• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chicago Gameday XVIII: the aftermath!

buzz

Adventurer
thalmin said:
The tabel situation? We want to see the room and all the tables being realisticly used. Room for walk-ins is good, but games that don't get the sign-ups might be due to something other than lack of participants. Sometimes there just isn't enough interest in the game. We need to address when it's time to pull a game from the schedule, and maybe replace it with something else, or maybe just cut back a table.
Yep. I agree with Mark that starting with six an expanding as needed is the way to go. I mean, when XVII filled up fast, it filled up FAST. Like, two days. That would leave ample time to add on events and make sure people are aware of their existence.

buzz

Adventurer
HinterWelt said:
I will most likely run a Squirrel Attack! game next GD. So far, lots of votes for Shaolin Squirrels and some interest in Squirrels Ahoy. I might be able to run both in one slot if that is o.k. with Buzz. Most of the times the convention runs of SS and SA take about 2-3 hours a piece.
Sure! Just let the players know they're in for 4-5 hours of squirrel hi-jinx. :cool:

As always, it was a great pleasure gaming with all of you folks.

Buzz, thanks for organizing.

Curt, thanks for always opening your store to us--you got more money out of me this time than you have in like the past three visits to the store, so I hope you're happy. :p

Floyd and my fellow dreamers, thanks for a great C&C game. I hope I dream in-character more often. I raise my glass or orcish vodka to you fine folks.

All of my players (I'm honestly not that sure of which usernames went with which faces that actually showed up), thanks for putting up with a bit of a slow start, and my spotty rules knowledge. I hope the investigation wasn't too terribly boring, but I had a blast, and you guys did quite honestly, solve most parts of the case. That kid might never be found though. So good job, tearing apart a family ;)

And to the breakfast crowd, many of whom tried to pay homage to the bacon steak by ordering bacon with the meals... :D

Can't wait for next time folks. But I'll tell you right now I'm not GMing in the middle of student teaching. ;)

FCWesel

First Post
thalmin said:
I think that trying to shorten the break will make it difficult for people to get their food, eat, and get to their afternoon slot on time, especially the GMs who need a bit of time to set up as well. As far as the store is concerned, the timing was fine; sales at the store yesterday were good.

I don't think anyone wants to shorten the lunch break any. I think an hour is a good amount of time.

Adareth

First Post
"Meeeemorieeeeez"!

Hi All!

I'll join in with my kudos to a great gameday! Thanks to Buzz and Curt for organizing and hosting a grand time! :cool:

Dobe and I had fun hangin' at breakfast (hadn't seen a pancake sandwich in awhile), demon-huntin' and actin' like ruthless mercenaries (well. . . ALMOST ruthless. . .got to get better for next time ;) )

Tofu_Master said:
Okay, Ninjacat next time round maybe a sandwhich backup since Mary Jane & her Lifesavers failed their mission! I agree, I'm sure there is a "Best Laid Plans..." joke to be had, but we'll leave it alone. 'till next time...

Ninjacat--no worries :D Stuff like that happens to everyone. I think we were just more concerned that you were OK. But it sounds like lunch revitalized you and saved the day! Sorry I didn't have a cheez-whiz back up for Mary Jane and her crew. . . as far as I can tell, the cans don't exist anymore and I figured from the pre-GD posts that if I showed up with a jar of it, SOMEONE (Trevalon Moonleirion. . . ahem!) would have sucker-punched me.

Regardless. . . I had fun playing the "voodo-mama" and loved Arlene's chains :eek: !! Great to meet you NinjaCat, Tofu Master and gperez1234 and looking forward to many fun games to come. BTW, Tofu Master, you DEFINITELY have to release your "inner-biker chick" more often ;) Can't wait to game more with ya.

Thanks to rvalle, petenik, Jade Fire and gperez1234 for a "yee-haw" fun time in the Nebuleon game and to Hinterwelt for letting us run amok and chide us for not being as cold-hearted and brutal as we should have been ;) You really shouldn't have given me the code "helping others". . . that was a nuisance :p

HinterWelt said:
Great Game day! Thank you Curt for hosting it and Buzz for organizing. I want to thank the players of my Nebuleon game who made it a lot of fun for me to run. You guys actually got my movie quotes! I feel for Wendy as the highest rolling player at the table despite Mikes best efforts not to jinx her dice. ;) And we all learned an important lesson, standing in the door is the safest place.

Well. . . what can I say Hinterwelt? I tried to blame it on my purple and green d10s (and Dobe (Mike) but he just laughed at me). . . but alas, I think the little high-rolling microcosm that surrounds me in a Hinterwelt game is too much for me to overcome. :( I am destined to roll high. . . no bout a doubt it, I'm doomed. Any chance you'll consider flipping your game mechanic Hinterwelt? . . . No? Well, it was worth a try! (BTW--I nuked my purple and green d10s as soon as I got home last night :mad: Well. . . I actually sacrificed them to the goddess of statistical anomalies, but we won't talk about how she responded :\ )

And about the movie quotes. . . I have to admit that "Aliens" is one of my all-time favorite movies for sci-fi brain candy so there was no way I couldn't enjoy Nebuleon! Just don't give me that last roll of the game piloting the ship, OK? Deal?

Bring on the Shaolin Squirrels grasshopper!

Thanks again all and well. . . <Sigh>. . . guess I gotta wait until the spring for the next GD!

William Ronald

Explorer
Thanks to Curt and everyone at Games Plus for being gracious hosts, and Buzz for organizing the game day.

Mark, thanks for running the games and thanks to all of our GMS for stepping up.

I think that we need to keep talking about how to improve the Gameday. I do think that starting with a base of six tables per slot is a good idea.

One thing that I have noticed is that it seems that D&D and D20 events seem to fill up most quickly and be the most in demand.

buzz

Adventurer
William Ronald said:
One thing that I have noticed is that it seems that D&D and D20 events seem to fill up most quickly and be the most in demand.
True, though there are sometimes exceptions. I also wouldn't want to discourage any volunteer GMs from running RPGs that are not d20-based. Almost 100% of my regular gaming is D&D, so I look forward to Gamedays to try different games.

We also seem to be drawing a decent contingent of indie RPG fans, which I heartily encourage. :D

Of course, as Mark said, I'm betting that the first couple of post-4e Gamedays are going to be loaded with D&D events.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads