clarify my ruling. Thank you.

You want to jump a 45 foot gap. You have a maximum jump distance of 45 feet, and a movement speed of 30 feet. The way I see it, If you don't take the dash action, then you aren't actually moving fast enough at the end of your turn for your momentum to carry you through the rest of the jump. Like, disregard the rules framework for a moment, in the narrative reality the encounter is taking place in, you need to lead up to that 45 foot leap at a sprint, not a jog, jump spell or no jump spell.

An increase in jump distance isn't an increase in movement speed, it's a upper limit to how much of your movement speed you can use to travel in a particular mode. Just because you can jump 45 feet doesn't mean you will jump that far every time you jump. It's an upper limit.

And, anyway, it just comes off as a cheesy way of gaining an extra action. If you are jumping a 45 foot canyon and can end your turn in midair, you can take an action on the near side and an action on the far side. If you have to dash on the near side to make that jump in one turn, you only get an action on the far side.

A nice explanation.

It doesn't sway me, but I can grok it.

Oofta

Legend

I don't disagree with anything you're saying except the extra action.

If the canyon has a bridge and I'm walking across the bridge, I could take actions on either side of the bridge. Just replace "walking on bridge" with "jumping over the canyon". You still only have X amount of movement per turn, IMHO if you're in midair at the end of turn 1 you continue your movement on turn 2.

When this issue came up in our home game, we discussed it a little bit and decided it was simply more cinematic and fun to let people end their turn mid air. Of course that also means they're making themselves a target. We also decided that in most cases if you want to do an attack while jumping the DM may ask for an athletics check. You also may need to make an athletics check if hit by an attack mid air, and there are certain spells that can really mess up your day.

MiraMels

Explorer
I don't disagree with anything you're saying except the extra action.

If the canyon has a bridge and I'm walking across the bridge, I could take actions on either side of the bridge. Just replace "walking on bridge" with "jumping over the canyon". You still only have X amount of movement per turn, IMHO if you're in midair at the end of turn 1 you continue your movement on turn 2.

I get you. If you wanted to spend two rounds crossing a bridge, you could have an action on one side and an action on the other, if you wanted to cross the bridge in one turn, you'd have to spend one round dashing.

But, you can walk across a bridge as slow as you like, and it won't drop you in the drink.

Remove ads