Chosen of the Overgods - Chapter 1: Temple of the Frog

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
When the first crystal spheres were formed in the phlogiston and the first planes coalesced in the Astral Plane, a council of gods was formed - the first gods. This council oversaw the creation of the spheres and each took on responsibility for one sphere. As time went on, membership on the council changed and fluctuated. Their very existence is practically unknown to mortals as even gods look up to and fear them.

Now, each of these ultimate beings has created a champion, a tiny portion of themselves, to travel the cosmos, righting the wrongs they find there and learning all that they can about mortal existence.

Welcome to...

Everything D&D Ever!

My goal is to play through every edition and every adventure ever published for D&D by TSR and Wizards of the Coast, excluding magazine adventures and relatively obscure stuff.

You may note that I tried this once before with a thread called Playing Dice with the Universe. That didn't take off for various reasons, partly because the basic premise ended up being flawed.

In this version, each player has a Core spirit that retains the memory of their adventures but not necessarily the skills and levels. The Character Core will have a few basic attributes that will advance over time but, for each adventure, you will create a new character around that Core. Each host character was an ordinary individual until inhabited by the Core spirit and will return to normal when the adventure is over and the spirit departs (though may serve as host again if the Core spirits return to that world within the character's lifetime).

Each Character Core is a fragment of an overdeity of one of the major worlds. You will have minor advantages when adventuring on the world from which your Core originates. Choose any official D&D published setting. Some have named overdeities, others do not, at least canonically, but all are eligible, including Earth. We will be excluding worlds that either a) I'll never be able to get my hands on, such as Lankhmar, and b) worlds licensed or borrowed from other companies (Rokugan, Diablo, Conan and a couple of others). Some of the named overdeities include:

The High God - Dragonlance
Ao - Forgotten Realms
The Lady of Pain - The Planes/Planescape

If you have a named overdeity you want to use, please cite a source.

We will be beginning with a somewhat house ruled version of the original D&D rules (house ruled to make them a bit easier to use and more in line with the 1981 basic set rules). In addition to the original boxed set, we will be using Supplements I-IV. If you don't have access to them, don't worry, character creation is relatively simple.

First, however, will be the Character Core. This is the primary spirit of all the characters you will play throughout this campaign, the spirit-fragment of an overdeity sent out to learn about the mortal creatures of the various worlds.

Alignment - Choose Law, Chaos, Neutrality, Good, or Evil as your Primary Alignment. Your characters will always be some variation of this alignment. For example, if Lawful is your primary alignment, your character will be Lawful in the basic rules, LG, LN or LE in AD&D, LG in 4E, etc.

Ability Scores

You have 25 points to spend on the classic six ability scores - Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. Every incarnation of the character will have the same scores and they will slowly advance at the rate of 1 point for every 10 levels actually earned during the course of adventuring. Because starting level will vary from adventure to adventure, editions where ability scores advance will not do so in the normal fashion for these characters.

3: +5 points
4: +4 points
5: +3 points
6: +2 points
7: +1 point
8: 0 points
9: 1 point
10: 2 point
11: 3 points
12: 4 points
13: 5 points
14: 6 points
15: 8 points
16: 10 points
17: 13 points
18: 16 points

Core Class - Choose an overall class grouping for your Character Core - Warrior, Wizard, Priest, or Rogue. Every incarnation of your character will have at least some element of that class group in their make-up, whether as the character's primary class or as part of a multi-class combination or some other variation. I'll provide a list of classes for each adventure that fit within each grouping.

Core Race - Choose a race for your Character Core - Human, Elf, Dwarf, or Halfling. Every incarnation of your character will usually, but not always, be a member of that race or a subrace or half-breed of it. Occasionally, the Character Core may occupy a "host" of a different race, but the character will still tend to exhibit characteristics of the Core race preference.

And that's it. We'll get into the specifics of your character for the first adventure, Temple of the Frog from OD&D Supplement II: Blackmoor after we get at least three players.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
OD&D (House Ruled) Character Creation

Background - Each "host" character for this installment should be from the City of Blackmoor, which is actually more of a town, nestled in a river valley in the mountainous region. Recent explorations in the north near the mouth of the river have uncovered something the city's mages and sages cannot fathom or explain. The Baron of Blackmoor has kept the discovery as quiet as possible, but rumors and whispers have circulated. The Baron has called forth a group of mercenaries and heroes to check out raiders and possibly a cult in the southern swamps and their homebase, the Temple of the Frog. The Baron fears that the rumors of the great discovery have reached the cult and that they may attempt to seize the discovery site.

"Host" characters will be about 5th level (20,000 experience points) at the beginning of the adventure and will likely gain two, possibly three levels during the course of the adventure.

After determining your Core ability scores, race, alignment, and class group, choose a specific class from the following options. Note that Monk is listed under three different groups as it is flexible enough to be considered a warrior, a priest, or a rogue, depending on how the player chooses to portray it.

Warrior Core
--Fighter
--Paladin (Must be Lawful and have a 17 Charisma)
--Monk (Must have 15 Wisdom, 12 Strength, and 15 Dexterity)

Wizard Core
--Magic-User

Priest Core
--Cleric
--Druid (Must be Neutral)

Rogue Core
--Thief
--Assassin (Must be Neutral and have 12 Strength, 12 Intelligence, and 12 Dexterity)

Details of your class choice will be provided once choices are made (to keep me from having to type out all of them). You may be multiclass (as long as one of your classes is within your Core group) but your XP will be divided evenly between your classes. Race determines which multiclass options are available. (Race details will also be provided once your choice is made to save cluttering up the thread with info that may not get used).

