chicken fried steak and other local favorite foods

Pbartender

First Post
Are you questioning my scandinavian heritage? At the next 'thing, I'll gather up my boys we'll go viking on ohio. Shoudn't take more than an hour to chop down your state. :)

You go right ahead viking on Ohio all you like. My neighbors would likely thank you. :p

But yes, I am questioning your Scandinavian heritage. After all, I grew up in the token German family in pretty little Red Wing, Minnesota. I know the smell of lutefisk, I've eaten my fill of hotdish, and for the first twenty years of my life the only three spices I'd ever tasted were salt, pepper and ketchup. So I can say with all credibility...

If you've never eaten yourself ill off of deep fried cheese curds at the Minnesota State Fair, you can't honestly call yourself a proper Minnesotan.

So there, oh yah dere hey!

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I grew up in Round Rock, TX, just outside of Austin. There's a bakery that makes "Round Rockers", +5 Yellow Donuts of Deliciousness. They show up on food shows every now and then. They're made from bright yellow dough and are oval in shape. When my old workplace for some reason fell to the Krispy Kreme infection, I was sorely displeased.

Here in west TX (where my family's actually from), it's not the least bit cosmopolitan, but I'm honor bound to mention BBQ, but done with hardly any sauce, just straight up meaty tastiness. (Oh, and back in central TX there's Elgin hotguts: awesome grilling suasages!) Also, mustard potato salad. And UNsweetened ice tea. All as God intended. Mexican food, too, of course; my favorite out here is asado: basically chunks of pork shoulder slow simmered in red chili sauce; really simple dish, really simple flavor, good stuff.

There's lots of other people's favorites I've tried and loved the world over. Haven't met many foods I didn't like. (Except mayo. Why is the universe so awash in mayo?)

ssampier

First Post
Mmmm Chicago style pizza. I have only had the knock-off stuff, but it leaves me stuffed and satisfied.

*drolls* Buffalo wings. I prefer the ranch dressing, rather than blue cheese.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmm...
Maple Syrup. The real stuff. It actually comes from trees! More of a North East thing, not just New York but there are people who swear by NY Maple vs Vermont Maple. I pity all you people who have to live with that fake Aunt Jemima-high fructose corn syrup-factory made syrup trash.

I forgot maple syrup! Forget NY or VT, it's all about Quebec and Canada when it comes to maple syrup. I mean, look at the flag for crying out loud! Maple ice cream, maple candy, spring-time "sugar shack" with maple syrup on beans, ham, anything you can imagine. Even the Cookie Monster stuffed animals have maple cookies instead of chocolate chip in Canada (it's true, my wife has one).

When my old workplace for some reason fell to the Krispy Kreme infection, I was sorely displeased.

That's funny, the town where I grew up is the home of Krispy Kreme. I can't eat many of their regular doughnuts, but it's something else to get them fresh off the conveyor belt. And watching the machine at locations where you can is, umm, educational.

Here in west TX (where my family's actually from), it's not the least bit cosmopolitan, but I'm honor bound to mention BBQ, but done with hardly any sauce, just straight up meaty tastiness. (Oh, and back in central TX there's Elgin hotguts: awesome grilling suasages!) Also, mustard potato salad. And UNsweetened ice tea. All as God intended.

I agree with you about the mayo, but I am honor-bound to say that NC-style BBQ is better than any of that Texas junk. ;) Even though I don't eat meat anymore. :p But unsweetened iced tea you can get anywhere. We're looking for local specialties! (Plus: unsweetened? That's just wrong! :p)

Orius

Legend
When I moved to Texas, I hadn't heard of Chicken Fried Steak with white gravy. That stuff freaks me out. I have no doubt it's hand made and pumped out hourly by cheap illegal labor. :)

Chicken fried steak has got to be a crime against nature. I don't know how anyone can do that to a cow. I like chicken deep fried, but not beef, it just doesn't taste right. Beef is best cooked with fire.

