• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

City Supplement - Your favorite?

Treebore

First Post
Sorry Nightfall. Hallow makes more sense to me than Hollow, so that is why I keep misspelling it.

Apparently Nobeard has similar issues with spelling it as Hollow.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Apparently so. Point is the book says "Hollowfaust" not Hallowfaust. :p I mean should I start spelling Ptolus, Potus or something like that?

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Heh. I only own a couple of city supplements, Calimport, Raven's Bluff, Skullport, and Ptolus. Raven's Bluff was cool, written sort of in a tour guidish way. Ptolus is awesome. Skullport is interest; has some interesting places/people. Calimport is okay. Wish the maps were better detailed than simply black squares on white paper.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

I have quite a few city books I like including Freeport (although I agree that the goofyness jars with the original trilogy), Bluffside, Sharn, Hollowfaust, City of Splendors: Waterdeep etc etc. My favourite, based on what I've seen and read so far, has to be Ptolus which has set a very high bar.

Cheers

Richard

trancejeremy

Adventurer
City State of the Invincible Overlord is probably the best single city book, though it might not fit all settings. Probably my favorite.

Bluffside is actually probably a better city book than above, but has a lot of weird setting that that you probably will chuck out. Like dragon people and it's got a weird background (a city founded by Archaelogists?)

Freeport, besides the jokes, is actually a little scant on the city part. A lot of the book is actually extra rules and such. You really need Denizens of Freeport to flesh it out (though you can get that book pretty cheaply).

Bard's Gate is pretty good. But like Freeport in having a lot more extras when it needed more fleshing out (there's like 16 sections of the city, or something like that, but some only get 3-4 pages). But OTOH, it's extras are more useful, being 2 adventures and the Gods of the Necromancer Games setting.

Hollowfaust is pretty good, but somewhat Scarred Lands specific. Not too much. Small-ish book though. Same with their Sin City book (Shelzar). Both worth picking up cheap, though.

Though they are adventures, Lost City of Barakus & Grey Citadel do a pretty decent job of describing cities.

I like 7 Cities a lot, but the smaller towns are the more interesting ones, not the cities.

Shadizar for Conan is probably the worst I've ever seen. Glad I didn't buy it (traded for it).

Remove ads