• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chunk of Meat

taliesin15

First Post
calighis writes:
Is there any animal on this planet that isn't delicious?

Yes. Most predators don't taste very good, apparently. Shark is probably the worst seafood I've ever eaten, only palatable if grilled with a lot of butter/oil, garlic and lemon. Birds of prey taste horrible. Cats are probably the only cute mammals that taste wretched.

I heard about an adventurous Frenchman in the 19th century who tasted every animal on the planet, and reportedly the worst tasting according to him is the mole. Other digging mammals such as weasels, ferrets and badgers were close on the list. OTOH, Rabbit, I can attest to personally, is absolutely wonderful eating, and singularly underrated. Frankly, Rabbits are way overpopulated (as are Deer and Feral Pigs) in the USA due to lack of natural predators, and serious environmentalists would be doing us all a favor by eating them more often.

Allegro

First Post
This could also open up a role-playing opportunity to get a foot into the criminal underground. The PCs approach a butcher who kicks them out of the store in front of many patrons. As the PCs leave the butcher shop another man in blood soaked apron and holding a cleaver motions the PCs into an alleyway. Rat is most definitely not on the official menu but what the customers don’t know will not hurt them. Depending on how depraved your campaign is perhaps the butcher has a client who loves the taste of lizard man. A less depraved suggestion might be to rustle up some cattle.

Vegepygmy

First Post
Shark is probably the worst seafood I've ever eaten, only palatable if grilled with a lot of butter/oil, garlic and lemon.
I don't know what kind of shark you've eaten, but I've had it many times, and I think it's delicious. Here's a link to an article that says shark is the best-selling fish in Victoria, Australia: The Shark Side

Starbuck_II

First Post
calighis writes:

Yes. Most predators don't taste very good, apparently. Shark is probably the worst seafood I've ever eaten, only palatable if grilled with a lot of butter/oil, garlic and lemon. Birds of prey taste horrible. Cats are probably the only cute mammals that taste wretched.
Bears is delicious...is that because it is an omnivore?

roguerouge

First Post
Can't believe this quote hasn't been used yet:

Jules, from Pulp Fiction: "Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy mother-fu**ers. Pigs sleep and root in sh**. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eating nothing that ain't got sense enough to disregard his own feces."

roguerouge

First Post
I'd tell the player that this is an excellent opportunity to appall the LG. He should skip the middle man and sell direct to the bums of the town. It's like altruism, except you make money!

taliesin15

First Post
the original poster wrote:
Hackmaster, IMO, does a good job of providing the value of creatures. Are there any good 3PP supplements for appraising dead d20 monsters and animals?
Keep in mind Hackmaster is a parody d20 system. IMC, you can't really sell monster meat to most butchers or markets.

But to give you some guidelines, from my campaign here's the pricelist at a typical butcher's shop--that of Horktryg the Butcher (1st lvl Commoner) in the Town of Cranthir. (each price per pound, raw unless specified, preserved with salt) Beef/Pork/Mutton (common cuts,/avg. price) 6sp, Beef Ribeye Steaks 15sp, Chicken 2sp, Boar 1 gp, Venison 2 gp, Duck 9 sp, Goose 12 sp, Quail/Pheasant 15 sp, Wild Cattle/Buffalo 8sp, Freshwater Eel 3 sp, Freshwater Trout 1 gp, Smoked Trout 15 sp.

Note that these prices break in a similar way at Taverns and Restaurants--which btw, is another potential market for adventurers looking to sell game. Kevid is the Innkeeper of The Silver Sail (4th lvl Expert), here's a few menu items: Herb Roasted Chicken 7sp, Roast Coney with Root Veggies 12sp, Roast Mutton with Taters 2gp, Side of Roast Wild Boar with Trimmings 3gp, Roast Venison with Sauce and Trimmings 4gp

akbearfoot

First Post
total bed rest gives a character 2hp/day recovered...4 if someone who isnt injured can make a DC 15 heal check(iirc)....someone with 4 ranks in heal and a +1 wisdom bonus can take 10 on that check.

If your party has noone who can cast healing spells AND noone who even bothered to take the heal skill, then you should have either try to convince someone to swap around a few skill pts or you need to supply the PCs with a NPC healer to help bandage them up after they get beat up.

Most people would retire at lv1 if they had to rest for a week every time they got into a fight.

Corbert

Explorer
Good stuff taliesin15. Whats your take on dragon steaks?

I seem to remember an issue of Dragon (can't remember the #) that talked about eating dragons. Supposedly the flesh of dragons contains too many heavy metal to safely consume. Of course in your campaign YMMV.

Remove ads