Children of Men

Simplicity

Explorer
Crothian said:
What's the movie about? The trailers I've seen look like mad max.

Future dystopia caused by the sudden infertility of mankind. At the beginning of the movie, the youngest person on earth dies at the age of 18 years, setting off even more violence in a mostly destroyed world.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
No kids, sounds like a freakin Utopia.

Didn't they do this movie already, The Handmaid's Tale.

Also Fortress with Christopher Lambert had the same idea about fertility. Thats more Sci Fi though.

Crothian

First Post
And I think Outer Limits has had a few shows that dealt with this. So, not a completely orginal idea but that doesn't alone make it bad.

Heathansson

First Post
This has got to be about the best movie I've seen in a long time.
It had a moral lesson, but it didn't beat you over the head with it. It wasn't a morality play.
And it didn't need a "gotcha" moment; it's genius worked on subtler levels than "I say we nukem from orbit."

jim pinto

First Post
I saw it a second time, in a "lower quality" theatre... and people were laughing at inappropriate moments... I think they missed the point.

Well.

Whatever makes you laugh, I guess.

I don't think the movie is preachy at all, but almost subliminal, the way the camera moves. Obviously, my love of End of the World stories trumps a lot of my opinion about this film, but I don't remember the last time I was THIS transfixed by a film... maybe City of God...

Anyway, Travis Heermann has a great review of it on his blog... really says more about it then I ever could... curse his writing talent.

http://www.travisheermann.com/blog/?m=200701

:)

Arnwyn

First Post
Just saw it - great, great, great movie. One of the best movies I've seen in the past 12 months, if not a lot longer.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. The attention to detail was astonishing, and the very long single-takes were just amazing. I don't gush very often (I'm more of a hater ;)), but I really did like this movie.

Starman

Adventurer
I, too, very much enjoyed this movie. Beautifully shot. Masterfully acted. Wonderful all around.

[sblock]The scene where Theo and Kee with her baby walk through the building and then through the soldiers was incredible. My whole body was tingling.[/sblock]

Remove ads