City of the Dead: A Zombie Apocalypse (Recruiting?)

Kaodi

Hero
I have been thinking about running something for a while, particular something inspired by Kingmaker. However... If I do end up running this game, it is not going to be using the Kingmaker rules.

Here is what I am thinking. Actually, before I say what I am thinking, I encourage you to look for a pair of games on Kongregate: Play free games online called Rebuild and Rebuild 2, which focus on a group of survivors in a zombie infested town that retake it block by block. This is sort of what I am thinking about for this game, or rather it is part of the inspiration at least.

As for the setting of the game: As far as you can guess the entire world has been enveloped by a plague of zombies. The plague is so terrible in fact that the gods of this world have abandoned hope of saving it and have turned their gaze elsewhere entirely. Your group of survivors find themselves almost smack in the middle of a sprawling metropolis. Escape into the wilderness holds little promise, as the animals have succumb to the plague as well, thus while the city is infested, it at least offers hiding places, walls, and some supplies. Most wildlife is of the sort we would be familiar with. Extraordinary creatures are often few and far between, and are commonly unique. Who knows if any still live.

As for character creation...

Everyone must be human. Other races may exist, but if they do, they do not exist here. I am not sure whether I will even introduce other humanoids.
Abilities are derived using 10 points. Zombie apocalypses, after all, are about survivors and attrition, not epic heroes. As well, you may choose to have one ability score be 8 or 9, but the rest must be 10 or higher.

Classes allowed are the alchemist, barbarian, cavalier, fighter, magus, monk, rogue, and wizard. Others may become available later on. The main thing here is in addition to divine power being severely curtailed, I do not want there to be any classes that get spells known automatically, or be able to cast spontaneously. In fact, one change for alchemist, magus, and wizard is that they do not gain new spells known automatically at level up. Spells should feel like a valuable treasure in this game. Also, any spells you have in the beginning should come from the Core Rulebook and the Advanced Player's Guide. And do not take Eschew Materials.

I ask that for this game you only use material found the actual Pathfinder Reference Document found on Paizo's website.

New characters start at level 1. That goes for replacement characters as well.

In terms of equipment... It should be sparse. Characters are assumed to have been surviving here for a while before the game starts, so potentially have had access to a lot of free stuff. However, they are also assumed to have survived by having been speedy and mobile. So rule number one is that whatever equipment a new character has must constitute no more than a light load or reduce their speed below 30 ft. No magical or masterwork items, and you may have no " combat gear " type items (edit: meaning expendables found under special substances and items), nor anything that helps healing. And no food. Otherwise, I think it is pretty much free game, though if I think anyone has stuff that feels inappropriate I may ask them to change it. Basically you should be equipped as if you lived on the run in a Hell hole where there were no supplies and no hope, ;) .

Lastly... I only want people who can commit to posting at bare minimum once every two days, and I would prefer once a day. Four to six people is probably about the size I will take, though it may be more or less depending on how much I like or dislike the character proposals.

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
Usually when someone posts a Pathfinder game, it takes about thirty seconds for someone to show interest in it. I can take the hint. I guess this concept is a flop. Oh well.

Shayuri

First Post
Hee.

It's been one day, man. And a weekend at that.

Patience.

Or not. Your choice, of course.

I'd totally jump at it, but I think I'm at (maybe even a teensy bit over) my limit as far as new games go.

Good luck! Don't give up!

Walking Dad

First Post
Usually when someone posts a Pathfinder game, it takes about thirty seconds for someone to show interest in it. I can take the hint. I guess this concept is a flop. Oh well.
Actually I'm not interested in the usual Pathfinder games. I dislike the Christmas tree effect, higher starting level (and item shopping) and caster supremacy as well as rolling abilities.

But your game dodges most of my issues (still don't like the skill system) and I love zombie games!

So you have me, if you want, most probably with a fighter.

Do you allow archetypes from the APG?

BTW: If you don't get enough interest, you should maybe try another system. Could well be that 'true' Pathfinder fans don't like underdog survival stories.

Damage Inc.

First Post
Firstly I would like to say I am interested in this game because I am a huge fan of killing zombies.

Now to the reason for the lack of interest...this could be directly contributed to the restrictions you have placed on the game itself. A point buy of 10 is very very low and no combat gear? The first thing I would do is hit the guard houses taking any weapons, armor, and/or other usful equipment. Now if your intentions are to play this out IC thats fine. I'll watch this thread see what comes of it.

What I intend to play, when and if this game sees the light of day, is a rogue.

Walking Dad

First Post
Now if your intentions are to play this out IC thats fine.
I'm assuming this. 10 is maybe a bit low, but that will make standard zombies just more challenging. Effectively the same as more points and the advanced template on everything.

What about tools that work as improvised weapons? I was pondering being a town's blacksmith apprentice.

Edit: And welcome to this community, Damage Inc.

Last edited:

Damage Inc.

First Post
10 is maybe a bit low, but that will make standard zombies just more challenging.

This is very true.

What about tools that work as improvised weapons? I was pondering being a town's blacksmith apprentice.

I was thinking this as well. The spade could be used as a handaxe and a blacsmith's hammer could be a throwing hammer or light mace.

And welcome to this community, Damage Inc.

Thank you and hope to have many games here.

Kaodi

Hero
I think I have perhaps been a little ambiguous with the " no combat gear " thing. I mistakenly assumed that everyone would immediately understand how Pathfinder stat blocks are often presented. By " combat gear " I meant things like alchemist's fire, antitoxin, holy water, tanglefoot bags, et cetera. Most of that stuff is found under " Special Substances and Items " in the equipment lists. I do not intend for you to have to start fighting zombies with improvised weapons, :) . Though if you want to, I could reconsider, ;) .

Remove ads