• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Choosing Metamagic feats for increasing damage

gfunk

First Post
My Sor will soon hit level 15 and I'll pick up two feats, one for the level and one for my PrC.

Right now, my only metamagic feat is Empower Spell. For raw damage, I was wondering which feat(s) would work optimally.

Personally, I think that Maximize is not worth the +3 level modifier. I was thinking perhaps taking Energy Substitution (Acid or Sonic) and Energy Admixture (Acid or Sonic).

Any feats from Wizards material (except Dragon) is fine. Suggestions?

Lord Ben

First Post
Personally I like quicken spell if your DM lets them count as a free-action. Not making metamagiced sorceror spells into full-round action is a popular house rule. Otherwise maybe quicken and spell preperation from T&B. Spell preperation allows you to prepare spells with metamagic to be used like regular spells. Having a quickened haste (7th level) is really nice, and other spells that are quickened is nice too. Imagine firing off three fireballs a round! Nice... For a Sorceror you have a ton of spells per day anyways, in a tight situation being able to use that 3rd spell is nice. One thing I like it for is casting defensive spells. Sometimes wasting a round to cast resist elements means taking more damage in the long run. Extend is nice, you'd have 30hr mage armors and bulls str's.

If you want to get cheesy take extend and persistent spell. You can give up a 7th level spell for a haste that lasts 24hrs or 5th level for an all day shield. But that's cheesy and I don't recommend trying that.

Crothian

First Post
Personally I like Repeat Spell and Twin Spell from T&B. The Energy ones are only good if you keep running into things with some sort of resistance. Empower is always good as well.

Voadam

Legend
For usefulness I would have to second the extend and persistent route for defensive and utility spells. This essentially makes them quickened as you don't have to waste time casting them in combat.

For sorcerer offensive capabilities I would suggest upping your DCs through spell focus and greater spell focus as these feats won't increase your casting time but do make them more potent. If you use charms this is particularly effective.

Psifon

First Post
Lord Ben said:
If you want to get cheesy take extend and persistent spell. You can give up a 7th level spell for a haste that lasts 24hrs or 5th level for an all day shield. But that's cheesy and I don't recommend trying that.

You cant make haste persistant- read the feat.

One suggestion would be expand spell. It doesn't increase your damage, but it will increase your areas of effect. Enlarge spell will do the same thing to cones and eminations.

I would agree that spell focus and improved spell focus are your best bets, but without knowing what spells you use, I'ts hard to recommned. Not all feats work well with all spells.

Sonic admixture is also a good favorite, and I would agree that maximize is not worth it, especially to a sorcerer.

James McMurray

First Post
I've got a sorcerer character who would disagree with maximize not being worthwhile. It has come in very handy, as it allowed him to forego damage dealing spells for 4th and 6th level. Being able to maximize Magic Missile or Lightning Bolt means his 4th level offensive spell could be confusion (useful against large groups, or when killing isn't preferred). He doesn't even have a 6th level offensive spell (unless you count Greater Dispelling, since it can be very devestating in the right circumstances).

I would suggest, if you just want to add damage, that you go for energy admixture. Doing 20d6 with a fireball or 30d6 with a cone of cold is relaly nice. If your DM lets you take sonic, I'd definitely got hat route, as few things have any sort of resistance to it.

I love energy substitution. If nothing else it allows my NPC's to appear to cast strange and exotic spells at the party without me actually having to create new spells all the time.

It is also useful for a party spellcaster who is sick of having to pick the crap spells for variety. Don't want to use that tired old fireball, fine just turn it into a sonic or acid ball for a little variety and better chance of damage.

Snofox

First Post
flare instead of fire

Sculpt Spell (T&B iirc) is a nice flare feat. doesn't affect damage directly, but changing the area of a spell can do wonders. Maximize is nice for those "awkward" 4th and 5th level spell slots (not many damage dealing spells at those levels). Twin Spell, Split Ray, and ummmm....Repeat Spell? (T&B again iirc, though maybe FRCS or MaoF) are nice too, but eat up some pretty high spell slots to cast.

Last edited:

mzsylver

Explorer
Energy Admixture. Energy Admixture. Energy Admixture. :D

besides fire & ice looking damn cool... it's very effective. or you could be lame and do sonic & acid.

Twin Spell, Repeat Spell, and Quicken Spell are also good choices.

RigaMortus

Explorer
Energy Admixture (Fire) from T&B
Pyro from S&S

Turn any damage spell with a descriptor (ie Melfs Acid Arrow) into a "Fire" version of itself. Then add +1 damage per die roll because of Pyro.

Remove ads