If your Core race is human or elf, you may elect for your "host" character for this adventure to be a half-elf.

Characters will begin with a +1 magic weapon, +1 armor or defensive item, one miscellaneous item of equivalent power to a +1 weapon, and 5 potions of healing, along with standard adventuring gear, a horse (and associated gear), and hirelings (animal handlers, camp guards, and other non-adventuring NPCs) up to the maximum allowed by the character's Charisma, though the character will need to concern themselves with paying these NPCs during the adventure if the NPCs are acquired.

Other details will be worked out on an individual basis based on your choices above. In addition to hirelings and retainers, the group will have the opportunity to bring on additional NPC adventurers if they feel that they need the extra help at the start of the adventure.

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Any ideas on race?

Here is the (house ruled) OD&D druid info to get you started on stats.

First, a note on my house rules - my OD&D house rules are designed to make it play smoother and bring it closer to BECMI. Conversely, I'll be house ruling BECMI to allow for some of the options OD&D has that BECMI doesn't when we get to that point (though things like druids and assassins will be name level options instead of 1st level options).

Druid

You are a servant of nature itself, also known as the Old Faith, and eschew the worship of gods. The Old Faith sees the gods as just as fickle as mortals and ultimately just as upsetting to the balance the Old Faith espouses. Balance in all things is nature's way and so it is your way.

Your "holy symbol" used in the casting of spells is a sprig of mistletoe.

You have the following special abilities:

1. Identify pure water.
2. Identify plants.
3. Identify animals (in this context, an animal is any naturally creature that currently exists or has existed at some point on Earth).
4. Pass through undergrowth (naturally occurring brambles, thorns, underbrush, etc).
5. Shapechange (gained at 5th level - you may assume the form of a mammal, bird, or reptile each once per day (that is, you can become a mammal once per day, a bird once per day, and a reptile once per day), ranging in size from a raven or house cat at the smallest to a small bear (black bear) at the largest. Upon doing so, you heal 10 to 60% of any damage you have suffered).
6. Immune to the charm effects of woodland and water creatures (nixies, dryads, etc).
7. Able to speak the Druidic language. At 5th and 6th level, choose an additional language from the following - Pixie, Nixie, Dryad, Elvish, Treant, Hill Giant, Centaur, Manticore, and Green Dragon (note that some of these are dialects of a greater language and you will be able to communicate passably with other creatures with other dialects - for example, your knowledge of the Hill Giant dialect will enable you to have a rough and basic conversation with a stone giant).
8. Weapons are limited to daggers, sickles, crescent-shaped swords (scimitars), spears, slings, and oil.
9. Armor is limited to leather armor and wooden shields.
10. +2 bonus on all saving throws against fire-based effects.

Druids have an obligation to protect the woodlands, animals, and plants. Most druids will seek retribution against those who harm nature, rather than intervene in the act itself.

Level Title (6th Level, 20,000 XP): Initiate of the 5th Circle
Hit Points - 5d6
Spells Per Day: 3 1st, 2 2nd, 2 3rd

1st Level Druid Spells - Predict Weather, Locate Animals, Detect Snares & Pits, Detect Magic, Purify Water, Faerie Fire

2nd Level Druid Spells - Produce Flame, Locate Plants, Speak with Animals, Cure Light Wounds, Obscurement, Create Water, Heat Metal, Warp Wood

3rd Level Druid Spells - Pyrotechnics, Protection from Fire, Call Lightning, Cure Disease, Hold Animal, Plant Growth, Water Breathing, Neutralize Poison

Saving Throws for a 6th Level Druid (and Cleric)

Death Ray or Poison: 9
Magic Wands: 10
Paralysis or Turn to Stone: 12
Dragon Breath: 14
Rod, Staff, or Spell: 13

Attack Rolls for a 6th Level Druid (and Cleric)

17 to hit AC 0

willvr

First Post
The core race will be dwarf; but I don't believe druids can be dwarves.

Question: If I'm 6th level, why do I only have 5d6 HP?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
A quirk of the OD&D hit dice chart that I didn't house rule.

1st Level: Aspirant - 1 hit die
2nd Level: Initiate of the 1st Circle - 2 hit dice
3rd Level: Initiate of the 2nd Circle - 3 hit dice
4th Level: Initiate of the 3rd Circle - 3+1 hit dice
5th Level: initiate of the 4th Circle - 4 hit dice
6th Level: Initiate of the 5th Circle - 5 hit dice
7th Level: Initiate of the 6th Circle - 6 hit dice
8th Level: Initiate of the 7th Circle - 7 hit dice
9th Level: Initiate of the 8th Circle - 7+1 hit dice
10th Level: Initiate of the 9th Circle - 8 hit dice
11th Level: Druid - 9 hit dice
12th Level: Archdruid - 10 hit dice
13th Level: Great Druid - 11 hit dice

Dwarves have a level limit of 7 as clerics and druids are a subclass of clerics in this version, so I will allow a dwarf druid, though you'll only be able to gain one level during the adventure. If that doesn't appeal to you, your Core race can be dwarf, but the "host" character can be a human with a heavily dwarven influenced background - raised by dwarves, mentored by a dwarf in some capacity, or otherwise influenced by dwarven culture.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
For the curious, the specific house rules I'm making to OD&D are relatively simple - I'm using BECMI attack roll tables and saving throws and not using psionics (as presented in Supplement III: Eldritch Wizardry). Everything else is pulled straight from OD&D as much as possible.

Remove ads