Children of the Gods: The Princess and the Dragon (IC)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
One raised eyebrow is the only sign that Mort is surprised by the appearance of Leaf. "You're one of the fey people, if I'm not mistaken. It's an honor to meet you, Leaf; my name is Mortimer and I am the Lord of Aavenloche and its surrounding lands. Welcome to the festival, although it surprises me that you do not seem to know of the ritual that has kept our lands safe for generations. It is a simple matter of appeasing the dragon." Mort intentionally keeps his personal opinion from his tone and expression; first he wants to know what the pixie thinks about it.

"indeed, the pleasure is mine Lord Mortimer" Leaf says, happy that the human didn't react negatively at the sight of a fairy. "I am surprised that the townsfolk haven't found a hero or heroes to destroy the evil creature that has made such a horrible pact. It seems such a pity to send young souls to such an evil creature". He adds, somewhat naively.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Heroes are all well and good, but my primary concern is the safety of the people," Mort replies. "And without being certain that the threat can be eliminated, I would rather pay this price to keep the rest of Aavenloche safe."

A calculating look appears on Mort's face as he looks at the pixie. "I sympathize with the sentiment, however. Perhaps you, with your magical invisibility, could discover if there are more people here today who feel the same about the dragon, and are willing to, shall we say, break tradition?"

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
A calculating look appears on Mort's face as he looks at the pixie. "I sympathize with the sentiment, however. Perhaps you, with your magical invisibility, could discover if there are more people here today who feel the same about the dragon, and are willing to, shall we say, break tradition?"

"I accept your noble request and my ears are at your service." Leaf bows to Mort, and promptly becomes invisible. He'll fly over the crowd as it gather for the speech, and listen to conversations and get closer to anything that grabs his attention.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
OOC: Despite the announcement of a hiatus in my Kiraya's Konundrum thread, I seem to be doing ok so far so I'm going to get a post in tonight. :D

Leaf notes the tall, half-orc girl among the potential princesses as her question is answered in a slightly exaggerated whisper by one of the other girls, "We're just a small village. Every one of us has to be here every year until we're either chosen or we're too old. Then we can finally marry or choose a vocation or leave the village."

One of other girls speaks up, "Oh, that's another thing I imagine no one's told you. No girl may leave the village until she's too old for the dragon. The last one who tried was arrested by Lord Samuel himself. Chased her down on his horse and dragged her back to the village, put her in chains, and left her in the village square for three days with no food or water. She stood on this stage with the rest of us the next year, you can be sure of that."

The older tribesman nods at Darius' words, "Perhaps this one will be braver than his father as well and stand up to that dragon. If that comes to pass, I would gladly send one of our warriors to aid in the task." He looks to Darius, his eyes conveying his hopes that Darius would be that warrior.

Sebastian, looking about nervously, approaches Lord Mort, "My Lord. We have only fifteen minutes left until the ceremony begins and two of the girls are miss...late...well...they're not here...yet."

Dariusknight

First Post
Darius rubs his chin and then says to his elder, "Let's find out, shall we? It's time SOMEONE stood up to the dragon..." His eyes hardened, "If the lord won't do so... I will, and alone if necessary, how long will it be before these people start demanding our daughters be put up on the stage for their so-called 'Choosing'?

Darius steps forwards, pushing the crowds out of the way and says, "Lord Mort... I have a question, these girls on the stage have done nothing wrong save by being born female. They have no choice but to stand here and hope not to be chosen to be a meal for the dragon. Are you prepared to end this barbaric tradition and do something about the dragon? If you are, I am willing to lend my sword and my arm. If not..." Here he turns and looks at the rest of the crowd and says, "I will go alone, this... tradition, has gone on for far too long, and I will not stand by any longer. The time has come for the dragon to breathe it's last, is there any true warriors here who have the balls to do what is right?"

He turns to Mort and says to him, "What say you, oh lord of Aavenloche? Are you truly a man, or are you your father's son, cowardly, hiding behind tradition and fear of the dragon to do what should have been done years ago. I await your response."

