• Triumph

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Victory

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Virtue

Votes: 7 18.9%

Agamon

Adventurer
Did anyone here play in the beta, think it wasn't much fun, but stuck with it and are now enjoying themselves? Has it changed much since beta?

I thought the game would be great, but upon experiencing it in beta, for about a month, up until they closed for launch, I found it wasn't fun enough to pay the monthly fee. I have a lot of fun on PW servers in NWN already, it just didn't make any sense to me. Sure, it looked awesome, and PC generation is way cool (I made pics for my PbP MnM games with it :)), but the play was a bit dull, I thought.

I actually talked some friends into checking it out, and their now playing it, but I'm still not convinced to fork over that amount of cash for something that didn't really appeal to me when I got to try it for free.

javapadawan

First Post
Express said:
Well according to a release by Cryptic shortly after CoH went live, CoV won't change the core gameplay of the game. I guess alot of ppl were concerned about this and of finding themselves in an archetype that is useless for PvP. But if I recall they said something to the effect that PvP will be consensual.

True, I would probably be more surprised if the PvP wasn't consentual. Plus, as DMScott pointed out, it will likely be awhile before I'll even need to worry about it.

Agamon said:
Did anyone here play in the beta, think it wasn't much fun, but stuck with it and are now enjoying themselves? Has it changed much since beta?

I started in the beta around the same time you did, roughly a month before launch, and from what I can tell, the game has changed very little. Unfortunately, if you didn't care for it before, it's unlikely you'll find any significant difference now.

CrusaderX said:
It would be cool to put together an EN World superteam. We're probably all scattered on different servers, but we could start from scratch on a common server sometime. That's one of the great things about the game - there are SO many cool characters to create, and its alot of fun to try new power sets and character concepts.

I agree. Maybe we can set up a poll, see what server most people would prefer? (I think these boards have that feature, don't they? I know I've seen them around, but I don't know how to post one.) Server names are: Champion, Freedom, Guardian, Infinity, Justice, Liberty, Pinnacle, Protector, Triumph, Victory, and Virtue, if anyone is so inclined.

Express

First Post
KenM said:
I tryed EQ and hated it, but do any of you that have played CoH think its worth it? It looks interesting and I keep hearing about all the options you have with how your character looks, i might give it a shot as long as its not another EQ.

I played EQ as well as almost every other MMO. City of Heroes doesnt do anything all that different than most MMOs. Its not really revolutionary. But it is so streamilined.

First there is creation which really makes you invest in your toon. And you can tweak the kind of powers you want by picking the primary and secondary power for your archetype.

Also for me, thw whole superhero mileu just gives it a different vibe. So many characters are now appropriate: elven wizards, goth tankers, alien controllers of gravity, undead cowboys, giant fighting robots. All fit in and slightly irreverent names work here too, names that are more suited for the Tick than Superman. So self expression is a big appeal.

Gameply wise, there is no real loot, no crafting and really no real economy (this will certainly change Im sure when layers begin to gain high levels and are able to trade single origin enchancements). Gameplyboils down to grabbing a group or going solo to do missions or cruising around the city fighting the numerous enemies in the city. Combat basically.

Grouping seems a bit different in CoH IMHO. Turn on your seek team flag and someone will invite you. Theres often little /tell "do you want to join our group" talk. Everyone can see the mission waypoint and rendevous, so things usually get rolling fairly quickly. And the archetypes are very flexible in filling a teams needs, so there no hanging aorund trying to find a "cleric" although helaers are often very sought after.

In short, everything seems to move quicker, groups are often fluid with ppl coming and going. Battle can get quite large involving large numbers of enemies.

My only gripe with the game is the bad manners of some players. While most missions are "instanced" and private for just you and your team, some missions are outside ones that involve, for instance, killing 10 bad guys. This, along with the design of some zones seems to cause some of the rampant killstealing that occurs in some areas. This isnt helped by the fact that 3 of the 5 archetypes have ranged attacks. However, if you partake in combat you still get a share of the xp, but its annoying. Hopefully as the noobs settle down and the servers get older and etiqutte develops this will die down.

But enough of my rambling. Its not EQ, but a distant cousin. Its really just combat but its soo much fun.

javapadawan said:
I agree. Maybe we can set up a poll, see what server most people would prefer? (I think these boards have that feature, don't they? I know I've seen them around, but I don't know how to post one.) Server names are: Champion, Freedom, Guardian, Infinity, Justice, Liberty, Pinnacle, Protector, Triumph, Victory, and Virtue, if anyone is so inclined.

As for a server, Id vote for one of the few that still have light loads most of the time like Protector or Champion. All the servers seem to hit medium on the weekends. Let the poll commence!

Last edited:

Asketh for a Poll and thou shalt recieveth!

Naturaly I'm going to go with Champions, as that's where I am now and as stated it tends to stay pretty light on load.

I've left the poll open to multiple servers, but please try to limit your choices to the main and a back-up 'meeting server' to keep the eventual choices clearer.

Last edited:

Enforcer

Explorer
I voted for Virtue, that's where all my folks currently are. But, I'd be more than willing to create a new guy (or create a twin of one of my current ones) on a new server for some EN World fun.

Dreeble

First Post
Heya:

Something quick about the game: Super Jump is my absolute favorite power. This is what it's like being the Hulk. Well, maybe not 2 mile jumps, but certainly 2 football field jumps (with a height of, say, 5 stories?). Totally love it as a travel power. Great for escaping, too. I have a toggle that goes between Combat Jumping and Super Jump. Click it and immediately jump away. Also, for bad guys that run or port, autofollow the mob and super jump to them. Wonderful.

Take care,
Dreeble (Frangere on Liberty, 17th lvl Magic Dark Melee/Super Reflexes Scrapper)

DMScott

First Post
bolen said:
Has anyone played this on a 56K modem, do I need DSL if I want to play rather then waaaaaiiittt?

The box lists 56K as minimum, broadband recommended. I don't personally know anyone who plays on a modem, but some folks who do have posted on the vault and the official boards, sounds like it's playable on 56K though a bit laggy in crowded situations.

Remove ads