Woas

First Post
I think that's all Canada exports is maple syrup right? ;)
Have you ever tried maple syrup over rice? It's like eating hundreds of tiny pancakes. Aww man, love the stuff. I use it as a general sweetener in my coffee, over cereal in the morning...

I forgot maple syrup! Forget NY or VT, it's all about Quebec and Canada when it comes to maple syrup. I mean, look at the flag for crying out loud! Maple ice cream, maple candy, spring-time "sugar shack" with maple syrup on beans, ham, anything you can imagine. Even the Cookie Monster stuffed animals have maple cookies instead of chocolate chip in Canada (it's true, my wife has one).

Pbartender

First Post
I think that's all Canada exports is maple syrup right? ;)
Have you ever tried maple syrup over rice? It's like eating hundreds of tiny pancakes. Aww man, love the stuff. I use it as a general sweetener in my coffee, over cereal in the morning...

To mix two different regional foods... I like maple syrup on grits.

Janx

Hero
You go right ahead viking on Ohio all you like. My neighbors would likely thank you. :p

But yes, I am questioning your Scandinavian heritage. After all, I grew up in the token German family in pretty little Red Wing, Minnesota. I know the smell of lutefisk, I've eaten my fill of hotdish, and for the first twenty years of my life the only three spices I'd ever tasted were salt, pepper and ketchup. So I can say with all credibility...

If you've never eaten yourself ill off of deep fried cheese curds at the Minnesota State Fair, you can't honestly call yourself a proper Minnesotan.

So there, oh yah dere hey!

I've never been to a state fair. Besides, isn't that the Wisconsin Embasy booth at the fair you're talking about. Cheese was never a big deal in northern MN where i grew up.

Janx

Hero
I grew up in Round Rock, TX, just outside of Austin. There's a bakery that makes "Round Rockers", +5 Yellow Donuts of Deliciousness. They show up on food shows every now and then. They're made from bright yellow dough and are oval in shape. When my old workplace for some reason fell to the Krispy Kreme infection, I was sorely displeased.

Here in west TX (where my family's actually from), it's not the least bit cosmopolitan, but I'm honor bound to mention BBQ, but done with hardly any sauce, just straight up meaty tastiness. (Oh, and back in central TX there's Elgin hotguts: awesome grilling suasages!) Also, mustard potato salad. And UNsweetened ice tea. All as God intended. Mexican food, too, of course; my favorite out here is asado: basically chunks of pork shoulder slow simmered in red chili sauce; really simple dish, really simple flavor, good stuff.

There's lots of other people's favorites I've tried and loved the world over. Haven't met many foods I didn't like. (Except mayo. Why is the universe so awash in mayo?)

when I got here, it was all about Shipley's donuts. They called the "normal" kind cake donuts. Everybody had to have those potato flour things from Shipleys. Heck if you brought in donuts that weren't shipley's, there'd be donut snobs who'd turn them down.

Unsweetend tea is the standard down here. Personally, I prefer pop, or coke as most folks call it. Everyone claims that they call everything coke down here, but in reality, most folks order their drinks by name, as in "I'll have a Dr. Pepper"

Here in houston, they seem to like BBQ sauce. And so do I. BBQ Sauce has replaced ketchup as my standard condiment.

ANd real meat gets cooked over fire. I prefer charcoal, but I'll do gas if I'm short on time. I've never done slow cooked brisket (don't have the rig for that), but my steaks are quite popular. I have been invited to dinner on the premise that I would grill the meat.

Pbartender

First Post
Besides, isn't that the Wisconsin Embasy booth at the fair you're talking about.

Are you kidding? Even Garrison Keillor talks about cheese curds at the Minnesota State Fair: "I have gone to the State Fair and fed my child her allotment of corn dogs and deep-fried cheese curds..."

It's a staple food there alongside corn dogs and turkey drumsticks.

Cheese was never a big deal in northern MN where i grew up.

Ah, now I see the problem... You were too close to Canada for your own good.

;)

Remove ads