• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Chris Perkins to DM Rise of Tiamat session for Gametrailers

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I find Ben (the Paladin) quite annoying which I find surprising since he was/is the DM in the normal D&D adventures they post and had to face the same in-party conflict before himself.

Perhaps he wanted to test a more experienced DM or he was just glad he could be a player for once.
Yeah, he's the instigator. He is worse than Lawful Stupid, in my opinion. His very first action is to threaten to murder an innocent ferret. Later, he wants to murder the seal hunters in cold blood. Even if his trait is "bloodthirsty," I can't believe that these are "good" actions.

This group seems to have more than one player who wants to stab innocent NPC's almost immediately.

Edit: Spoiler alert[sblock]The paladin does save and carry the unconscious cleric out of danger. He even offers her his holy symbol when she draws the short straw and sails off into almost-certain death alone (to draw the dragon away from the others).[/sblock]

Last edited:

sgtscott658

First Post
Hi-

Yes he is, it is, it is Episode 2 Sea of Moving Ice. The players he was DM'ing were morons and annoying, thankfully Chris is a class act and dealed with the goofyness as best as he could. I almost felt sorry for him at times. Then there was that dude with the funny hair doo, every five minutes he had to flick his his doo back.

Scott

For those who have the adventure, is Chris following everything as it is written or did he make stuff up?

Geeknamese

Explorer
Hi-

Yes he is, it is, it is Episode 2 Sea of Moving Ice. The players he was DM'ing were morons and annoying, thankfully Chris is a class act and dealed with the goofyness as best as he could. I almost felt sorry for him at times. Then there was that dude with the funny hair doo, every five minutes he had to flick his his doo back.

Scott

I actually think that was a great crew that played with the exception of the paladin, who is a DM and should know better than to cause in-party conflict. Everybody really played up their characters and it was a very entertaining watch. I think this is the the game should be played with the story at the forefront and the combat as drama that moves along with and as a part of the story. I also liked that they were not bogged with the mechanics of the game and Chris would just allow them to do what they envisioned their characters doing. Awesome stuff!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Ugh. I'm almost an hour in and a few of the characters are making it a far from entertaining experience for me. Just so obnoxious. I haven't seen these folks play before, so I don't know if they're normally like this.

Edit: It's getting better.

I couldn't watch it, they were so annoying.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
This group has been together for nine sessions; they seem to know what to expect from each other--for the most part. The players clearly had fun, so they must have been doing something right!

Rhenny

Adventurer
I think people are being too harsh on the group (even the Paladin). It is clear that they were more attracted to roleplaying than solely optimizing their strategy and "winning" the game. This is a terrific example of people just playing a one shot adventure for fun. The players did play their characters for better or worse and their blunders added complications that Perkins and the players dealt with in game.

Hey, did anyone else notice that the martials in the game only made 1 attack per round? I wonder why they didn't make their extra attacks (I think they were level 5 or over, yes?)

Remove ads