• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Chris Perkins to DM Rise of Tiamat session for Gametrailers

Rhenny

Adventurer
I loved this session. It was less staged than Acquisitions, Inc., more like a game that could happen around a normal table. Lots of roleplaying and a number of complications that were caused by the PCs themselves. The players did a great job not gaming the system, and playing their characters to create an awesome story that fit right into the 3 hour time period.

I won't lay down spoilers if anyone wants to watch, but the story was central to the game rather than combat. Chris Perkins built suspense masterfully, first by cutting back and forth between the party and one party member who went off on his own, and second by developing NPCs and monsters that interacted with the party instead of just attacking them. Often, the NPCs would give clues about the real threat in the adventure which basically acted like a ticking time bomb.

I've watched some of the GT game sessions, but this really brought them out and made them play more fluidly.

If you like combat, this is not a session for you. If you like story and roleplaying, this is a great exemplar.

Xenu

First Post
I thought it was interesting to see how Chris handled things. I would have sucked as a DM for this group. I can't stand players that do the whole in-party bickering thing (I'm looking at you, Red Shirt.) I also thought the senseless killing by Mist was a bit much. There should have been repercussions from immediately stabbing someone in the face. Blood on the stairs alerting others to the act... maybe seeing tears roll out from the eyes of the victim as the life drains away... I dunno... just ... something. Yeah, the PC was secretly psychotic and that may have been in-character. But, that's a pretty harsh background to have to begin with.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I thought it was interesting to see how Chris handled things. I would have sucked as a DM for this group. I can't stand players that do the whole in-party bickering thing (I'm looking at you, Red Shirt.) I also thought the senseless killing by Mist was a bit much. There should have been repercussions from immediately stabbing someone in the face. Blood on the stairs alerting others to the act... maybe seeing tears roll out from the eyes of the victim as the life drains away... I dunno... just ... something. Yeah, the PC was secretly psychotic and that may have been in-character. But, that's a pretty harsh background to have to begin with.

I agree with you. I hate when PCs fight with each other.

In my games, I try to make sure that the group has a shared bond or purpose so that they will not be tempted to fight or steal from each other. I guess for a one-shot, it is a change of pace, and Perkins was very good at working the players over.

wedgeski

Adventurer
OMG, these guys. 42 minutes in and they're already attacking each-other.

Enjoying it, but would've preferred to see something a bit different.

Nemio

First Post
I find Ben (the Paladin) quite annoying which I find surprising since he was/is the DM in the normal D&D adventures they post and had to face the same in-party conflict before himself.

Perhaps he wanted to test a more experienced DM or he was just glad he could be a player for once.

Remove ads