With that, Darius turns and shoves his way back through the crowd to his elder and says, "Well, we'll see what happens now, either way, I'm going... and you won't stop me. I've craved a chance to prove myself to the Gods, especially my father, and now is my time to do so."

JustinCase

Before Mort can reply to his majordomo, the plainsfolk warrior addresses him on the matter of slaying the dragon. The Lord of Aavenloche looks at the boy, seemingly amused but for a dark frown when his father is insulted. Letting Darius finish, Mort lets his frown relax.

"Dear Leaf, I hope you heard that," Mort whispers before turning to the crowd before him and Darius in particular. "Brave warrior, I admire your courage and appreciate your forwardness. For generations the Dragon has held our people in the iron grip of fear, the young women most of all. It is an arrangement that is desired by none, but is a way to ensure the continued safety of our community. I am certain that I speak on behalf of everybody here when I say that we would be better off without this looming evil and would be honored and grateful if you were the one responsible for slaying it. However," and with this Mort steps forward to Darius and lowers his voice, "You will not be the first to attempt this nigh-impossible feat. Over the course of many generations, countless warriors have tried to kill the Dragon and only ended up a snack."

Raising his voice again so that everybody can hear, Mort continues, "A champion has announced himself; a Dragonslayer. But he cannot do this alone and I cannot risk the safety of Aavenloche by letting him provoke the monster into retaliation, perhaps destroying our town out of spite. So anyone who wants to join this cause and is ready to lay down his life for the good people of Aavenloche and its surrounding lands, is hereby requested to present themselves to me before the end of the ceremonial crowning of the Princess."

One last look at Darius and Mort says plainly, "Gather enough allies and I'll grant your wish." The Lord turns around and walks towards the stage, a rare smile on his lips.

Skarsgard

Explorer
Jhadzia

Looking at the plainsman with respect Jhadzia moves to the front of the stage.
"I will go with you, this dragon has feasted freely long enough." she turns to the Lord.
"My Lord, I know not how you choose your sacrifice to the dragon but this year I ask you choose me." her hand sweeps the other girls, "Free these other girls of the fear and burden of keeping you safe. I will go, but I will be no easy meal for the wyrm."

She laughs, "By Hextor's grace and might we will end this once and for all!"

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
"Dear Leaf, I hope you heard that,"

Mort hears a whisper coming from behind him ''indeed I have; and this will simplify my task!''

Leaf goes above and behind Jhadzia, and says ''Brave-one, I am Leaf of the fey folk. Know that you can count on my help. I will show myself to you when there are no townspeople around''. Leaf proceeds to say the same thing to Darius, and will continue looking for other volunteers.

JustinCase

Mort looks at Jhadzia, a curious expression on his face, and slowly nods. Without speaking he then continues on his way to the stage.

This is turning out to be a day full of surprises, Mort thinks to himself. A princess who follows Hextor and yet is willing to sacrifice herself? But then again, she does look like a capable fighter... And what did that Darius lad say, something about his father being one of the gods? If that is true, Mort has just met another one like him; a half-god!

"Never mind the missing girls," the Lord of Aavenloche says to Sebastian. "One has just volunteered, and warriors are preparing to accompany her and attempt to slay the Dragon. I should make some changes to my speech."

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Sebastian is beside himself, "My Lord! This is...this is preposterous! The dragon will know! How do you propose to even get these foolish warriors to the dragon without being attacked from above with no chance to defend themselves?"

One of the missing girls, an elf, pushes through the crowd, holding a dagger to the throat of the other missing girl, her other arm wrapped around the girl's neck as she drags her forward, pushing her to the ground in front of Lord Mort, "This is the dragon's spy. I caught her standing over her own murdered body, on the coastline of the lake. I can only assume she is a shapeshifter of some sort."

She stands proudly, "Now the dragon will not know of your plan. My name is Allisandra, ranger and daughter of Ehlonna, and I would join with you."

Remove ads