The Best Meal You Ever Had .... The Great Meal Discussion

Janx

Hero
Y’all fellow meat lovers need to find and dine in a Brazillian churrascaria at some point. As much as I love a good prime rib or ribeye steak at a top steakhouse, I consider a churrascaria to be an equally epicurean delight for carnivores.

For those who don’t know, the typical setup- at least in the American versions- is an all-you-can-eat upscale salad & soup bar in the middle of the restaurant, and a wandering squadron of waiters who deliver meat on skewers to be sliced off onto your plate...also as much as you can cram down your gullet. They’ll keep bringing you meat and slicing it off with their sharp, machete-sized knives as long as you keep signaling them so to do. Each restaurant is a little different, but a typical one will have between 1-2 dozen different meats, covering various presentations of poultry, beef, pork and lamb, and sometime some more exotic things.

My buds and I have tried a bunch of them around Dallas/Ft. Worth, and we don’t really have favorites. Each has something ridiculously good, so when we decide to hit one, we pick on the basis of what particular dish we want…or simply which one is most convenient, because damn if they aren’t all good.
I've been to one, but I found it to be too much food, in this weird gluttony encouraging way to make it worth the money, etc.

It's not for me.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
d85.gif

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've been to one, but I found it to be too much food, in this weird gluttony encouraging way to make it worth the money, etc.

It's not for me.
I used to pig out at those places- as well as at other buffets- in part because of such a “beat the house” mindset.

But I don’t think like that anymore. I realized that I didn’t think like that in regular restaurants*…and that my body was punishing me more often when I gorged than when I was younger.

Now I go and have a good time and leave pleasantly stuffed but still mobile. My satisfaction comes from having a good meal (ideally with good company)- regardless of whether it was $5/person, $50/person or more.

* because you usually can’t, obviously.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I used to pig out at those places- as well as at other buffets- in part because of such a “beat the house” mindset.

But I don’t think like that anymore. I realized that I didn’t think like that in regular restaurants*…and that my body was punishing me more often when I gorged than when I was younger.

Now I go and have a good time and leave pleasantly stuffed but still mobile. My satisfaction comes from having a good meal (ideally with good company)- regardless of whether it was $5/person, $50/person or more.

* because you usually can’t, obviously.
I've had really good meals in terrible environments. The above So.Am steak buffet with pushy staff and turnstile trough is a real turn off to the dining experience for me. A swanky steak house recently opened and it has a lot going for it. Though, they have these gross wallpapers of people going to the bathroom just outside the restrooms. They also have this very large very beautiful painting of a bull hanging on the wall. At the very top of the painting there is text that says, "me so horny". I dont know if this is supposed to be edgey or what? There was a really nice Italian place opened by an actual Italian ex-pat. He could only afford a strip mall location. It would be fine if I couldnt see the damn Golden Arches of McD's burning through my table window...

These things remind me of Applebees and TGIF when they hung a bunch of brick-a-brak garbage on the wall to make it seem quaint.

I know, I know, it should be all about the food, but when I'm out paying a premium, I really want to enjoy myself. It never ceases to amaze me what some folks think is comfortable, hip, or fancy.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I had the best eggplant parmigiana in the white plains mall food court, gratis too, cause I was picking up a friend who worked there; it has a large Italian pop.

Same as best Tex-Mex steak and potato burrito at a drive thru, and best BBQ at dirt floor corrugated tin shack in west Texas.

Janx

Hero
On the other hand, the best advice I heard for places not to eat is never eat where there's naked people because they know you're not looking at your food.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

MGibster

Legend
One of the best meals I ever had was at III Forks in Dallas, Texas. Everything about that meal was perfect from the she-crab soup I started with to the medium-rare steak with asparagus and mashed potatoes on the side. The waitstaff were truly superb, never hovering and always present without making their presence known.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
One of the best meals I ever had was at III Forks in Dallas, Texas. Everything about that meal was perfect from the she-crab soup I started with to the medium-rare steak with asparagus and mashed potatoes on the side. The waitstaff were truly superb, never hovering and always present without making their presence known.
Sounds so good...minus the asparagus...

Remove ads