• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Check Out The Planescape Character Options

New backgrounds and feats in upcoming book!

gate-warden.jpg

WotC has unveiled some of the character options to be found in the upcoming Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse setting in a D&D Beyond article and a video.

The player options include two backgrounds and a handful of feats. The backgrounds are the Gate Warden and the Planer Philosopher, and the feats include Scion of the Outer planes, which gives you a damage resistance and a cantrip based on the plane you have a connect with. For example, a chaotic Outer Place give you resistance to poison and access to the minor illusion cantrip, which the Outlands give you resistance to psychic damage and the mage hand cantrip. Also included are a couple of new spells and some magic items.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If Harry Potter and Pathfinder used the name without fuss, so can WotC. Heck, Tasha calls herself a witch all throughout Cauldron of Everything. I don't think cultural sensitivity is an issue here.
And she is a Wizard. That's the thing: "witch" as a concept is already super easy to do in 2014 with existing Backgrounds and Classes, and in 2024 that will be even easier with Level 1 Feats (a Wizard or Warlock with Magic Initiate to get some Druid Spells, as one example).

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There are 10 different ideas of what a ranger is and that hasn't stopped WotC! Pick a direction and RUN!
They have spent a lot.of effort trying to.perfect Rabger: and again, they wouldn't make the Ranger again today if it was not legacy, and tried to make it a Subclass of Fighter in Next.

Scribe

Legend
There are 10 different ideas of what a ranger is and that hasn't stopped WotC! Pick a direction and RUN!

Legacy option. I dont think Wizards would include one if D&D was rebuilt today and didnt need to have a lineal connection to what came before.

I think this is why we dont see Warlord, Psion, Witch, or any number of options in 5e. Anything they dont feel they had to include, or they could argue is being provided by a subclass, they are doing so.

Its the KISS principle taken to some weird and arbitrary extreme, and in many ways its shackling 5e.

Which is why having a choice between "full caster, lightly themed" and "weird caster with magical abilities" is in fact a good split. I can play an aberrant sorcerer and get psionic ribbons added to my spells or go warlock and get all sorts of eldritch abilities. I guarantee that if you murdered the sorcerer, the wizard would get draconic, wild, lunar, shadow and psionic subclasses faster than you could blink.
I'm just salty because I suspect warlock would have already got an actually interesting draconic subclass if sorcerer wasn't hogging the design space while doing nothing interesting with it.

Yes, if even that many.
  • Merge cleric with wizard as they're both casters. Just name it wizard.
  • Fighter and rogue just martials. Put them under a single 'fighting man' class.
  • Martials are clearly unpopular and everyone complains about them endlessly. Decide to focus where the player satisfaction is.
  • Leave wizard as the only class.

Well, they are called Wizards of the Coast right?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads